The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Apr 18, 2021 at 9:55 PM Post #15,286 of 22,596
I also think the tonality that TToby gives the TCs is really enjoyable, on top of the improved staging and bass. I’m not sure I’d like a more technicalities-oriented version of that. But I’d love to be wrong :). I also prefer the form factor with the TT2, especially since my next big purchase will be the M Scaler

Apr 18, 2021 at 10:24 PM Post #15,289 of 22,596
Apr 18, 2021 at 10:30 PM Post #15,290 of 22,596
Where did you order from?
http://www.thxstereo.com/

Mine will supposedly be delivered by the end of the month. We’ll see. Unfortunately the dealer is basically powerless to do anything about it.

The Abyss vids on YouTube lead me to believe they got a crazy run of orders for 1266’s (they recently bought 2 new multimillion dollar CNC machines to effectively double production). It is what it is I guess.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2021 at 10:38 PM Post #15,291 of 22,596
I have an Etude on the way, so I'll be trying that with the Abyss and Susvara. I didn't find a huge difference between the TT2's balanced outputs and the Pass XA25, so let's see if the Etude impresses me enough to warrant adding it.
I'd imagine the Etude should sound awesome and provide another level of transparency as well as power from the TToby. I'm a bit surprised that you didn't notice that much of a difference between the TT2's XLRs and the Pass XA25. Maybe it has to do with the lower power and Class A design...

Apr 18, 2021 at 10:42 PM Post #15,292 of 22,596
I’d heavily encourage you to try the battery option. It’s inexpensive and has other uses; I was amazed at the results in filtering out/eliminating RFI When using it with the M-Scaler. @ra990 suggested this one and I absolutely love it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085PYYX2B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Yes, this is certainly high on my list but it seems it's also possible to combine all of the options! Haha. I'm in no big hurry. First thing is cables and I'm starting out with the JPS SC 4 RCA interconnect from the TT2 to the TToby for the TC and use the current XLR out to another small but high-powered amp to drive the SR1a. Once I get this squared away (assuming it all works out with this amp) then I'll look into addressing the power supply matter for the HMS and TT2.

Apr 18, 2021 at 10:44 PM Post #15,293 of 22,596
http://www.thxstereo.com/

Mine will supposedly be delivered by the end of the month. We’ll see. Unfortunately the dealer is basically powerless to do anything about it.

The Abyss vids on YouTube lead me to believe they got a crazy run of orders for 1266’s (they recently bought 2 new multimillion dollar CNC machines and effectively doubled production). It is what it is I guess.
The installation of the new equipment apparently stopped/slowed regular production while they were brought on line. I’m glad they are really busy and all, but the wait is getting tiresome. First world problems are the worst...

Apr 18, 2021 at 10:48 PM Post #15,295 of 22,596
:beyersmile: True.

But that audiophile nervosa is kicking in, and it's making me wonder if the TCs and Susvaras could sound even better out of an Etude? :thinking:
Well, the WA33 has a preamp out so you can use both depending on your mood! That's certainly what I'm planning. :L3000:

Apr 18, 2021 at 10:50 PM Post #15,296 of 22,596
The installation of the new equipment apparently stopped/slowed regular production while they were brought on line. I’m glad they are really busy and all, but the wait is getting tiresome. First world problems are the worst...
giphy (15).gif
tenor (35).gif

Apr 18, 2021 at 11:46 PM Post #15,298 of 22,596
Understood, that’s why I plan to swing for the Fences and get The Riviera AIC-10
But as mentioned in a previous post the other day, it supposed to sound better off of the speaker taps than the headphone out. You're spending $17K for basically an overpriced speaker amp. Make that a vastly over priced speaker amp,

Btw, go to the For Sale forum. You can pick one up for $9k. It's been up for sale for 2 1/2 months.

Apr 19, 2021 at 12:33 AM Post #15,299 of 22,596
But as mentioned in a previous post the other day, it supposed to sound better off of the speaker taps than the headphone out. You're spending $17K for basically an overpriced speaker amp. Make that a vastly over priced speaker amp,

Btw, go to the For Sale forum. You can pick one up for $9k. It's been up for sale for 2 1/2 months.
I dunno. I think the value of a product - whatever it is - is in the eyes (or I suppose the ears in this case) of the beholder. There are many Riviera AIC-10 owners who are very happy with it and it is very highly rated in the audiophile circles. There are $100K+ DACs and speaker systems that cost more than decent houses in Southern California. If some people want these things and can afford them, more power to them. I hope that @Spawn300Z gets the amp that he feels will be for the best for him and that he enjoys it immensely for many years to come.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2021 at 12:50 AM Post #15,300 of 22,596
I dunno. I think the value of a product - whatever it is - is in the eyes (or I suppose the ears in this case) of the beholder. There are many Riviera AIC-10 owners who are very happy with it and it is very highly rated in the audiophile circles. There are $100K+ DACs and speaker systems that cost more than decent houses in Southern California. If some people want these things and can afford them, more power to them. I hope that @Spawn300Z gets the amp that he feels will be for the best for him and that he enjoys it immensely for many years to come.
I think what Ken was pointing out was that (a) the AIC-10 is starting to fall off it's pedestal a bit, where people are finding more faults with it, and giving feedback like preferring it off the speaker taps. Which means you may be over paying for the performance, even from a subjective perspective. And (b), reverb if you do want it, you can find it cheaper used. There's one is our FS forum right now, so maybe you could jump at it and net one for substantially less money, this better positioning it's value due to (a).

Not that I'm a fanboy, but I've seen enough of Ken's kit across the threads to know that he also drops stacks on components he finds subjective value in. So that even sets a better context for his insights above.

+1 about nabbing that 1/2 price AIC-10 in the Amplifier FS forum.

But from my guess, I just kinda fell a different amp would work better with the TCs...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back