The iQube Enigma (Review Updated)
Apr 9, 2008 at 9:32 PM Post #211 of 305
mines just shipped to me. I give up trying to get on the pre-order list for the Pico.....but after reading more about this amp I feel like that was good fortune!

Apr 10, 2008 at 4:17 AM Post #212 of 305
I did it....what could be more satisfying than hearing the beautiful POP of your iQube battery compartment opening for the first time. Thumbs are a bit sore but the video helped tremendously. Now the question is should I wait for my USB charger cord I ordered and put the rechargeables in or do I put in a second set of AAA's and risk having to open the thing a second time?

Apr 10, 2008 at 11:09 AM Post #213 of 305
Quote:

Originally Posted by digihead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did it....what could be more satisfying than hearing the beautiful POP of your iQube battery compartment opening for the first time. Thumbs are a bit sore but the video helped tremendously. Now the question is should I wait for my USB charger cord I ordered and put the rechargeables in or do I put in a second set of AAA's and risk having to open the thing a second time?

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Heeding all the warnings about over-loosening the tabs, I rocked them just a wee bit and tentatively and gently a few times the first time I finally got the iQube opened, I went through my 100 or so hours of normal batteries and yesterday opened the iQ with no probs. It was a very satisfying moment.
biggrin.gif

YMMV but carefully limbering up those tabs seems to do the trick. However, the no risk solution is to get those rechargables in there and worry about opening it again in 3-5 years when the rechargables are spent.

Apr 24, 2008 at 7:47 PM Post #214 of 305
This really sucks, I have been trying to open this thing for an hour. And whats worse is my fingernails have scuffed some of the paint off, I clipped them as close as possible, but I could'nt help it. I love the sound of it, but if I can't get it open I might sell it. Moon audio had no returns on the pre- order
frown.gif
. I mean how hard do you have to push? Thick aluminum doesn't give much.

Apr 25, 2008 at 3:58 AM Post #215 of 305
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ihatepopupads /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This really sucks, I have been trying to open this thing for an hour. And whats worse is my fingernails have scuffed some of the paint off, I clipped them as close as possible, but I could'nt help it. I love the sound of it, but if I can't get it open I might sell it. Moon audio had no returns on the pre- order
frown.gif

The first time is the hardest, once you find the knack, it is very easy. Follow the instructions in the video. It makes it ever so much simpler! Trust me, the quality and performance of the amp is worth the effort.

Apr 25, 2008 at 6:59 AM Post #216 of 305
Quote:

frown.gif

Hi I am very sorry! I am aware that the opening is one of the minor points.

Please be aware that it is not sheer force that is important. it is more the right kind of force in the right direction. As said by HiFlight the Dex video is helpfull and shows how it can/should be done.

YouTube - iQube portable headphone amplifier This is the link.

Really, the first time is the braker but once you have done that it becomed easy.

I hope you will succeed and that it will not destroy your fun with the iQube.

Rgds Hans.

Apr 25, 2008 at 1:02 PM Post #217 of 305
Ihatepopupads,
See my earlier posts in this thread. I suggest you purchase a IPod plastic opening tool (usually around $3.00) and follow my instructions on how to use it to open the iQube. Works great and won't scratch the unit. One of the places you can purchase them from is iFixit: iPod, iBook, & PowerBook Parts and Accessories. It is the green looking plastic tool.
I actually purchased 3 from another vendor overseas but it took 4 weeks to get. Their price was great but 4 weeks didn't cut it!!

Hans, it probably would have been a good idea for you to include one with the iQube at least for this first generation version. It really makes it so much easier to open the iQube the first time, and in quantity would have probably added a $1.25 or less to the overall price of the iQube. Well worth it in order to cut down on the level of user frustration doing this task!

Apr 25, 2008 at 1:43 PM Post #219 of 305
Well I finally got it! I had to take my plastic tooth pic from my swiss army knife to put in the opposite corner (gap) of the first tab and slide it towards the fist tab while applying pressure on the fist tab. The rest was pretty easy, then I gently messaged the tabs. I need to buy the charger cable and some of the sanyo rechargables.

I did scratch the edge up a bit though, but some black magic marker fixed that
biggrin.gif
I guess I really wouldn't be happy with the sound of another amp, as I really like the highs on this one, it makes even my E530s sound like they have great treble extension. Hans just out of curiosity, would you sell a battery cover plate if someone really messed theirs up, and would you have any idea what that would cost?

Apr 25, 2008 at 2:01 PM Post #220 of 305
Quote:

Hans just out of curiosity, would you sell a battery cover plate if someone really messed theirs up, and would you have any idea what that would cost?

Well, for the time being I cannot sell the covers separately since I have fixed production numbers. So if I sell one, I have one iQube missing a cover
eek.gif

However I have raised the question to the machinery asking what creating a couple of seperate lids would cost. It would not go cheap I guess, it will be all handwork, including the painting.

The question was raised before (naturally
redface.gif
).

I'll report back here when I have an answer, but that will not be for a couple of weeks because this country is near to closing down for the spring holidays.
There are an awfull lot of banking days next weeks and if people take 2 days extra they have a whole week holiday! So you can imagine.

Rgds Hans

Apr 25, 2008 at 2:15 PM Post #222 of 305
Quote:

Originally Posted by hoosterw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, for the time being I cannot sell the covers separately since I have fixed production numbers. So if I sell one, I have one iQube missing a cover
eek.gif

However I have raised the question to the machinery asking what creating a couple of seperate lids would cost. It would not go cheap I guess, it will be all handwork, including the painting.

The question was raised before (naturally
redface.gif
).

I'll report back here when I have an answer, but that will not be for a couple of weeks because this country is near to closing down for the spring holidays.
There are an awfull lot of banking days next weeks and if people take 2 days extra they have a whole week holiday! So you can imagine.

Rgds Hans

I'm really envious, just in time for GTA 4
biggrin.gif
( we will find out who the gamers are) Yes, and I am really going to need a new cover as more paint came off and I tried to touch it up with some craft paint I have on hand, so of course it looks TERRIBLE. I look forward to hearing from you Hans
smily_headphones1.gif
Thank God it's only cosmetic, of course when an amp looks this nice .......

Apr 29, 2008 at 4:35 AM Post #224 of 305
Quote:

Originally Posted by hrz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found iaudio X5's charger tip would fit for iQube, and the charger's output is DC 5V 1.5A .Is it safe to use on iQube? Can anybody help me please? Thanks

If the tip polarity is correct, it will be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back