The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jun 30, 2013 at 5:32 AM Post #241 of 22,596
Agree, although I'm blown by the sound it produced, the price is way too steep for me.

I have paid more than 5k$ for my DAC, and I do think that it worth every cents I paid, but I don't feel a similar value from the abyss

It's undoubtedly a very good headphone, but the wow-factor I've heard is not complimenting the price.

Jun 30, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #244 of 22,596
To be honest with you, from a consumer perspective, you would've had more success with these if they were priced less than the asking price. Not every so called audiophile here have trees that grow money, even for those that do, they are quite conservative to how they spend it, and then there is the small group of people that don't care because they simply have too much money/ use the headphones once and never touch it again.

Yes there are perspectives from your business side where new technology, R&D, equipment, effort, time, cost, labor not being cheap to develop these, but maybe if there were an option giving the consumer a mind of peace to use there own supplied cables without spending $5.5k for the complete package, maybe even an entry/basic product along with the flagship to give people a taste of what your companies headphones are capable of would of been beneficial as well.

You can still achieve all this without sacrifacing too much, heck a good example is Hifiman. If you eat in small bites, you can enjoy the food even more, if you take one massive bite and swallow it down, you're not enjoying the food and getting no benefit out it. 

My 2c.

I have been thinking the same thing as well. If there was another model that shared the same driver technology, same SQ, etc...but a less “exclusive" package without all the cables, bags, and such. And also a more hmmmm..how do I say this..more "down to earth" design. Something simple - maybe less trips through the anodizing bath. Hee hee. Sorry. Just not a big fan of the "death metal" design.

I know it would cut into the sales of the top model, having a lower prices variant that sounds the same, but if the SQ is really that good, and were priced right they would fly out the factory. You couldn't build enough.

I am also curious how these perform using DAC's and amps that are a bit "lower down the food chain" than the summit grade equipment that has been mentioned. Say, a 1K DAC, and 1K amp. Not everyone can spend 5-10 grand on a DAC/AMP.

Just my 2¢

Jun 30, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #246 of 22,596
I think the problem here is the air of exclusivity surrounding an upstart effort from a cable company.

This kind of elitism can be tolerated with the SR-009 as there is an entire legacy of excellent Stax headphones to build upon.

But the Abyss has no such legacy aside from possibly its cables, which represent what, 25% of the price?

What legacy is the rest of this product built upon.

confused_face_2.gif

Jun 30, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #247 of 22,596
Another question for Joe: will you be offering other adapters, for example for a 4-pin xlr. I am interested and I might buy.

Thanks

They come with both 1/4" and 4 pin XLR Y-adaptor cables. Just updated the website to reflect this. Thanks...

ABYSS Headphones We engineer, machine, and build our headphones from scratch in New York, USA. Stay updated on ABYSS Headphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AbyssHeadphones https://twitter.com/AbyssHeadphones https://www.instagram.com/abyssheadphones/ https://abyss-headphones.com/ info@Abyss-Headphones.com
Jun 30, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #250 of 22,596
Quote:
The BHSE has been regarded as an amp "wire with a gain". KG himself designed them to be as neutral as possible with plenty of power to boot so the transducers being driven does not lack finesse in areas of sound. Given the hybrid design of the BHSE, the amp is insensitive to tube rolling as compared to say the Woo Audio amp's. Of course at the end of the day everybody's ears are different, any bias, placebo can be influential to what some user's swear by the subtle differences in it.

Since ther is no such thing as an amp that's ''a wire with gain'', i'm going to side with Joe on this one, and assume that even the BHSE as it's own sound signature.

That being said, i believe that headphones, or speakers, have a lot more infuence on a sound system, than an amps has. i'm pretty sure that in a blind test, people would have a lot less difficulty noticing the change if we were swaping say, a pair of HD-800 for some RS1i, that they would if we were swapping amp A for amp B.

And finnaly, let's not forget that Feruccio lamborghini went straight from making farm equipement, to high end sports cars. And for those who are not into cars, Joseph Grado went from making turntable cartridges, to high end headphones. So as far as i'm concerned, i don't care if JPS was making lawn mowers before, as long as they're headphones sound amazing, that's what counts.

Jun 30, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #251 of 22,596
Quote:
And finnaly, let's not forget that Feruccio lamborghini went straight from making farm equipement, to high end sports cars. And for those who are not into cars, Joseph Grado went from making turntable cartridges, to high end headphones. So as far as i'm concerned, i don't care if JPS was making lawn mowers before, as long as they're headphones sound amazing, that's what counts.

There's quite a few of that in audio. Daniel and Rondi D'Agostino of Krell and Jason Bloom and Leo Spiegel of Apogee Acoustics. They didn't have any history making amps (Krell) nor speakers (Apogee). Yet they became successful.

Jul 2, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #252 of 22,596
I had the rare opportunity of trying out the Abyss AB1266 and I must say it was an absolute privilege. Not being experienced with such high-end phones I won't talk too much on the sound, but scolaiw's impression/review sums it up perfect I believe. Was paired with a Rega DAC and Cavalli Liquid Glass (not a set up for the faint hearted). What got me the most was the instrument separation and soundstage. It was just pure audio bliss, closest thing I'll probably ever hear to being in the actual studio with the artist. The build quality and comfort were also top notch.

I enjoyed the sound of the Abyss AB1266 more than that of the LCD-3 and the Ultrasone Edition 10, although I marginally preferred the more powerful and deeper bass aspect of the LCD-3. Whether or not it's worth the extra 3K is for you to decide, but there is definitely a noticeable SQ difference here. If money is no issue, then Abyss every day of the week! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back