The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Apr 23, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #6,601 of 22,434
Here's my summary of all the TOTL headphones I've tried. I'm not a professional reviewer, so I'll just speak in words that make sense to me...

Sennheiser HD800S - the soundstage was unlike anything I had heard at the time, but the bass was lacking for a TOTL headphone. It was great for acoustic, classical, jazz, but anything heavy like rock or rap, I didn't really enjoy on them. Sold these to get the HE1000v2.

HE1000v2 - from deep bass to crystal highs, very nice sounding. Does nothing wrong, but to me, nothing really stood out either. I was initially blown away by them because they were my first high-end planar magnetic headphones and it's the first time I experienced bass like this. The sound stage was fantastic and the bass went deep and was accurate. Comfort was fantastic, I could wear them all day. But, it was tough to really connect with the music for some reason, it wasn't engaging enough to keep me excited. They've been described as laid back and I have to agree. I got bored of them quickly.

Focal Utopia - beautiful tone across the frequency range, a very close-up and intimate sound stage, pinpoint imaging accuracy, subdued but very accurate bass response. Very nice detail retrieval, but organic, not overly revealing. Build quality is top notch, comfort is fantastic. Paired with my Woo Audio WA8, it's a keeper. The WA8 adds a nice warmth to the low end, compensating for the subdued bass. The intimate soundstage is actually something that I enjoy at times, depending on the music.

Abyss 1266 Phi - this headphone is in another league from all the ones above. I admire how different and daring the design is. At first, I thought these would be a pain to wear, but they might actually be even more comfortable than the others because, when worn properly, they don't put any pressure around your ears. I like the fact that tweaking the fit of the headphones gives me a lot of control over their sound. I can control the bass extension and amount by simply bringing them closer to my head to lower and adding more space between them and my ears for more bass extension. And what bass...it's uncanny how life-like it is. Listening to thunder on these is like hearing it in real life. The sound stage is massive when called for. Binaural recordings really trip my brain up because it just doesn't sound like the sound is coming from the headphones. I can actually hear the sound of the air in recordings. I don't know how else to explain it. I get a sense of the room from the quiet parts because there's so much detail in the soundstage. Their presence, earth rumbling bass, the airy soundstage, the comfort, the physicality of the music is unbelievable. The resolution these provide is at another level. The level of detail you hear across the frequency range and especially the bass region is unmatched. These are the most revealing headphones I've ever heard. NOTE: The pair I got has some issues passing frequency sweep tests without creating rattles, so I am having to keep the volume at a point where I don't get any rattles, which is a volume I'd describe as just under loud. Even then, I'm simply blown away and will be acquiring a pair soon. Also, I'm a little surprised how well these are driven out of my Hugo 2 and even the Woo WA8. They have a reputation of needing a really good amp, but my two little portable amps are doing a great job at getting perfectly listenable levels of volume out of them.

20180420_175217.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2018 at 11:36 PM Post #6,602 of 22,434
I recently got a pair of the Phi and I am still trying to find my best fit. I keep going over this statement on the website:

... these headphones are designed not to clamp your head, but rather float atop and loosely touch your ears...

this may sound silly but I don't really understand what float atop and loosely touch your ears is supposed to mean or look like. I've currently positioned the pads to be at 11 O'Clock and I can feel them lightly pressed against my head and when I am unconsciously nodding my head as I am listening to music on these cans, I can feel the pads slightly shifting around my ears. is this normal? I also tried placing the pads at the 10 O'Clock position and when I look up and down while wearing these cans, they seem to slide around more than I would like them to. so I am keep the pads at the 11 O'Clock position where it seems to be more "secure" and will withstand some reasonable amount of head-banging while listening to music.

any pics would help to illustrate how this "float atop and loosely touch your ears" is supposed to look like . thank you for helping me :)

Apr 23, 2018 at 11:51 PM Post #6,603 of 22,434
any pics would help to illustrate how this "float atop and loosely touch your ears" is supposed to look like . thank you for helping me

Yes, they should lightly touch your ear, but they should allow a little bit of air in too. I have the pads in the 10 o'clock position looking at the right one, frame is extended out all the way. Like you'd want to easily pass a credit card between your head and the headphones, minimal contact. I also have them angled back so, they shape better around the back of my head and open up in the front a bit. That angle is what I adjust usually when trying to control the bass, tilted towards the front for less and tilted towards the back and allow the front more gap for increased bass. I usually wear a hat to allow a little more of a gap between the headphones and my head since this increases the bass extension even more. I'll PM you some pics. It's hard to show in pictures unless I have someone else take them. The underside leading towards the back of the headphones have the biggest gap, to the point where I can slide my pinky in and touch the back of my earlobe, the front and top side makes the most contact of all the sides.

How are you enjoying them so far?

