The JH16 Pro: JH Audio Announces The JH Audio JH16 Pro Custom In-Ear Monitor
Jan 24, 2010 at 11:51 PM Post #181 of 509
well i think everything will be pretty much speculation until people actually get the jh16. I'm assuming jude will be the first person here to have both. from everything i've read so far which isnt much but it seems like they serve two different function as supposed to one being clearly better.

Jan 25, 2010 at 12:59 AM Post #182 of 509
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These would be Jerry's words:

Direct quote from JHA:

"This triple bore allows us to double the low frequency drivers for lower distortion, increased headroom and greater detail and accuracy in the low frequencies."

Maybe it's just marketing hype for the new model or maybe Jerry doesn't want people to feel scammed by the recent sale on the JH13 only to have the JH16 released right after.

Jan 25, 2010 at 1:18 AM Post #183 of 509
Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well i think everything will be pretty much speculation until people actually get the jh16. I'm assuming jude will be the first person here to have both. from everything i've read so far which isnt much but it seems like they serve two different function as supposed to one being clearly better.

Since Jude is King of Head-Fi, I wonder if he could ever muster up the words to say which of these IEM's is qualitatively better. Being King means being diplomatic. With news of perhaps a forthcoming headphone magazine this would compound the issue. It is my guess that Jude, as always, will give a thorough review but will conclude that the JH-13 and JH-16 is only a difference of preferences.

Jan 25, 2010 at 1:56 AM Post #184 of 509
The JH16 may or may not be an improvement over JH13. Big deal, sooner or later JH13 and JH16 is gonna be overtaken (something like JH18 by end of this year for $1199, anyone?). If it isn't, that'd be pretty sad. I'd just stick to JH13 for a few years until they start to break down, and hopefully something so significantly better is out by then (JHXX or some other competitor's product).

Jan 25, 2010 at 4:02 AM Post #185 of 509
Quote:

Originally Posted by jyle_t /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The JH16 may or may not be an improvement over JH13. Big deal, sooner or later JH13 and JH16 is gonna be overtaken (something like JH18 by end of this year for $1199, anyone?). If it isn't, that'd be pretty sad. I'd just stick to JH13 for a few years until they start to break down, and hopefully something so significantly better is out by then (JHXX or some other competitor's product).

JHXX: double dual highs, double dual mids and double dual lows.
I thought the triple would come someday but I feel the double duals are the way they may go.

That's the next upgrade from the jh13pro for me.

Jan 25, 2010 at 4:06 AM Post #187 of 509
Wow, this discussion has become somewhat heated...

It's really too bad that they named the new product JH16. Had they named it JH Studio, for instance, with the target audience being musicians, rather than musicians and audiophiles, it wouldn't have raised this much ruckus. Maybe no ruckus at all.

Jan 25, 2010 at 4:10 AM Post #188 of 509
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioDwebe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, this discussion has become somewhat heated...

It's really too bad that they named the new product JH16. Had they named it JH Studio, for instance, with the target audience being musicians, rather than musicians and audiophiles, it wouldn't have raised this much ruckus. Maybe no ruckus at all.

im with you, hes said it multiple times now, its not better, he even recommends the 13 over the 16 for audiophiles, thats us guys! nothing to freak out about, the 13 is still the best piece for us to be using with recorded music.

or call it the "jh13 live"

Jan 25, 2010 at 6:37 AM Post #189 of 509
^ I'm not so sure about that. I don't own the JH13 PRO, although I have contemplated purchasing it. Despite the assurances that Jerry Harvey has given, having been to the site, read the blurb and the specs, the JH16 PRO does for all intents and purposes look like an advancement in custom IEM technology over the JH13 PRO to me. That doesn't lessen the stellar performance of the JH13 PRO, which is legendary.

However, I am dubious about the distinction that the JH13 PRO is more appropriate for audiophile listening, whereas the JH16 PRO is aimed at musicians for monitoring purposes. That sounds like an attempt on Jerry Harvey's part to placate those JH13 PRO owners, who might feel aggrieved by the surprisingly early announcement of its successor .

The facts as I see them are that both phones are part of the JH Audio "PRO" custom IEM line. The JH13 was the top of that line but it has now been superseded by the JH16 PRO, which has some additional features and refinements. How this translates into audio performance remains to be heard. However, if I was considering buying the JH13 PRO, the introduction of the JH16 PRO would now have to enter into my thinking as well.

Jan 25, 2010 at 8:00 AM Post #190 of 509
Quote:

Originally Posted by iponderous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
....Despite the assurances that Jerry Harvey has given, having been to the site, read the blurb and the specs, the JH16 PRO does for all intents and purposes look like an advancement in custom IEM technology over the JH13 PRO to me....

....However, I am dubious about the distinction that the JH13 PRO is more appropriate for audiophile listening, whereas the JH16 PRO is aimed at musicians for monitoring purposes. That sounds like an attempt on Jerry Harvey's part to placate those JH13 PRO owners, who might feel aggrieved by the surprisingly early announcement of its successor ....

I know Jerry to be a straight shooter. I don't think he's trying to placate anyone here.

