The JH16 Pro Impressions Thread
Aug 11, 2013 at 4:07 PM Post #226 of 687
Quote:
I find it really quite interesting all these reports of the JH16 being too warm. I had the exact opposite in that I found the JH16 too bright and sibilant...warm is not a word I would have associated with them.
Mine are back with JH Audio to sort out the brightness and ongoing fit issue....we'll see how they are when I get them back.

They are only bright if I break the seal. Once they are in it's another story. The sound signature is more like L shape instead of V. You know that feeling when the first octave note on the piano rattles your ears because of the bass... Something I never experienced with other IEMs at least not the ones I had.

Aug 11, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #227 of 687
I also found the jh16 bright aswell. Im afraid that each jh16 can sound different from the other  jh16 but i hope thats not the case because if it is then it would be a lucky draw whether you get an bright or warm version of jh16.

Aug 11, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #228 of 687
I find it unlikely that a manufacturer who caters significantly to active world class musical acts would have a significant performance variance for their flagship CIEM. I do not find the JH16 FP's to be "Bright" or overly "Warm" They do have a more emphasized low end due to the quad driver, but it is not overbearing or distracting. They are the best CIEM's I have heard so far. My2 cents, YMMV.

beerchug.gif

Aug 11, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #229 of 687
Quote:
I also found the jh16 bright aswell. Im afraid that each jh16 can sound different from the other  jh16 but i hope thats not the case because if it is then it would be a lucky draw whether you get an bright or warm version of jh16.

I think it all depends on what your ears are used to. Shure 530/535 are brighter than the 16's. The 16's are brighter than the 8A in my opinion.

Aug 11, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #230 of 687
Quote:
I find it unlikely that a manufacturer who caters significantly to active world class musical acts would have a significant performance variance for their flagship CIEM. I do not find the JH16 FP's to be "Bright" or overly "Warm" They do have a more emphasized low end due to the quad driver, but it is not overbearing or distracting. They are the best CIEM's I have heard so far. . My2 cents, YMMV.

beerchug.gif

Quote:

I think it all depends on what your ears are used to. Shure 530/535 are brighter than the 16's. The 16's are brighter than the A8 in my opinion.

That is true. Im not saying that jh makes different sound
ciem but this is just an possibility (which i hope its not true). So i guess its just different people had different taste. Personally for me the jh16fp is an great ciem when paired with the correct source or synergy, with my studio v is not so good but with the dx100 or fostex hp-a8 is superb. the reason i find the jh16 bright might be because of my other iem is darker (um3x,ie80,8a) but i find that i tend like bright sound more since i got the jh16 and hd800. Going back to 8a from my jh16 feels like the 8a is really boring and lack energy.
Cheers 
beerchug.gif

Aug 11, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #231 of 687
Nothing like the need for a complete chain. I love the HP-P1 with the JH16's. I have a IPC 7G with nothing but lossless files (all ripped AIFF) and a nice LOD from Toxic Cables. With TOTL cans the weak link is revealed immediately.

Aug 11, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #232 of 687
Also something I never mentioned, it depends on the listening volumes. I listen most of the time at really loud volumes.

If you try the test track "Stereophile 40 Hz or 31.5 Hz, one third octive warble tone at -20dB" , you can never feel the bass at low volumes unless you have an amp. From a direct phone or PC 3.5mm output, you have to turn the volume really high to feed the low drivers.

I think that's why my JH16's sound better when connected to the " Low " headphones output compared to the high one ( low impedance ).

Bass is less bloated and separation is better.

Nevertheless, I always need to boost the 8 KHz and 16KHz 2dB and 3dB respectively; much more vivid and natural.

Aug 11, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #233 of 687
You should try a nice DAC/Amp like the HP-P1 and see what it does for you...

Aug 11, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #235 of 687
It works with an iPod as well. You do not need an iPhone.

Another option would be the Leckerton UHA-6S MK II USB DAC/Amp

http://www.leckertonaudio.com/products/uha-6s-mkii/

I would recommend the ADA4627-1A op amp. That seems to be the one people are going with the most.