Attachments

• 20180423_234205.jpg
    20180423_234205.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20180423_233859.jpg
    20180423_233859.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 0
  • 20180423_234525.jpg
    20180423_234525.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 24, 2018 at 1:50 AM Post #6,604 of 22,434
@ra990 thank you very much for the pics - I will continue to adjust mine. that sentence about being able to pass a credit card through the gap between the pad and my ear helps me to visualise how I should position the headphones atop my head. I really like how the cans sound and I'm just trying to ensure I am wearing them the right way to get the best out of them. having said that, I just can't believe how much time and effort it takes to just be able to wear them the "right way" :beyersmile: you can't just slip these on I suppose! but I do believe that the initial time and effort will pay off :)

Apr 24, 2018 at 7:17 AM Post #6,605 of 22,434
My ear pads securely touch my skull and jaw area all the way around with no gap but no compression either and getting there was highly interactive with the rotated position of the pads. When I got it right for me I knew it right away, I could turn my head left / right with no slippage unless I whipped it quickly. The headband pressure was soft, almost like a trampoline if I bobbed my head up / down quickly.

The opposite of lightly for me head is my Senn HD600, it's a head vice with a lot of top down and side of the skull pad pressure.

Of course it will all vary the shape and size of one's head. And with use the pads seemed to start to conform to my head better.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2018 at 3:51 AM Post #6,606 of 22,434
I did the zip tie + Velcro mod to allow the headband wrap around my head more. With this, the Abyss is by far the most comfortable headphones I ever had. At least for me, weight is really not an issue (I’ve worn motorcycle helmets for hours at a time, and the Abyss is very light compared to even open face helmets).

I believe I have my pads set at 10 o’clock; the thickest part of the pad is behind and under my ear, where incidentally the largest gap naturally occurs. If I move the pads forward so they just slightly touch my ear, I get the most natural bass response. If I slide them backwards, at least for me, this greatly increases the low to mid bass levels, but causes it to bloom more (normally the bass is extremely well controlled. It could be this reduces the sealing of the pad with my face, but I believe it could also be creating a resonant space that amplifies a narrow bass frequency.

Apr 25, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #6,607 of 22,434
I did the zip tie + Velcro mod to allow the headband wrap around my head more. With this, the Abyss is by far the most comfortable headphones I ever had. At least for me, weight is really not an issue (I’ve worn motorcycle helmets for hours at a time, and the Abyss is very light compared to even open face helmets).

Is there a link to this mod somewhere? I'm still trying to get through the several hundred pages of this thread and don't think I've come across it yet.

Apr 25, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #6,609 of 22,434
Hey, thanks so much for trying and reporting back. I think the drivers on the rental unit I received had just recently been replaced, so they need to settle in a bit. I have to keep the volume on the tests pretty low to prevent rattles. I'm definitely interested in purchasing them, so good to know other units don't have that issue.

Do you get rattles when they're on your head? A bad / no seal could potentially be causing it - if you just sit the headphones on the stand and let them play with nothing in front of the drivers they will distort pretty bad so if the mic you're measuring with doesn't get much of a seal that could be a cause. I get distortion with lower powered portables as well but it is a non issue on something with more head room.

Apr 25, 2018 at 10:55 PM Post #6,611 of 22,434
Do you get rattles when they're on your head? A bad / no seal could potentially be causing it - if you just sit the headphones on the stand and let them play with nothing in front of the drivers they will distort pretty bad so if the mic you're measuring with doesn't get much of a seal that could be a cause. I get distortion with lower powered portables as well but it is a non issue on something with more head room.
Yea, with the unit I currently have the rattle occurs even when they're on my head until I adjust the fit and volume till it goes away. I find it seems to be getting better, it may be a breaking in/settling thing. I have a loaner pair that may have had their drivers swapped out recently. In any case, I have just officially placed my order today, so I'll be getting a brand new set in a few weeks!

Apr 25, 2018 at 11:03 PM Post #6,612 of 22,434
Has anybody tried earpad mods?

I found that opening up the front a little more than the toe in mechanism allows really kicks up the sub/bass even more. Simply putting a finger in to make a little space between the earpad and my head has a dramatic effect. I am currently putting soft earbud tips between the earpad and my head to make a little indentation, right in front of my ears at the level of my eyes, and the results are pretty damn amazing. I wonder if putting some ports on the earpads would have the same effect? Maybe perforated pads would have a similar effect as well? Obviously not suitable for all music, but might be interesting to try for music that benefits from really heavy bass.

20180425_230041.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2018 at 11:04 PM Post #6,613 of 22,434
Yea, with the unit I currently have the rattle occurs even when they're on my head until I adjust the fit and volume till it goes away. I find it seems to be getting better, it may be a breaking in/settling thing. I have a loaner pair that may have had their drivers swapped out recently. In any case, I have just officially placed my order today, so I'll be getting a brand new set in a few weeks!

Yessssssss. Hope you love them as much as you have been dude!

Apr 29, 2018 at 12:30 AM Post #6,615 of 22,434
Can I get a clarification /confirmation on the alternative cables that can be used with the Abyss? My understanding is that the connection type is mini XLR and that cables that work on Audeze and XMF headphones will also work with the Abyss. It's this correct?

But then I also recently heard that there is mini XLR with 4 pin and 3 pin. Abyss uses 3 pin while Audeze and XMF uses 4 pin.

Another question, are the adaptors that are used at the other end to connect to the amp interchangeable between the different brands?

Basically I am happy with the stock cable but for convenience around the home, I wouldn't mind picking up a used short cable.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• vtvu
Back