The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Apr 19, 2022 at 3:07 AM Post #20,012 of 22,465
I am still interested in the SC cable and may buy it next month. Does the SC come in a loveless cardboard box or do you get a wooden box or some other premium presentation?

mine came in a nice wooden box. flatter than the one my abyss came in. and not two tone ie not the greenish cover.

Apr 19, 2022 at 9:01 AM Post #20,014 of 22,465
Are you still rocking this configuration? I’m also 3 and 9 and will mess with toe in tomorrow
Sort of. I don't toe out anymore as the sound is too behind me. I'm still at roughly 3 and 9 and alternate between no toe-in or out and a bit of toe-in. I still find that toe-in gives the most realistic stage but the pressure on my temples is uncomfortable so I do it temporarily. Still playing around with the fit though after owning the 1266 for a year or so.

Apr 19, 2022 at 11:56 AM Post #20,015 of 22,465
Been messing around with the TC last 2 days. I think I found the right fit. If the frame is too wide bass tends to distort etc. I landed on the pads softly touching the side of head with slight toe-in. My pads are at 3 and 9. The recessed mids are apparent. They do sound fuller and more fullbodied than the Susvara's but I like how the Susvara's convey detail. I feel the TCs are more in your face. Susvara's at louder volumes hit hard and sound great still with Rock etc.

I just started the journey with both these cans so I will need time to figure out the best use cases for both.

Funny i noticed the form factor of the HW hardware is a metaphor on how each can sounds. Susvara frame/body is much more delicate while the TC is robust/industrial. Portrayal of music seems to follow these conventions as well.

I wish the Susvara and the TC had an illegitimate child. That is my dream of an ultimate headphone.

Edit: Also, nothing compares to a dedicated sub :) ...

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2022 at 12:29 PM Post #20,017 of 22,465
Yea, nice floor standing speaker and dedicated sub are amazing. But I have also added a sub when listening to headphones during the day when everyone is out. Best of both worlds.

Apr 19, 2022 at 1:43 PM Post #20,018 of 22,465
I'm running the TCs off the Rear XLR on the TT2 as most people mentioned this is the way to go for added power etc. I really like transparency and increased clarity. After 2 days of listening only to the rear XLRs I tried the front SE for crap and giggles. I was surprised to find out that I enjoyed the sound much more.

Things became a lot clearer, image clarity, less congestion, bass was less distorted, even the midrange seemed a bit more sweet and forward than before. I feel these cans are very technical and I can see them scale with better sources.

Edit: I found the Susvara's sounded limp off the front SE of the TT2 but much better off the Rear XLR. For context I preferred the added transparency I got running the Susvara off the rear XLRs vs the ABH2 which I ended up returning.

Edit 2: The difference was so stark using the SE outputs that I was trying to added warmer filters with the rear XLRs but with the SEs it was not needed. So picked filter for increased clarity etc.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #20,019 of 22,465
Been messing around with the TC last 2 days. I think I found the right fit. If the frame is too wide bass tends to distort etc. I landed on the pads softly touching the side of head with slight toe-in. My pads are at 3 and 9. The recessed mids are apparent. They do sound fuller and more fullbodied than the Susvara's but I like how the Susvara's convey detail. I feel the TCs are more in your face. Susvara's at louder volumes hit hard and sound great still with Rock etc.

I just started the journey with both these cans so I will need time to figure out the best use cases for both.

Funny i noticed the form factor of the HW hardware is a metaphor on how each can sounds. Susvara frame/body is much more delicate while the TC is robust/industrial. Portrayal of music seems to follow these conventions as well.

I wish the Susvara and the TC had an illegitimate child. That is my dream of an ultimate headphone.

Edit: Also, nothing compares to a dedicated sub :) ...
Introduce a tube stage and you will flesh out the mids.

I am curious 6 months down the road where you have landed with the fit.

I don't believe I have changed my fitment in quite some months after trialing every metered inch but the voice in my head tells me, but wait there's more.

Perhaps that's the affliction of the pursuit of perfected delusion. :laughing:

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2022 at 2:35 PM Post #20,020 of 22,465

I don't believe I have changed my fitment in quite some months after trialing every metered inch but the voice in my head tells me, but wait there's more.

Will let you know. I was still messing with slight toe-in and toe-out. Toe-out increases soundstage. Too much and its loses its visceral impact.

Apr 19, 2022 at 2:59 PM Post #20,021 of 22,465

In my (short) experience with the 1266 the SC gave mids some love. The further introduction of the MAY DAC in my chain gave them even more fleshing (I had the Venus2 before). Now, with MAY+CFA3+SC+1266, I am satisfied with the mids, undoubtedly comparable to the ZMF with tubes.

Yes, I'm happy ... till next step :p

Apr 19, 2022 at 3:07 PM Post #20,022 of 22,465
Will let you know. I was still messing with slight toe-in and toe-out. Toe-out increases soundstage. Too much and its loses its visceral impact.
Definitely a fine line. I toe-out with the pads ported towards the front. This essential for a better comfort.
In my (short) experience with the 1266 the SC gave mids some love. The further introduction of the MAY DAC in my chain gave them even more fleshing (I had the Venus2 before). Now, with MAY+CFA3+SC+1266, I am satisfied with the mids, undoubtedly comparable to the ZMF with tubes.

Yes, I'm happy ... till next step :p
I hear you. I only use Norne cables so I run the S4 but you can't sucker me away from 300B life with solid state tendencies.

I'm still happy the CFA3 is providing you love. :kissing_heart:

Apr 19, 2022 at 3:27 PM Post #20,023 of 22,465
I'm running the TCs off the Rear XLR on the TT2 as most people mentioned this is the way to go for added power etc. I really like transparency and increased clarity. After 2 days of listening only to the rear XLRs I tried the front SE for crap and giggles. I was surprised to find out that I enjoyed the sound much more.

Things became a lot clearer, image clarity, less congestion, bass was less distorted, even the midrange seemed a bit more sweet and forward than before. I feel these cans are very technical and I can see them scale with better sources.

Edit: I found the Susvara's sounded limp off the front SE of the TT2 but much better off the Rear XLR. For context I preferred the added transparency I got running the Susvara off the rear XLRs vs the ABH2 which I ended up returning.

Edit 2: The difference was so stark using the SE outputs that I was trying to added warmer filters with the rear XLRs but with the SEs it was not needed. So picked filter for increased clarity etc.
I didn't notice much of a sonic difference from the front or the rear outs with the Abyss, just increased headroom. I wonder if you're using a different cable with each and that might be contributing to the different sound signatures?

Apr 19, 2022 at 5:49 PM Post #20,024 of 22,465
Apr 19, 2022 at 6:27 PM Post #20,025 of 22,465
I didn't notice much of a sonic difference from the front or the rear outs with the Abyss, just increased headroom. I wonder if you're using a different cable with each and that might be contributing to the different sound signatures?
I'm using the same stock Susvara cable on both rear XLR and SE outputs. I definitely hear more transparency with the SE outputs. More clarity and less congestion in complex passages. Went from "meh" to a big smile on my face. Also I'm liking the Susvara stock silver/copper cable vs the stock Abyss cable. Abyss cable seems fuller but treble is more etched. Stock Susvara cable seems slightly leaner and more detailed. The cable difference might be in my head but I definitely feel strong about the front SE vs rear XLR differences in transparency.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back