The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Apr 7, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #2,282 of 22,434
  Can you do a comparison of Abyss with HD800?
Thanks.

yes sure in short way hd800 bigger sound stage with light controlled bass ,detail,analytical sound,clear and resolving.
while abyss has big 3d sound stage ,same detail ,bass quantity and quality best than any headphones in this regard ( but for me lcd3 f still better ), dynamic range is really amazing, nimble fast instruments sound,  abyss win for enjoyment music and for life , if you can get them for 3000 $ or less, your road to hi fi headphones comes to an end .
comfortable factor goes to hd 800 since it's lighter and use alcantara pads .

Apr 7, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #2,283 of 22,434

yes Thanks for clarifying ,but the problem still even in my new Abyss, so the statement are still a live until they do something about it . I sold my units to my neighbor .She will pay me every months since it's very expensive . I hope she can enjoy them. END

As Tyll just said, the issue was only present in the early pair that he reviewed.  

I guess the fact that your neighbor bought your Abyss off you means that she preferred it over your lcd3f too?  So you can see that some people prefer different things to you.

lol I thought you were trolling this thread until I looked at your posts over on the HD800 thread.  haha I think you hate that thing more than I do :p

Apr 7, 2015 at 7:29 PM Post #2,284 of 22,434
candid views and robust debate isn't trolling. it's a shame folks have to resort to using the term when they don't like or agree with what someone else is saying.

Apr 7, 2015 at 8:23 PM Post #2,285 of 22,434
Once again, I respectfully disagree :p  He's purposely going around to every thread of headphones he doesn't love an bagging the crap out of them.  Saying sorry you are wrong you bought the wrong headphones, X headphone is the better than yours etc etc. He is absolutely entitled to his opinion and I agree with some things he says, but there's definitely some degree of trolling intended.  

Apr 7, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #2,287 of 22,434
There is always the block member button - which reduces your stress level significantly. I also used it already a couple of times and some folks are just not worth a reply even less a reasoned discussion. Just click the button and be happy
wink.gif

Apr 8, 2015 at 6:31 AM Post #2,289 of 22,434
Just reading this quite complimentary Abyss review:
http://www.kitguru.net/site-news/highlights/zardon/abyss-1266-headphone-review/all/1/

The reviewer has compared Abyss vs HD800, HE6, LCD3, Stax-009, R10, Grado. But in the comp, he has used Cavalli LAu amp with Abyss, LCD3 and HE6, but HDVD800 amp with HD800. I suspect most people would judge Cavalli LAu to be ahead of HDVD800 when paired with HD800. Nevertheless in this test HD800 still seems to edge soundstage width/depth, but Abyss is judged way out in front on bass weight and dynamics.  I wonder if the conclusions might have been different if HD800 had also been powered by Cavalli LAu?

Apr 8, 2015 at 6:42 AM Post #2,290 of 22,434
Hard to know, Sennheiser specifically designed that amp as the perfect match for that headphone, so you can't exactly call it a bad pairing.  I remember in Jude's review video of the Lau that he mentioned that maybe it's not the best choice of amp for the HD800?

Will have to give it a read

Apr 8, 2015 at 6:54 AM Post #2,291 of 22,434
Hard to know, Sennheiser specifically designed that amp as the perfect match for that headphone, so you can't exactly call it a bad pairing.  I remember in Jude's review video of the Lau that he mentioned that maybe it's not the best choice of amp for the HD800?

Will have to give it a read

All these totl headphones are just different flavours of each other. I really enjoy the hd800 but currently loving some Patricia Barber on the PS1000.

Apr 8, 2015 at 7:34 AM Post #2,292 of 22,434
All these totl headphones are just different flavours of each other. I really enjoy the hd800 but currently loving some Patricia Barber on the PS1000.

A very true statement, different flavours and even different purposes depending on fit and listening environments.
The hd800 and PS1000 really do complement each other well. Had the very same before getting the abyss. But the abyss sound was exactly what I was after from my music so the other two didn't get much use afterwards. On thing that I did especially like about the PS1000 was rock and drums, I remember the first time I listened to pearljam's binaural album with them. Truely magical.
They were my first proper venture into head fi so I couldn't get rid of them, ended up giving them to my father for his birthday. So I can always drop by for a listen if I'm feeling nostalgic :p

Apr 8, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #2,294 of 22,434
did you compare them?

....No, I didn't compare them despite owning and having had them in my possession both before and a after purchasing the abyss.....

Sorry I couldn't help a little sarcasm there, all in good fun :D
Wouldn't have bought the abyss without comparing it to what I originally had. Spending that cash without being informed would be fairly silly, especially since I had the chance to audition and compare side by side :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back