The JH16 Pro: JH Audio Announces The JH Audio JH16 Pro Custom In-Ear Monitor
Jan 25, 2010 at 5:19 PM Post #211 of 509
Quote:

Originally Posted by krismusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Arrgh! It's Jimi Hendrix!!!
ksc75smile.gif
(self appointed keeper of the flame)
Re the angst caused by the JH16. If you have the JH13, then from what I read, you are lucky, lucky, lucky. Stop fretting. I wish I could afford them.

redface.gif
Wow, that's sacrilegious of me. My humble apology. post corrected.

Jan 25, 2010 at 5:21 PM Post #212 of 509
Quote:

Originally Posted by Junliang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
*Applause*

Actually, I really wish that those with that kind of mentality.. can give the sleek audio sa6 a try.
Then they will fully hear whether the number of drivers is seriously the matter at hand or not.
tongue.gif

*1 Driver iem ftw~* Haha.

Heh, I'm with you - my favorite universals (aside from the universal version of the JH13 that JH brought to RMAF, which admittedly were spectacular) have been 1 driver IEMs.

Jan 25, 2010 at 5:47 PM Post #213 of 509
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
redface.gif
Wow, that's sacrilegious of me. My humble apology. post corrected.

Ha ha. It's nice if you are down with his music.
cool.gif
Jimi out of 13's must be pretty good, or do they just show up that they are ancient recordings?
smile_phones.gif

Jan 25, 2010 at 5:57 PM Post #215 of 509
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Harvey
The JH16 is not necessarily a better sounding earpiece than the 13. The JH13 is a killer sounding earpiece and audio-wise it is hard to improve upon. Regarding the sound signature, the 13 and 16 are very similar. The JH16 offers more bottom end capacity and therefore will take more low-end input.

You will notice the difference more in a live setting than a mastered recording. In a live situation the mix is not as controlled. The dynamic range and transient peaks are much more dramatic live. For example, in a live setting, an artist may want to hear a full mix plus a kick drum with a large 50hz boost (more than you would ever hear on a recording) and at a much louder volume than most people would listen. The earpiece needs to have more headroom and capacity so as not to distort at that volume level. This is when the 16 shines. Hope this clears things up a little.

Jerry

Sounds like the JH16 would be well suited to expanded dynamic range of something like the Smyth Research Realiser as well. I find that it's tremendous output can cause clipping and distortion with quite a few headphones. It's probably the only way I can hear a hint of distortion with my JH13's even.

-Ed

Jan 25, 2010 at 6:26 PM Post #216 of 509
Quote:

Originally Posted by MusicalMetal420 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't understand all the buyers’ remorse regarding the recent announcement of a model higher than the JH13’s.

First of all, what did we all expect? That that was it? The JH13 was going to be the top-of-the-line IEM for the rest of eternity? It was never going to happen. Let’s say for arguments sake that the 16’s are way better than the 13’s, so what? Your JH13’s were the best thing in the world to you 5 minutes ago.

I think the problem is that by definition, people who buy expensive IEM’s such as JH13 are people who want to know they have the absolute best. Even if the 13’s turn out to be better than the 16’s, the combined psychological aspect of a higher model number, a higher amount of drivers and a higher price point will still play on the minds of JH13 owners.

It’s beginning to sound like JH13 owners have never bought any other products in their lives besides for IEM’s! What about cars, fridge/freezers, computers, MP3 players, televisions (to name a few) etc? I can guarantee you that if you’ve bought any of those products recently, it was out of date by the time it hit the shelves. Every manufacturer in the world is already working on the next in line by the time any given product is released.

The only solution is to never buy anything.

Or, to be mature enough to realize that just around the corner, inevitably, a better product is already being worked on.

(I generally follow the ‘buy one, skip one’ rule when it comes to upgrading. I buy when I need/want it, skip the next upgrade but then buy the one after that. So I’ll be getting the JH17/18/19/20, whichever number marketing research tells JH Audio to name their next product!)

