The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Sep 15, 2021 at 11:26 PM Post #17,611 of 22,468
Speaking of subs for low end, I'm currently enjoying the Woojer Edge vest, basically haptic feedback you wear. It's far from hifi in its current iteration, however, it does have some range in bass, so you do feel sweeps and drops pretty intensely. The thumps are also timed fairly well, so you feel more of the kick drum. I know there's a more pro-audio focused type of this called the Subpack X1, but it's currently on preorder only. I am looking forward to trying that!

It works great on most pop, hiphop, or electronic type music - even some jazz I've tried where the upright bass groove really moves you. When I play either of Billie Eilish's albums, it almost feels like they have an additional track you have never heard before specifically for this type of haptic feedback. It works amazingly well and it's extremely addictive. The Pino Palladino and Blake Mills collaboration, Notes with Attachments, was made for something like this.

I think we'll be able to pair our headphones with real hifi bass/lfe we can feel without disturbing others in the next year. Again, I don't consider the Woojer hifi mainly because it's not very linear and is made more for fun, but maybe the Subpack will impress me in that aspect.

I'm listening from my TT2, feeding both the Woojer Vest and the Abyss right now. I look absolutely ridiculous, but this Blade Runner soundtrack has never sounded (felt really) this good before.

20210915_230653.jpg
Wow this is something else! Better than a sub I guess?

Sep 15, 2021 at 11:29 PM Post #17,612 of 22,468
Wow this is something else! Better than a sub I guess?
It's like hugging a sub and feeling the vibrations. The tighter you wear the vest (it's pretty comfortable for me) the deeper you feel it. I think some larger people might have trouble feeling it as deep in their core as others, but that's just a guess. It's still missing that transient attack type impact to it, but it's just so much fun already that I can't image how much this type of product can improve. It's exciting to see what's coming - I will be trying it with my VR first person shooter soon!

Sep 15, 2021 at 11:32 PM Post #17,614 of 22,468
You know what they look like :)?
You guys should really get a 2-Channel Speaker Setup.
My fun two channel Klipsch Cornwall and SVS system that pressurizes my basement and almost moves my hair when I play Zeppelin is downstairs, but I can't play it while others are trying to sleep or work unfortunately. It barely gets much playtime.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2021 at 11:35 PM Post #17,615 of 22,468
Is this a diss on appearance of a device…In an abyss tc thread? Lol. Don’t knock it til u try it I guess

Sep 15, 2021 at 11:46 PM Post #17,616 of 22,468
Speaking of subs for low end, I'm currently enjoying the Woojer Edge vest, basically haptic feedback you wear. It's far from hifi in its current iteration, however, it does have some range in bass, so you do feel sweeps and drops pretty intensely. The thumps are also timed fairly well, so you feel more of the kick drum. I know there's a more pro-audio focused type of this called the Subpack X1, but it's currently on preorder only. I am looking forward to trying that!

It works great on most pop, hiphop, or electronic type music - even some jazz I've tried where the upright bass groove really moves you. When I play either of Billie Eilish's albums, it almost feels like they have an additional track you have never heard before specifically for this type of haptic feedback. It works amazingly well and it's extremely addictive. The Pino Palladino and Blake Mills collaboration, Notes with Attachments, was made for something like this.

I think we'll be able to pair our headphones with real hifi bass/lfe we can feel without disturbing others in the next year. Again, I don't consider the Woojer hifi mainly because it's not very linear and is made more for fun, but maybe the Subpack will impress me in that aspect.

I'm listening from my TT2, feeding both the Woojer Vest and the Abyss right now. I look absolutely ridiculous, but this Blade Runner soundtrack has never sounded (felt really) this good before.

20210915_230653.jpg
I guess you use the TT2's speaker output for the TC and the single ended port for connecting the vest?

By the way, I am using a similar setup with the original (more transductors) non-edge vest with an ifi iCan Pro. Music never felt so good :).

Sep 15, 2021 at 11:50 PM Post #17,618 of 22,468

Sep 16, 2021 at 2:17 AM Post #17,620 of 22,468

I really think that this review pooped all over a very fun device. I don't share many of his complaints. It may come down to our bodies and how the vest fit us.

Sep 16, 2021 at 2:30 AM Post #17,621 of 22,468
Lol. I am certain that these guys will still stick to headphones.

I have disinvested from two channel entirely.

For me, I mostly do desk listening and listening combined with other activities like reading or writing or emailing (unless I am doing critical listening for reviews). Speakers just don't work well for that use case.

Last but not least, and controversial argument alert, but I personally find headphones more transparent in a certain way, because they disappear on my head (even if they are heavy like the TC). After a while, I forget they are there.

Regardless of how much speakers disappear in a good room, and how incomparable the imaging and staging are for speakers, I prefer headphones than having to sit infront of speakers.

Others' mileage may vary, of course.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2021 at 2:54 AM Post #17,622 of 22,468

For me, I mostly do desk listening and listening combined with other activities like reading or writing or emailing (unless I am doing critical listening for reviews). Speakers just don't work well for that use case.

Last but not least, and controversial argument alert, but I personally find headphones more transparent in a certain way, because they disappear on my head (even if they are heavy like the TC). After a while, I forget they are there.

Regardless of how much speakers disappear in a good room, and how incomparable the imaging and staging are for speakers, I prefer headphones than having to sit infront of speakers.

I didn’t realize how crappy my room acoustics were until I started down the headphone rabbit hole…..

now 90% of my listening happens via headphones.

Sep 16, 2021 at 3:28 AM Post #17,623 of 22,468
I didn’t realize how crappy my room acoustics were until I started down the headphone rabbit hole…..

now 90% of my listening happens via headphones.
This is so true

9 months ago I moved into a new detached property , so my headphone listening virtually stopped .

I then decided that I should sell one of my headphones as in my eyes they are too expensive to sit in their boxes. So about a month ago I decided to do some listening to see which one to sell. Wow I forgot how good listening to headphones can be , it’s just so intimate and the music is so pure . No room interfering with the sound .

You can probably guess what’s coming next …….😀. yes I am now considering a big purchase of either the Susvara or the TC. This hobby is a strange one, but it’s great fun

I would even say that when I listened to my main speaker set up last night I felt a little disappointed😀

Sep 16, 2021 at 4:40 AM Post #17,624 of 22,468

It’s a bit OT, but a speakers system requires much more effort to get right.
Room acoustic treatments, speakers and equipment placement. Damping and isolation of gear. More cables mix and match, more components mix and match.
Headphones systems are much more plug n play, choose the headphones you like, match an amplifier and you’re done (not referring to source components as they, more or less, share the same considerations for a headphones/speakers system).

Once you get it right, there’s no comparison IMHO.

BTW, I sit in front of my speakers system with my laptop, work/email/read. Not much different from listening to headphones.

Sep 16, 2021 at 6:31 AM Post #17,625 of 22,468
I think we have drifted too far, speakers and headphones both have their place.
Being the devils advocate here, if you cannot make one or the other really perform guess who’s to blame.
Let’s move on, anyone got a Balanced Act to sell ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back