Aug 12, 2013 at 1:36 AM Post #236 of 687
It's worth noting that my iPod classic makes my JH16's sound dark and warm, but when I switch to my 6th gen iPod Nano they sound positive and bright. Possibly a better chip set?Also I've found myself listening to them at a much lower volume than I would normally listen at, but they don't reach their full potential and open up until it's back at that normal level. Most noticeable is female vocals don't sound very good until the volume has been brought up.

All that nonsense aside, I find my JH16's very neutral with the exception of that lovely bottom end 
size]
​.

Also I've gotten a few sessions with them on my drum kit and they make it a dream to practice. No more sweaty earmuffs and headphones, no more isolation problems, no more ringing ears!

Aug 13, 2013 at 3:03 AM Post #239 of 687
So... I did some testing today. I have been burning in the JH16 and my cables for 150 hours, and I've only listened to them sparingly, probably around 5 times max for a couple tracks. I selected two tracks that gave me excessively bloated bass with that mid bass resonance that was giving me headaches. This literally convinced me that there was something wrong with my pair or that the JH16s are naturally like this so I was going to send them back either way.

I really didn't expect much change since burn in didn't really change much of the sound anyway, more like refining the sound than changing.

I listened to the JH16 for the first time in probably 50 hours, and wow. I'm pretty much blown away. There's absolutely no more of that resonance and the bass is not bloated anymore. On some tracks, I don't even hear much bass at all, though that is normal for that specific track. The FR sounds very balanced and the bass comes out from hiding only when called for by the track. I mean, it's just not present at all times anymore. When it's called forth, the bass is very strong indeed.

The sheer contrast of my initial impressions, and my impressions now is shocking. This is actually not hyperbole, I know too well what hyperbole is as a Head-Fier for years. I'm really just floored right now. The same tracks, same iPhone, same cables, totally different sound than before. Before, the bass actually mudded out the vocals, but now the vocals have been brought forward, and soundstage is sufficiently 3D and wide as well, relatively speaking, for an IEM.

I've tried switching cables to stock and it's still giving me the same results. I wonder what changed... I'm sure it's not my ears since I haven't given them a chance to adjust to the 16.

Anywho, those who were saying the JH16 didn't really have overpowered bass all the time, but actually sounded balanced, with massive bass only coming forward when called for, were quite right. I'm loving them right now, even with jazz/vocals, and badly recorded kpop as well.

Aug 13, 2013 at 7:18 AM Post #240 of 687
Quote:
So... I did some testing today. I have been burning in the JH16 and my cables for 150 hours, and I've only listened to them sparingly, probably around 5 times max for a couple tracks. I selected two tracks that gave me excessively bloated bass with that mid bass resonance that was giving me headaches. This literally convinced me that there was something wrong with my pair or that the JH16s are naturally like this so I was going to send them back either way.

I really didn't expect much change since burn in didn't really change much of the sound anyway, more like refining the sound than changing.

I listened to the JH16 for the first time in probably 50 hours, and wow. I'm pretty much blown away. There's absolutely no more of that resonance and the bass is not bloated anymore. On some tracks, I don't even hear much bass at all, though that is normal for that specific track. The FR sounds very balanced and the bass comes out from hiding only when called for by the track. I mean, it's just not present at all times anymore. When it's called forth, the bass is very strong indeed.

The sheer contrast of my initial impressions, and my impressions now is shocking. This is actually not hyperbole, I know too well what hyperbole is as a Head-Fier for years. I'm really just floored right now. The same tracks, same iPhone, same cables, totally different sound than before. Before, the bass actually mudded out the vocals, but now the vocals have been brought forward, and soundstage is sufficiently 3D and wide as well, relatively speaking, for an IEM.

I've tried switching cables to stock and it's still giving me the same results. I wonder what changed... I'm sure it's not my ears since I haven't given them a chance to adjust to the 16.

Anywho, those who were saying the JH16 didn't really have overpowered bass all the time, but actually sounded balanced, with massive bass only coming forward when called for, were quite right. I'm loving them right now, even with jazz/vocals, and badly recorded kpop as well.

Another great example of JH16 burn in....It is not a myth....enjoy them GG!

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back