The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Nov 19, 2017 at 3:37 PM Post #6,136 of 22,468
I've been following this post closely, and I apologize because the question has obviously been addressed. Before I take the upgrade plunge, I just want to confirm that the consensus is that the Phi is definitely a significant step up from the original Abyss.
Thanks for your indulgence everyone.

I know my thoughts often hold little weight here but once I get my Phi upgrade soonish I could try and give you some thoughts.

Nov 19, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #6,137 of 22,468
I haven't read anyone specifically say they prefer the original on this forum.
"Worth it" is subjective.

Both good points.

Nov 19, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #6,138 of 22,468
The music samples definitely have some sibilance but not the worst I've heard, them being high res helps this much. You'll need to tweak your system a bit for the resolution of the Phi.

Suggest starting with the digital interface. Try changing to USB or RCA SPDIF, either of these would probably be better than AES/EBU in that system. Also avoid silver conductors or plating in the cabling. If you have different cables laying around try experimenting.

Amp: Headamp GS-X mk2, Dac: Emmlabs Dac2x V2, Transport: Rockna Wavedream Net
XLR: Taralabs 30 Limited Edition, AES: JMF audio DP5
Power Cords: Vertere HB, Sunyata research Sigma HC, Absolue Creations Tim Reference la source
Power conditioner: PS audio P3

Let me send a sample of the recording to you by email?

ABYSS Headphones We engineer, machine, and build our headphones from scratch in New York, USA. Stay updated on ABYSS Headphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AbyssHeadphones https://twitter.com/AbyssHeadphones https://www.instagram.com/abyssheadphones/ https://abyss-headphones.com/ info@Abyss-Headphones.com
Nov 20, 2017 at 8:38 AM Post #6,139 of 22,468
Hi everyone, it's my first post but I am following this forum by time

I begin with compliments to FLTWS for very nice Abyss phi review, you did a long and very great job!

For Fredfung28

yes, I have your own experience with the sibilant (in poor recordings and not only) but I think as MacedonianHero said is a TRANSPARENCY question.

You can be sure it's not the cable, because I have the Jps stock and Prion4 cable and there is not difference.

I also have a very different ring than yours Fred, but the sibilant question remains the same, therefore is not GS-X problem.

For me Abyss Phi is an “ultra transparency” headphone and give exceptional things but also some disadvantage

(and I talk after 70hour of burn in, maybe with more hours Abyss will improve)

Some examples

Patricia Barber ‎– Modern Cool – track 1) Touch Of Trash (SACD)

Lyn Stanley – Potions – (track 1) - Lullaby Of Birdland (SACD)

For me the sibilant in these two songs are pretty annoying on the Abyss,

less with Audeze LCD3, more veiled, but it's veiled all over!

For me is a recordings “fault” highlighted by Abyss,

but please, all you try these two tracks and let me know what do you hear! :)

Nov 20, 2017 at 9:03 AM Post #6,140 of 22,468
Hi everyone, it's my first post but I am following this forum by time

I begin with compliments to FLTWS for very nice Abyss phi review, you did a long and very great job!

For Fredfung28

yes, I have your own experience with the sibilant (in poor recordings and not only) but I think as MacedonianHero said is a TRANSPARENCY question.

You can be sure it's not the cable, because I have the Jps stock and Prion4 cable and there is not difference.

I also have a very different ring than yours Fred, but the sibilant question remains the same, therefore is not GS-X problem.

For me Abyss Phi is an “ultra transparency” headphone and give exceptional things but also some disadvantage

(and I talk after 70hour of burn in, maybe with more hours Abyss will improve)

Some examples

Patricia Barber ‎– Modern Cool – track 1) Touch Of Trash (SACD)

Lyn Stanley – Potions – (track 1) - Lullaby Of Birdland (SACD)

For me the sibilant in these two songs are pretty annoying on the Abyss,

less with Audeze LCD3, more veiled, but it's veiled all over!

For me is a recordings “fault” highlighted by Abyss,

but please, all you try these two tracks and let me know what do you hear! :)

Thank you very much for being so detail and helpful with my problems... I am really annoyed by this issue. I will go back and check with this recording too! If that’s not the amp problem, then that will be really great...
I am thinking to change the amp if the problem occurs even I change the cable.
Thank you very much!

Nov 20, 2017 at 12:22 PM Post #6,141 of 22,468
Nov 22, 2017 at 7:33 PM Post #6,142 of 22,468
Phi is here. Now to wait until Saturday so I can actually open and listen. Good thing I have family and Thanksgiving to pass the time away from home when I know my new toy arrived. Hoping to hear an improvement from the original!

Nov 22, 2017 at 7:48 PM Post #6,143 of 22,468
Phi is here. Now to wait until Saturday so I can actually open and listen. Good thing I have family and Thanksgiving to pass the time away from home when I know my new toy arrived. Hoping to hear an improvement from the original!

That seems like quick turnaround time.

Nov 22, 2017 at 8:08 PM Post #6,144 of 22,468
Nov 23, 2017 at 1:39 AM Post #6,145 of 22,468
The adtaptors didn’t work... maybe the pin is not correct
Could anyone tell me about the pin 1 2 3 of abyss which is hot cold and ground?
Thank you..!

Nov 24, 2017 at 4:16 AM Post #6,146 of 22,468

Don't forget to burn them in.
Maybe use them to listen to TV or youtube to get a few dozen hours on them before critical listening.

Nov 24, 2017 at 10:48 PM Post #6,147 of 22,468
Abyss for watching TV... Necessary :p I want a review of that - Watching a cooking show and listening to someone whisk egg whites in a metal bowl has never before sounded so much like someone whisking egg whites in a metal bowl.

Nov 25, 2017 at 7:27 AM Post #6,148 of 22,468
LOL!

Nov 25, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #6,149 of 22,468
Just for following up my problem..
I have solved the problem by burning it in for longer time and also adding spike on my power conditioner and making some changes on my dac's spike...
I have to say 1266 phi is so crazy in everything.... classical is the first thing I am very impressed. After burning it in and now is quite stable, the vocal is even better and very very nice to enjoy listening it
the 3d imaging is better than utopia a lot and also.. the texture of the vocal is the best I have heard so far!

Not to mention.. my abyss 1266 phi is using Lite version cable.. and my utopia is using prion 4s and dana cable..

Nov 25, 2017 at 1:18 PM Post #6,150 of 22,468
Not much longer and I can start burning and listening to the Phi. Pretty excited.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back