The JH16 Pro Impressions Thread
Jun 29, 2013 at 8:37 PM Post #91 of 687
Quote:
I recently got my JH16 when hearing some music from Spotify Premium it sounded very muddy and overly warm. Then listened to some flac converted to 320 CBR MP3, it sounded much much better.

Did any of you guys notice that the JH16s had the bass and very warm notes completely putting an extremely warm signature on the song. Or is something wrong with my unit? Or maybe I should have gone with the JH13s? Anyone know if I ask then they might change it to 13s?

Thanks.

if you look at my previous posts, yes I think I would agree that there is nothing wrong with your unit.  That's just how the jh16's are, super warm.  I almost wished that I got the 13's instead, because I was after bass --tons of it, without the warmpth.  But I also think it has to do with bad recordings because some songs just sounded really good and not warm at all.  An easy fix would be to tone down the 240hz eq to -3 db, if you have some sort of eq capability. 

Overall, the jh16s (and probably the 13's) are really close to perfection, and my only complaint would also apply to all other iems and ciems:  The subwoofers are connected to the same line as the tweeters/mids and so if you want to bass boost, the tweeters and mids will also get that same bass boost signal... and the crossover doesn't help enough in that regard which results in a warmer/less detailed signature. 

I am actually thinking about making my own ciems lol.  It'll have 2 headphone jacks, 1 that leads to the regular ba armature set (low/mid/high), and then 1 that leads to the subwoofer(s?), which has the option to be reconnected back into just the main headphone jack (and become normal ciems/iems).  I'll make (steal?) an adjustable LP filter and put it in line with the subwoofer BA.  The reason for the separate line to the subwoofer BA is to hook up to a separate amp so you can jack up the bass all you want without sharing (and coloring) the same line as the 'regular' set (low/mids/highs).  So the source player will have a splitter that goes straight to the 'regular' BA set, as well as an amp (for the volume control, basically) that will be connected to the subwoofer BA.

An alternate way would probably be for me to just buy some iem/ciems and modify it that way...  and here I thought I was done with the quest for audio nirvana.  Good idea or bad idea? 

Jun 29, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #92 of 687
Quote:
I recently got my JH16 when hearing some music from Spotify Premium it sounded very muddy and overly warm. Then listened to some flac converted to 320 CBR MP3, it sounded much much better.

Did any of you guys notice that the JH16s had the bass and very warm notes completely putting an extremely warm signature on the song. Or is something wrong with my unit? Or maybe I should have gone with the JH13s? Anyone know if I ask then they might change it to 13s?

Thanks.

I would give your JH16's at least a couple hundred hours before you do any critical listening. I do not notice what you are describing. For me they have been quite a revelation and I am very happy!

Jun 29, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #93 of 687
if you look at my previous posts, yes I think I would agree that there is nothing wrong with your unit.  That's just how the jh16's are, super warm.  I almost wished that I got the 13's instead, because I was after bass --tons of it, without the warmpth.  But I also think it has to do with bad recordings because some songs just sounded really good and not warm at all.  An easy fix would be to tone down the 240hz eq to -3 db, if you have some sort of eq capability. 

Overall, the jh16s (and probably the 13's) are really close to perfection, and my only complaint would also apply to all other iems and ciems:  The subwoofers are connected to the same line as the tweeters/mids and so if you want to bass boost, the tweeters and mids will also get that same bass boost signal... and the crossover doesn't help enough in that regard which results in a warmer/less detailed signature. 

I am actually thinking about making my own ciems lol.  It'll have 2 headphone jacks, 1 that leads to the regular ba armature set (low/mid/high), and then 1 that leads to the subwoofer(s?), which has the option to be reconnected back into just the main headphone jack (and become normal ciems/iems).  I'll make (steal?) an adjustable LP filter and put it in line with the subwoofer BA.  The reason for the separate line to the subwoofer BA is to hook up to a separate amp so you can jack up the bass all you want without sharing (and coloring) the same line as the 'regular' set (low/mids/highs).  So the source player will have a splitter that goes straight to the 'regular' BA set, as well as an amp (for the volume control, basically) that will be connected to the subwoofer BA.

