The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Apr 11, 2015 at 3:24 AM Post #2,357 of 22,434
we don't want amps that clip and distort if that's what you mean. doubt that would be an issue for the conductor driving the abyss.

Apr 11, 2015 at 6:10 AM Post #2,362 of 22,434
Thanks Joe for clarifying. I think that has answered any open questions for me.

I agree there are better amps on the market now and with some of them the SQ improvement is significant. An experienced reviewer should/would know how to quantify this. That said imo the Soloist (Conductor amp part) is a very decent, albeit not quite top of the crop amplifier. If, after buying the Abyss, I needed one amp urgently and that was all my money, it would get considered. The DAC in the Conductor is not very good though.

Apr 11, 2015 at 8:01 AM Post #2,363 of 22,434
The conductor is not a balanced amp and only puts 2W in 16Ohm! I never came to the idea buying a power hungry headphone like HE6 or Abyss and connected it with 6,35mm plug.
Amps like 430HA and Liquid Gold are Fully Balanced amps with a lot more power and class above the Conductor.
Hope that Tyll use the 430HA for his next review and when he hear the same setup as mine currently then Halleluya! I think only the coming HE1000 maybe can beat the Abyss.

Apr 11, 2015 at 9:00 AM Post #2,364 of 22,434
The conductor is not a balanced amp and only puts 2W in 16Ohm! I never came to the idea buying a power hungry headphone like HE6 or Abyss and connected it with 6,35mm plug.
Amps like 430HA and Liquid Gold are Fully Balanced amps with a lot more power and class above the Conductor.
Hope that Tyll use the 430HA for his next review and when he hear the same setup as mine currently then Halleluya! I think only the coming HE1000 maybe can beat the Abyss.

I don't disagree with you, but the actual spec is 4w in 16ohm. To me it's more concerning that it is class AB with a tiny PSU and 96dB SNR. But I prefer class A amps. That said, I would not recommend buying the Abyss with a Soloist for an end-game amp, clearly. :) But also it does not cost what the overpriced 430HA does.

The Moon was not worth the money to me for the SQ it offers, so I have just returned it for refund. In solid states I preferred the Audio GD HE-9 by a significant margin, however it was plagued by QC issues. I also preferred a class A speaker amp to it. This was with the HE-6, LCD-3Fs, HD800s, not the Abyss though.

http://www.bursonaudio.com/products/soloist/

Apr 11, 2015 at 9:31 AM Post #2,365 of 22,434
yep - 2 watts per channel. ample power to drive the abyss and pretty much any other ortho maybe with the exception of the he-6

Users who are viewing this thread

Back