I, for one, am not enamored of the current naming convention with some of these top-notch IEMs--that said, I have been able to wrap my mind and ears around the notion that the higher number isn't always better for everyone. When the Ultimate Ears UE11 Pro came out, it seemed to me that there was no uncertain acknowledgment by UE that some (maybe even many) in the audiophile set might prefer the UE10 Pro for its neutrality.

Not too many companies apologize for coming out with new stuff, and, in almost every case (including this one), they shouldn't.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iponderous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
....How this translates into audio performance remains to be heard. However, if I was considering buying the JH13 PRO, the introduction of the JH16 PRO would now have to enter into my thinking as well.

True on both points. Just due to the cost of the things, I don't think you're going to have a glut of people able to describe what they're hearing, as far as differences between the two. I am getting a production sample of the JH16 Pro (I'd guess at least a bit before the first full production units are shipping), and I do have a JH13 Pro and UE18 Pro to compare it to, which I'll do, at least briefly, after I've had some time enough with it to form first impressions. (And, of course, my sonic impressions are my own--as my ears hear, and as my preferences dig--so they may be of limited or no value to others of you.)

I get the impression from Jerry so far (again, not having heard the JH16 Pro yet) that the difference between the 13 and 16 won't be as noticeable for most audiophiles (given their type of use and listening) as with some pros. Here's what JH Audio posted from Jerry on Facebook (which I think was posted here earlier, but is probably worth posting again):

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Harvey
The JH16 is not necessarily a better sounding earpiece than the 13. The JH13 is a killer sounding earpiece and audio-wise it is hard to improve upon. Regarding the sound signature, the 13 and 16 are very similar. The JH16 offers more bottom end capacity and therefore will take more low-end input.

You will notice the difference more in a live setting than a mastered recording. In a live situation the mix is not as controlled. The dynamic range and transient peaks are much more dramatic live. For example, in a live setting, an artist may want to hear a full mix plus a kick drum with a large 50hz boost (more than you would ever hear on a recording) and at a much louder volume than most people would listen. The earpiece needs to have more headroom and capacity so as not to distort at that volume level. This is when the 16 shines. Hope this clears things up a little.

Jerry

I think what he's saying is that there will be differences, but it's going to be close enough for audiophiles that preferences will come into play, so he can't choose for you.

The 16 does have a slightly higher price, but that's not at all surprising, given that there are a total of four more drivers in a pair.

Jan 25, 2010 at 8:02 AM Post #192 of 509
I think this needs to end at a certain point for a long time, eventually there will be a limit of the number of speakers in each earphone I believe. Also people cannot pay all this cash for example the JH13 and then a little while later the JH16 comes out. Well it would not be so bad if current JH13 owners could pay a little extra and have them remolded into the JH16. I think I will wait until the 9 speaker in each ear comes out, i think they will not be able to fit anymore speakers than that for a long time and IF they did, it would be overkill. I think the ideal number is 3 speakers each for the Highs, Mids, and Lows. Also when are there going to be universals with more than 3??? it's been awhile now.

Jan 25, 2010 at 8:24 AM Post #194 of 509
Quote:

Originally Posted by GOLDENZEAL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think this needs to end at a certain point for a long time, eventually there will be a limit of the number of speakers in each earphone I believe. Also people cannot pay all this cash for example the JH13 and then a little while later the JH16 comes out. Well it would not be so bad if current JH13 owners could pay a little extra and have them remolded into the JH16....

Looking at when you registered, you've been around long enough to see that the IEM market currently moves a lot faster than the full-size market. My advice is this: Don't get into a high-end custom IEM if a new model coming out down the road (by any of the players in this field, or players we've yet to see) is going to bring you enough grief to ruin your purchase for you.

If an IEM-eating goblin found all of my custom IEMs and left me just my UE10 Pro, I'd still be a happy man. In fact, that's the piece I've had with me for most of the day today, and I honestly didn't find myself missing my other pieces. Yes, the JH13 Pro and UE18 Pro are, overall, better pieces to my ears, but the UE10 Pro has its own charms--neutrality being among its top qualities. (Don't get me wrong, I'd spiritedly fight with said goblin if I was present at the time of the crime.
wink.gif
)

Anyway, GOLDENZEAL, I think we're going to continue seeing new models of top-flight custom IEMs, as companies like UE, JH Audio, and Westone duke it out. If you have a custom piece that has served you well, I don't see why it can't continue to--and I say this while listening to Colin Hay through my UE10 Pro, which is going on four years old this spring.

Jan 25, 2010 at 8:24 AM Post #195 of 509
Hi,

I thought someone would've posted this by now from the massive JH13 thread. Someone just sent in molds and talked to Jerry and reported the below. This is consistent with what he has been saying all along. If Jerry Harvey uses the JH13s for mastered music that settles the matter for me.

"He [Jerry Harvey] told me to call back the next morning, by which time he would have my molds in my lab. He also was willing to discuss the JH13 vs JH16 question to my satisfaction. His opinion is that for audiophile use, the JH13s are better. He states that the JH16s will be about 2dB louder in deep bass, and that this really is only useful in monitoring in the live settings. For listening to high-quality, prerecorded music on good equipment, he recommends, and uses the JH13s. After this discussion, I did not feel in any way compelled to change my order."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back