An alternate way would probably be for me to just buy some iem/ciems and modify it that way...  and here I thought I was done with the quest for audio nirvana.  Good idea or bad idea? 

Hahaha how much would you charge for it? Great idea.

Does the 13s have the same bass texture and depth (I hope I am describing this right)? I might take a chance and ask them for a change.

I would give your JH16's at least a couple hundred hours before you do any critical listening. I do not notice what you are describing. For me they have been quite a revelation and I am very happy!

I thought BA drivers don't need burn in.

Jun 30, 2013 at 6:22 AM Post #94 of 687
im surprised by this warm sound that people had. my old jh16 abit warm but very far from overly warm. on the other hand its very bright sounding

Jun 30, 2013 at 8:04 AM Post #95 of 687
Quote:
I thought BA drivers don't need burn in.

I have found most gear improves after a few hours are put on them. The JH16's definitely benefited.

Jun 30, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #98 of 687
Get a toxic silver cable or some other custom cables. The imaging/resolution of the stock cable is very bad. I asked my friend to make me a 500 dollars silver cable and it made my jh16 sounding beautiful (much better than twag, Stefan art E and stock). The jh house sounding is not musical at all and u need to adjust it from finding the right source, EQ and cable swapping. Otherwise I suggest get a pair of Fitear 335, NT6pro or SE-5way, they sound much more musical to my ears than both jh13/16

Jul 1, 2013 at 3:23 AM Post #99 of 687
BA drivers does not burn in.
But the crossover circuit next to it does.
And if you are a believer cable and the plug heads do burn in as well.

Jul 1, 2013 at 7:11 AM Post #100 of 687
Quote:
I was wondering.. With the JH16 or other sensitive IEMs.does an average human ear can hear the difference between lossless(flac/wav...) and lossy(320kbps cbr) files playback?

I wondered the same thing many times.  And there are many examples on Head-Fi that will point to both sides.  So what I finally had to do is to check it out for myself.  One weekend while the wife and son were gone, I used the AxB function on Foobar and listened to some tracks that I have been listening to since I was 5.  (I'm now 44).  First try was kind of messed up and I was learning how to do it.  So I got a 50-50 result and could have been guessing.  Second and third times I was able to hear differences about 80% of the time.  So what I determined is that I can probably hear a difference.  And I also figured out that I had to work so hard and listen so critically and switch back and forth so many times and then I was still not accurate every time.

So my personal conclusion for me and the way I listen is that 320 CBR is going to be my choice.  I have 26,000 songs ripped to 320CBR.  And most of those were re-ripped to 320 from lower versions and took a looooong time to redo them all.  I do all my listening portable/transportable on an iDevice, with a headphone amp, and mp3gain adjustments.

But for my test, I used high quality FLAC (I don't remember which setting exactly) from a laptop into RSA Intruder DAC/amp to Grado RS1i.  My test songs were Kansas - Child of Innocence, Borne on Wings of Steel (from Masque) and Down the Road (from Song for America).  Both from the new release box with better mastering than the old releases.  I know these songs intimately.

My normal setup is ipod touch - Silver Dragon LOD - RSA Intruder Amp - Grado RS1i.  320 CBR files with mp3gain @ 90dB.

Hope this helps, but I say test it out for yourself.  You won't be happy until you know for sure if you can hear a difference.

Jul 2, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #101 of 687
Just placed my order few days ago. Hope that my ears size is big enough to make this CIEM

bigsmile_face.gif

Jul 2, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #102 of 687
Mine took 6 weeks from them receiving the impressions to the JH16's arriving at my house....Be patient...
biggrin.gif

Jul 2, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #103 of 687
Hope it's not overly warm. Still waiting to get mine. Already got a twcu v3 cable waiting to plug into my jh16. Seems like the 13s have a better review. But when I tried the 13 and 16s at the shop, I'd choose 16 over 13 any day. :/

Jul 17, 2013 at 5:45 AM Post #104 of 687
Received my JH16s 3 days ago. Fit seems to be good and loving the sound :)

Was going to post a pic but don't seem to be able to :frowning2:. Too much lurking not enough posting maybe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back