I don't believe anyone who has purchased the 13's felt it would never be bettered. Obviously, as you've stated, technology does move on, and rather too quickly in some fields. However, I don't feel any 13 owner thought that it could (possibly) be bettered just six months or so after its introduction.

I recall reading somewhere in the JH13 appreciation thread (I believe) that indicated that there was nothing in the works for improving upon the 13. And out pops the 16s.

So anyone who's jumped on the 13's after following the long thread, reading all the glowing reviews, and realizing that there was nothing in the works for an improved, better version of the IEM, might feel a bit misled, and quite possibly even betrayed, though that's a bit of a stretch, I admit, that there is an offering now that just might be better.

And no matter how many times anyone reads JH's comments concerning the two, those who feel the way they do will continue to do so because before the introduction of the 16's, they had in their possession what was, by all indications, the best IEM on the market. The 13's may very well still be...but it might not. I think that's the bothersome point for some folks. And for those who just recently pulled the trigger on the 13's, I can definitely understand their angst. Were they aware such a new product was in the works, the trigger probably would not have been pulled quite yet.

Jan 25, 2010 at 6:41 PM Post #217 of 509
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioDwebe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
However, I don't feel any 13 owner thought that it could (possibly) be bettered just six months or so after its introduction..

Well then that's very shortsighted. I bet JH Audio could better the JH13/16's tomorrow if they wanted to concentrate on that.

Quote:

I recall reading somewhere in the JH13 appreciation thread (I believe) that indicated that there was nothing in the works for improving upon the 13. And out pops the 16s.

What you read was when Moseboy posted an email conversation between him and Jerry Harvey. What Jerry said was something along the lines of ' We're working on a new IEM - called JH16 - but they are not a audiophile orientated improvement on the 13's and the 13's are still the best and will for the near future'. It was all said in the same breath.

Quote:

So anyone who's jumped on the 13's after following the long thread, reading all the glowing reviews, and realizing that there was nothing in the works for an improved, better version of the IEM, might feel a bit misled, and quite possibly even betrayed...

I'm sorry but I knew about the imminent release of the JH16's for at least a couple of weeks now. Anybody that hangs around on head-fi and/or did proper research before they spent $1100 should definitely have come across talk about the 16's.

Jan 25, 2010 at 7:46 PM Post #218 of 509
Quote:

I don't believe anyone who has purchased the 13's felt it would never be bettered. Obviously, as you've stated, technology does move on, and rather too quickly in some fields. However, I don't feel any 13 owner thought that it could (possibly) be bettered just six months or so after its introduction.

So anyone who's jumped on the 13's after following the long thread, reading all the glowing reviews, and realizing that there was nothing in the works for an improved, better version of the IEM, might feel a bit misled, and quite possibly even betrayed, though that's a bit of a stretch, I admit, that there is an offering now that just might be better.

And no matter how many times anyone reads JH's comments concerning the two, those who feel the way they do will continue to do so because before the introduction of the 16's, they had in their possession what was, by all indications, the best IEM on the market. The 13's may very well still be...but it might not. I think that's the bothersome point for some folks. And for those who just recently pulled the trigger on the 13's, I can definitely understand their angst. Were they aware such a new product was in the works, the trigger probably would not have been pulled quite yet.

Sorry but that is just a load of whinging crap. Like most of this thread.
I just bought a new computer. Two months later, one is out that is half the size and better spec.
I bought a flatscreen TV and a new model came out a few DAYS later. My TV is still every bit as good as the day I bought it.
Anyone who bought the 13, by all accounts bought a fantastic IEM.

Jan 25, 2010 at 8:03 PM Post #219 of 509
Quote:

I just bought a new computer. Two months later, one is out that is half the size and better spec.
I bought a flatscreen TV and a new model came out a few DAYS later. My TV is still every bit as good as the day I bought it.

I really don't think my statement was "whinging crap." The technilogical upgrades in television and computers have been happening at a blindingly fast rate for quite some time. Those same upgrades in high end custom IEMs have not been nearly as fast. UE10, 11's, then a few years later the JH13s.

