The JH16 Pro Impressions Thread
Aug 4, 2013 at 3:19 AM Post #167 of 687
The greening in stock cIEM cables do not look like actual oxidization of the metals within... but a chemical reaction of the outer clear coating with the body's secretion. This is why I always get black stock cables.

Further, winegums, even if the wire is insulated with PE, which is the most common insulation found across all aftermarket cables, the metal within tend to oxidize regardless because the PE was done improperly. This is what happened with TWag v1, DHC's earlier wires, and some others as well. However, Whiplash corrected their problem with the v2, and DHC also managed to iron out the PE insulation with Neotech, and now it's amazing. DHC's PE is extremely clear looking, which is unique, and it is also glossy to the touch. Zero oxidation even with everyday use for an extended period of time. I'm not 100% sure but teflon insulated wires don't tend to oxidize, but this is just my short observation after owning only two teflon insulated cables. I've owned many more PE insulated cables however.

Aug 5, 2013 at 4:23 AM Post #170 of 687
Quote:
The greening in stock cIEM cables do not look like actual oxidization of the metals within... but a chemical reaction of the outer clear coating with the body's secretion. This is why I always get black stock cables.

Further, winegums, even if the wire is insulated with PE, which is the most common insulation found across all aftermarket cables, the metal within tend to oxidize regardless because the PE was done improperly. This is what happened with TWag v1, DHC's earlier wires, and some others as well. However, Whiplash corrected their problem with the v2, and DHC also managed to iron out the PE insulation with Neotech, and now it's amazing. DHC's PE is extremely clear looking, which is unique, and it is also glossy to the touch. Zero oxidation even with everyday use for an extended period of time. I'm not 100% sure but teflon insulated wires don't tend to oxidize, but this is just my short observation after owning only two teflon insulated cables. I've owned many more PE insulated cables however.

I would have to disagree with you Girls, there's hundreds of stories of speaker wires turning green without human contact. PE obviously allows oxygen to slowly leak through causing oxidation even on OCC wires. I'm very confident that it's an extra coating like DHC and others do to their wires that prevents the formation of Copper and silver oxide. I've done multiple searches as far as PE is concerned and I've found no cases of the actual PE turning green.

Taken from the DHC site:

"The polyethylene insulation has been redesigned for maximum optical clarity, silky smooth feel, and flexibility without microphonics.  Each strand is made of ultrapure OCC copper coated in a secondary layer of pure silver.  The silver-copper strand is then enameled with an invisible, razor-thin layer of enamel, preserving the integrity and beauty of the wire's surface forever."

I'm sure if that if you disagree we can always ask Peter, Chris_himself or another wire guru.

Aug 5, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #171 of 687
Quote:

The greening of stock ciem cables is due to the oxidation of the copper in the wires. It has nothing to do with handling.

Aug 5, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #172 of 687
My point was that I don't really think the material on stock cable is actually PE, and if it is, it's of low quality. Looking at the greening of stock ciem cables, it really doesn't look like oxidation of metal but a discoloration effect of something else. I may be wrong but this is just my observation after handling a couple of these turquoise green stock ciem cables. The greening happens around the area of most contact with skin (around the bend of the ear and maybe down some upper portion of the cable, if IA64 can confirm, and not the entire length (unless you hang it down your back and you sweat a lot), further supporting my theory that it may not actually be oxidation.

Secondly, I'm going to get clarification from Peter, but I don't think his nucleotide is enamel coated (I know his litz wires are) and it doesn't oxidize, or at least his newest batch doesn't after the correction of a PE error by Neotech.

Quote:
I would have to disagree with you Girls, there's hundreds of stories of speaker wires turning green without human contact. PE obviously allows oxygen to slowly leak through causing oxidation even on OCC wires. I'm very confident that it's an extra coating like DHC and others do to their wires that prevents the formation of Copper and silver oxide. I've done multiple searches as far as PE is concerned and I've found no cases of the actual PE turning green.

Taken from the DHC site:

"The polyethylene insulation has been redesigned for maximum optical clarity, silky smooth feel, and flexibility without microphonics.  Each strand is made of ultrapure OCC copper coated in a secondary layer of pure silver.  The silver-copper strand is then enameled with an invisible, razor-thin layer of enamel, preserving the integrity and beauty of the wire's surface forever."

I'm sure if that if you disagree we can always ask Peter, Chris_himself or another wire guru.

Aug 5, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #173 of 687
Quote:
My point was that I don't really think the material on stock cable is actually PE, and if it is, it's of low quality. Looking at the greening of stock ciem cables, it really doesn't look like oxidation of metal but a discoloration effect of something else. I may be wrong but this is just my observation after handling a couple of these turquoise green stock ciem cables. The greening happens around the area of most contact with skin (around the bend of the ear and maybe down some upper portion of the cable, if IA64 can confirm, and not the entire length (unless you hang it down your back and you sweat a lot), further supporting my theory that it may not actually be oxidation.

Secondly, I'm going to get clarification from Peter, but I don't think his nucleotide is enamel coated (I know his litz wires are) and it doesn't oxidize, or at least his newest batch doesn't after the correction of a PE error by Neotech.

Contact with skin and sweat would indeed increase the rate of corrosion in the cables. This would also support my idea that PE or other insulation allows foreign material to precipitate through.

I'm interested in what Peter says, let me know?

Aug 5, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #174 of 687
Maybe. Maybe I'm spouting nonsense and embarrassing myself 
tongue_smile.gif
... Oh yes PE probably does seep foreign materials through since it has happened to many different wires across many companies. I'm curious what Neotech changed when they fixed Peter's nucleotide. I'm going to guess, as you have said, they started using enamel coating on the non-litz as well. I'll confirm with Peter and post. 

All I can say now is: get the black stock cable.

IA64, get an aftermarket cable. I won't really comment on sound (though I will say there is a noticeable improvement), but you will not regret the added comfort DHC's cable provides since he heat bends the wires at the bend point near the ears, so none of that "memory wire" nonsense and thin wires which contribute to extreme tangling. 
Quote:
Contact with skin and sweat would indeed increase the rate of corrosion in the cables. This would also support my idea that PE or other insulation allows foreign material to precipitate through.

I'm interested in what Peter says, let me know?

Aug 5, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #175 of 687
Aug 5, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #177 of 687
My cable turned green and only the upper part ( around ears and Y split ) was affected.  The other lower half is still like new which is kind of annoying. I'd want all the cable to turn green if anything ...lol

Aug 5, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #178 of 687
Quote:
And wait 4-5 months!
Quote:
Toxic Cables Silver Widow Litz!!  
evil_smiley.gif

They are great and no green!

I would've considered giving Toxic a shot if he didn't copy his whole product line from other companies.

He spec's his own cables. Don't know what more you need.

Aug 5, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #179 of 687
Being a very happy user of TripleFi 10 for many years... and  aware that Jerry Harvey  was the master behind  their sound signature.

I wonder if any of the JH16 Freq Phase users could let me know, how would these high end earphones compare sound wise to my beloved TripleFi's,  unamped out of my Ipod Touch 5th ( flat eq).

Thanks

Aug 6, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #180 of 687
Compared to my Etymotic hf3's out of the iPhone, the JH6's stomp them. Better across all frequencies, but you will finally hear the bass you were missing. Give them a decent Amp/Dac as well (Fostex HP-P1) and they really sing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back