The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Dec 19, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #1,801 of 22,596
I would consider the Hugo, but unfortunately I'm bit of a design nut... and the Hugo disqualifies unfortunately in more than one regard. I just don't get the light color thing (i.e. I don't *want* something like that near me), I don't like the volume pot (for lack of a better word), I don't like the cheap look of the exterior (I know its robust and everything, it just doesn't look good to me and the jacks are almost unusable with better connectors because they are recessed).

I do like its FPGA implementation of a DAC and would be interested in that. But not in this package... Sorry for the rant -- its a sign of frustration with the aspects mentioned :wink:

interesting. Cant say i find any of this hardware wonderful to look at (the m8 is one ugly looking thing, and much prefer the new black hugo although the m8 pairs well with the lcd). I tend to put on headphones when i am alone, close my eyes and just get lost in the music. Best way to relax after running a business .... Never sit watching any of it. Which is why i always find comments on the abyss being 'ugly' so amusing. Must be a lot of people sitting in chairs with a mirror in front of them. I fail to be able to focus on anything with the abyss in full flow, its all about the music..

Dec 19, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #1,802 of 22,596
interesting. Cant say i find any of this hardware wonderful to look at (the m8 is one ugly looking thing, and much prefer the new black hugo although the m8 pairs well with the lcd). I tend to put on headphones when i am alone, close my eyes and just get lost in the music. Best way to relax after running a business .... Never sit watching any of it. Which is why i always find comments on the abyss being 'ugly' so amusing. Must be a lot of people sitting in chairs with a mirror in front of them. I fail to be able to focus on anything with the abyss in full flow, its all about the music..

While I fully understand your point of view, to me those things have to fulfill a basic requirement besides good sound quality: I have to like them. Something that makes me guess why its glowing dark blue instead of light green a moment ago would likely fail this test :wink:

While some other persons first reaction also contained the word 'ugly' I don't perceive the Abyss as such (and thats not only because I paid for it). Its look is distinctive, no question about that. Its unconventional construction lets me wear a rather heavy headphone with high comfort, something neither Audeze nor Hifiman did for me (besides that I did not like their respective sound signatures, but thats not my point here).

Overall the Abyss has character... something I tend to honor. Thats both its design and its sound btw. Its shape is easy to spot in ads/photos etc., that alone may be an advantage. Its an interesting aspect that this massive looking thing can produce sounds so delicate... and here our views meet again: yesterday I listened about 3h longer than anticipated. Because it was fun and engaging.

One last comment regarding 'ugly': its definitely not ugly in the sense of tasteless. Its design has taste. But it will not match everybodies expectations. Thats what I meant above with it having character in its design.

Dec 19, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #1,803 of 22,596
I agree its actually one of the most comfortable headphones i have worn. Heavy but it completely vanishes on the head. Wore them many times for 6 hours straight without an issue. The sennheiser hd800 are very comfortable too but they get a lot hotter around the pads after a few hours.

Biggest downside is i dont let anyone wear my abyss as i spent ages forming them into the perfect shape for my head. The initial setup is important, more than any other headphone i have owned. Without the right placement the overall sound signature will 'shift' a little. I still think this is why tyll's report is slightly off.

Also the multiple cables with the headphone are remarkable, and easily worth £1000. I spent £300 on replacements for my hd800 as the stock cables are just beyond dire. People complaining about the cost need to factor this in.

I havent listened to my he90 or sony r10 in weeks now. Has never happened before. In the land of loudspeakers these are a bargain, ive spent more than i would care to admit on speakers over the years. Guess i should stop posting as i sound like a sales rep for the company.

Dec 19, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #1,804 of 22,596
I havent listened to my he90 or sony r10 in weeks now. Has never happened before. In the land of loudspeakers these are a bargain, ive spent more than i would care to admit on speakers over the years. Guess i should stop posting as i sound like a sales rep for the company.

I enjoy your enthusiasm and appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts. But I think what many here (myself included) would love to see is a comparison between the Abyss and the other TOTL headphones you own.

Dec 19, 2014 at 7:14 PM Post #1,805 of 22,596
Right, I am getting lots of "encouragement" to get the Abyss, I have not heard them for long enough or in my system to really form an impression.

When I auditioned them at a dealer, I found that I had a preference for my LCD-3F's in the mid range, having said that I have a friend bringing his over in two weeks so will be able to get them know them better.

Question is has anyone else either got the LCD-3F's & the Abyss and is able to give some feedback particularly re the mid range?

Also I found it strange to have the ear pads away form my head. I guess this feeling goes away with familiarity.

Dec 19, 2014 at 7:42 PM Post #1,806 of 22,596
  And after finding out that the the CEntrance M8 has its low output impedance setting is on the right most position when viewed from behind (not left most as I thought) it delivers more than enough output for taking the Abyss with me on holidays.

I know it's hard to quantify, but how much difference is there between the v281 and your portable rig?  I don't think volume would be a problem for me given that I don't listen at very loud levels, but what about quality wise?

Also I found it strange to have the ear pads away form my head. I guess this feeling goes away with familiarity.