How can you compare upgrades that have taken years to that which happens monthly?

Jan 25, 2010 at 9:50 PM Post #220 of 509
Sorry, that was rude of me. I apologise.
redface.gif
It is difficult not to be exasperated by people who are fortunate enough to own the JH13 fretting about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin! I think for my own sanity and to preserve my forum etiquette, I will unsubscribe from this thread and leave you to it.
smile_phones.gif

Jan 26, 2010 at 12:23 AM Post #221 of 509
Quote:

Originally Posted by MusicalMetal420 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well then that's very shortsighted. I bet JH Audio could better the JH13/16's tomorrow if they wanted to concentrate on that.

What you read was when Moseboy posted an email conversation between him and Jerry Harvey. What Jerry said was something along the lines of ' We're working on a new IEM - called JH16 - but they are not a audiophile orientated improvement on the 13's and the 13's are still the best and will for the near future'. It was all said in the same breath.

I'm sorry but I knew about the imminent release of the JH16's for at least a couple of weeks now. Anybody that hangs around on head-fi and/or did proper research before they spent $1100 should definitely have come across talk about the 16's.

That's a bit harsh. I spend a lot of time at this forum, too much really and I wasn't aware of the introduction of the JH16 PRO until I checked in yesterday. And I wasn't aware of moseboy's email exchange with Jerry Harvey either, although I have been away for a week.

I don't think AudioDwebe's reaction is unreasonable under the circumstances, I'm quite sympathetic to it actually.

Jan 26, 2010 at 1:15 AM Post #222 of 509
Quote:

Originally Posted by edwardsean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

I thought someone would've posted this by now from the massive JH13 thread. Someone just sent in molds and talked to Jerry and reported the below. This is consistent with what he has been saying all along. If Jerry Harvey uses the JH13s for mastered music that settles the matter for me.

"He [Jerry Harvey] told me to call back the next morning, by which time he would have my molds in my lab. He also was willing to discuss the JH13 vs JH16 question to my satisfaction. His opinion is that for audiophile use, the JH13s are better. He states that the JH16s will be about 2dB louder in deep bass, and that this really is only useful in monitoring in the live settings. For listening to high-quality, prerecorded music on good equipment, he recommends, and uses the JH13s. After this discussion, I did not feel in any way compelled to change my order."

Well, the only problem with this is that Contrary to the statement from Jerry, the website says this about the JH16: “Designed for Pros and Audiophiles alike

It seems that the only thing that we really know is the differences highlighted in red:

JH16 Pro
Double dual lows, single dual mid, single dual high
Impedance: 18 Ohms
Input Sensitivity: 118dB @ 1mW
Triple bore

JH13 Pro
Dual low, dual mid, dual high
Impedance: 28 Ohms
Input Sensitivity: 119dB @ 1mW
Dual bore

Though, I must say that I do like the statement about the low bass: “The JH16s will be about 2dB louder in deep bass

Jan 26, 2010 at 1:20 AM Post #223 of 509
Quote:

Well said, yours and MusicalMetal420's posts. In fact i bought the JH13 AFTER the JH16 rumours started spreading around Nov. I couldn't care less, because based on what i've heard with the demo units, JH13 is absolutely fantastic enough to take the leap.

Jan 26, 2010 at 2:41 AM Post #225 of 509
Quote:

Originally Posted by imz14u2nv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, the only problem with this is that Contrary to the statement from Jerry, the website says this about the JH16: “Designed for Pros and Audiophiles alike

It seems that the only thing that we really know is the differences highlighted in red:

JH16 Pro
Double dual lows, single dual mid, single dual high
Impedance: 18 Ohms
Input Sensitivity: 118dB @ 1mW
Triple bore

JH13 Pro
Dual low, dual mid, dual high
Impedance: 28 Ohms
Input Sensitivity: 119dB @ 1mW
Dual bore

Though, I must say that I do like the statement about the low bass: “The JH16s will be about 2dB louder in deep bass

Yep, they're the facts as I see them too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back