When you demo them, you're a bit limited to how much you can adjust them because the dealer won't want every person who tries them to go bending the headband, but once you get your own, you can get a much more personalised adjustment.  On mine I've gotten the earpads to lightly touch pretty much all the way around.  If you shake your head side to side they still slide around a bit, but you actually can get a pretty decent fit with a little bit of effort to set up

Dec 20, 2014 at 4:40 AM Post #1,807 of 22,596

I know it's hard to quantify, but how much difference is there between the v281 and your portable rig?  I don't think volume would be a problem for me given that I don't listen at very loud levels, but what about quality wise?

Yes, such comparisons are quite hard... especially since switching takes a bit too long (i.e. change sound output on my mac and move the cable).
Comparing the V281 to the CEntrance M8 I think the V281 shows that it simply has more power down low, bass seems to not be limited. That might indeed be a case of just enough headroom vs. headroom in spades. The M8 does not distort or anything and it may well be a tonal difference in the DAC section as well...

What seems more consistent to hear is that the imaging is more stable and more "out of head" with the V281 (listening to Cowboy Junkies "Misguided Angel", very nice and atmospheric recording but something I'd normally not listen to when using headphones). Both show the low frequency distortions this recording obviously has, both let one hear the old church where this was recorded. But instruments seem more to be attached to the drivers when using the M8 while they assume a position in the room with the V281.

Long story short: I think the CEntrance does drive the Abyss quite well and does not mess up. When a home amp/DAC is far away the differences will fade away I guess, leaving just the music. I don't listen a high volume either and did not go about 3 o'clock on high gain. Battery life may take a hit though. I used the M8's XL4 output to facilitate switching.

Today I opened my DAC2 and moved the headphone amp attenuation jumpers to their 0dB position. Very nice... this thing does have power. And the tonal balance matches very well with the Abyss.

Dec 20, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #1,808 of 22,596

I enjoy your enthusiasm and appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts. But I think what many here (myself included) would love to see is a comparison between the Abyss and the other TOTL headphones you own.

Will try and make some time if you feel you would like to read it. My gear is split between 2 or 3 rooms and I think its hard to 'compare' headphones when the amplifiers are all different.

Dec 20, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #1,809 of 22,596
  Will try and make some time if you feel you would like to read it. My gear is split between 2 or 3 rooms and I think its hard to 'compare' headphones when the amplifiers are all different.

Thank you!!! Although I'm one of the few people like you who would simply get them all eventually, it's still nice to know more about how they differ, especially for the rare out of production models. Even impressions based on memory are better than nothing. If possible, I'd also like to see more specific thoughts about how the other 15 or so amps you used with the Abyss compare to your favorite one.

Dec 20, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #1,810 of 22,596

Thank you!!! Although I'm one of the few people like you who would simply get them all eventually, it's still nice to know more about how they differ, especially for the rare out of production models. Even impressions based on memory are better than nothing. If possible, I'd also like to see more specific thoughts about how the other 15 or so amps you used with the Abyss compare to your favorite one.

Ok. My main job is reviewing computer hardware/technology (graphics cards, power supplies etc), I have done a few headphone reviews in the past. Time is always the killer for me really.

What headphones do you use primarily now?

Dec 20, 2014 at 2:55 PM Post #1,811 of 22,596
  Ok. My main job is reviewing computer hardware/technology (graphics cards, power supplies etc), I own www.Kitguru.net and manage a pretty big team - its a big tech site based in the UK, but I have done a few headphone reviews in the past. Time is always the killer for me really.

What headphones do you use primarily now?

I read all the headphone reviews I can find (at least for the ones I'm interested in), but you don't need to worry about making it fancy. Basically, I just wanted a better idea of the areas in which the headphones and amps differ sound-wise; their strengths and weaknesses and so on. If you don't listen to and thus lack insights for certain genres, that's fine, but I would particularly be interested in how they all perform with metal, electronic, and orchestral genres.

Although I have mid-range headphones, they're nowhere near good enough to be mentioned in this thread. But in the next few weeks, I'm selling some of my stuff and getting the Focal Spirit Professional, Schiit Magni 2 Uber, and Schiit Modi 2 Uber. Not really relevant anyway.

Dec 22, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #1,812 of 22,596

I read all the headphone reviews I can find (at least for the ones I'm interested in), but you don't need to worry about making it fancy. Basically, I just wanted a better idea of the areas in which the headphones and amps differ sound-wise; their strengths and weaknesses and so on. If you don't listen to and thus lack insights for certain genres, that's fine, but I would particularly be interested in how they all perform with metal, electronic, and orchestral genres.

Although I have mid-range headphones, they're nowhere near good enough to be mentioned in this thread. But in the next few weeks, I'm selling some of my stuff and getting the Focal Spirit Professional, Schiit Magni 2 Uber, and Schiit Modi 2 Uber. Not really relevant anyway.

Out some of my thoughts together here: http://www.kitguru.net/site-news/highlights/zardon/abyss-1266-headphone-review/

Hope you find it useful in a buying decision.

Dec 22, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #1,813 of 22,596
What a great write up Zardon. Thank you for sharing.

Dec 22, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #1,814 of 22,596
  Out some of my thoughts together here: http://www.kitguru.net/site-news/highlights/zardon/abyss-1266-headphone-review/

Hope you find it useful in a buying decision.

Cool review...but no comparisons with the Sennheiser Orpheus HE 90 and the 15+ other amps!
frown.gif

Dec 22, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #1,815 of 22,596

Users who are viewing this thread

Back