The iPhone 3GS, sound quality and controllability
Jul 13, 2009 at 8:23 AM Post #16 of 38
After listening to an old school (original ipod 1G 30GB ) for several years, I can say that the DACs are much improved on the Iphone 3GS. I was surprised that I prefer listening to it through my KSC75's vs my Grado SR60s, although, when not in public I use the Shure E5s. I use the Iphone unamped and with no EO. I just hacked a pair of Yuin PK3s onto the iphone remote mic cable and am auditioning for mobile use. Will let you know what I think. This is the Iphone 3GS 32GB.

md
p.s.

Jul 14, 2009 at 5:31 AM Post #17 of 38
My favorite setup right now is the iphone with yuin pk3s... I grafted the original iphone remote cable to the pk3's drivers. I like this setup better than using my tried and true ksc75s <-- this says a lot for me.

Jul 15, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #18 of 38
Did you put the yuin drivers back in the standard iphone/ipod earbuds or replace them?

Am thinking of doing this mod for my gf who is probably the only one in the world who loves the fit of the apple buds. but she hates the sound. I suggested Yuin pk3 or pk2s but being both designers she hates how expensive they are compared to how they look plus how she'd lose the remote function.

I just modded my iphone cable with my senn cx300s as I use other headphones primarily and usually just stick them in pocket incase I want to listen to ipod during day. I am really please with this upgrade, just purely on comfort level. But the cx300s buds dont look too bad either.

Would it be possible to just nick the yuin pk3 drivers and put them in the apple bud housing? is there a difference in cable quality or would the housing change the quality?

Jul 15, 2009 at 6:15 AM Post #19 of 38
I am using the yuin housings. I just soldered the iphone cable to the yuins.

Jul 17, 2009 at 7:18 AM Post #20 of 38
I am actually very excited about this phone (I never thought I would say this about a mobile phone or apple product but I do). I have been listening to som epodcast last night (could not sleep) sinc eI am blind i never thought much of the newer apple products but the iphone 3gs seems to be VERY accessible. This could be a wonderful all-in one solution for phone/sms/internet/music listening especially since it can work with a lod cable.
Greetings, Anouk,

Jul 17, 2009 at 7:25 AM Post #21 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anouk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...the iphone 3gs seems to be VERY accessible. ...,

Anouk - I assume its accessible because of the voice commands. I wonder how well this works in practise?

Jul 17, 2009 at 7:57 AM Post #22 of 38
Hello,
Warning ramble alert:
Well I only have heard one podcast so far on a general purpose podcast site which had some visually impaired people talk about their iphone 3gs experiences, i still need to listen to more. How it actually works is that apple has put a screenreader called voiceover onto the iophone, it is actually part of the operating system so many apps are accessible by default or it is very easy to make them so. You use the touch screen (yes I was skeptical about this too) just like a sighted person, you use gestures. I havent read all about it yet but everyone can try voicover since every 3gs hs it and it does not change anything about your system, you can turn it on or off, its just another app. I guess there is a manual somewhere an dI want to hunt it down and read all about it preferrably on my pc though.
I can now udnerstand that the screen would be possible to navigate with a touch screen, i still wonder about typing though but I am getting reports from blind people who are able to do it....
This is all so very exciting to me since other phones, symbian or windows mobile, with a screenreader which you always have to buy separately and costs 300 euro and is not transferrable from phone to phone, are MARGINALLY accessible at best so this really is arevolution and I feel really excited about this. I am so happy i mailed apple accessibility after i visited an apple store on wednesday and was quite disappointed at that tim ethat i could not use an apple macbook pro immediately. Yes, there is a learning curve to use voicover if you are used to windows but apparenlty it works quite well. I will certainly go back to that store in a week or so AFTER having read the manual this time.
Yes you heard that right voicover come sstandard with mac osx on all mac computers so all macs are accessible to visually impaired people right out of the box, that is so totally unlike any windows machine. Screenreaders normally can cost something lik e800 euro and you have to install them separately from windows and just HOPE that they will work with your particular video card. Also application support on windows is not so good as on the mac since the screenreader is not built into windows and it is more difficult to make stuff accesssible when this is not the case.
Greetings, Anouk,

Jul 17, 2009 at 9:01 AM Post #24 of 38
Hello, well its not like I really NEED a phone like the iphone but it sure is cool. I read on wikipedia that the apple headset still offers som ebutton functionality, that would be nice in the ipod mode. I wonder if it is possible to hack if off and use it with a regular headphone? I guess not. I wonder though if you use a lineout with a lod, how would you then handle calls? would you still har those through the phone or would you have to remove your lod before answering a call?
Greetings, Anouk,

Jul 17, 2009 at 9:37 AM Post #25 of 38
Anouk, how nice to talk to you again!

Not having played with the VoiceOver command, I can't even imagine recommending the iPhone to you. There's very few physical buttons as you are quite aware, even skipping songs seems like a pain unless you get a remote like the Griffin Smarttalk with one button or, and I do believe rotorwash mentioned this at the top of this page, is possible to put your earphones on if you can find someone with proper soldering skills. I will be trying the same thing if I can find someone who wants to try, with my UE-11's since they have replaceable cables.

Handling calls I am not sure of, but when you use a Bluetooth Headset, you can choose where the sound is output and what microphone to use as well. Otherwise, I would suggest removing the LOD. Also, maybe you should consider the phone for slightly more casual listening and not use a LOD, instead plugging in your earphones into the jack? If you use earphones that aren't PK1's, it should not be a problem for the little amp, and even unamped the iPhone sounds pretty good.

I will be looking for someone with soldering skills and see if they can hack me a nice iPhone cable for my UE-11's.

Jul 17, 2009 at 9:56 AM Post #26 of 38
Hey, wow so you already have one of these, lucky you! Well its not like I need a new phone, i dont use mine often in fact but that might be because with the nokia few apps are accessible. Still I was pretty excited and overwhelmed to just hear that a lot of blind ppl are already using this since this is the first version that is accessible. I am on a mailing list and have heard of at lieast 6 blind people who use it with success. Well at least I know what I will ask for christmas this year or I will wait for the new version which, according to some sources, should hit the marke tin july next year. I just think its really great news and this gives me new confidence in apple. Hopefully I can still dig up a manual somewhere and study it so when my brother gets one I can try his out before I make a decision.
Greetings, Anouk,

Jul 17, 2009 at 11:19 AM Post #27 of 38
I'm a little clueless on how to use thing though. Say I find a song and play it how do I simply add songs to the current playlist? It seems any time you touch another song it does not queue up it just cuts right into the new song.

Then with on the go playlists if you start one while listening to a song it does not switch over to that playlist you must switch manually after your current song is done.

To add to the misery the on-the-go playlist song selection method if frankly sad. It now has a bunch of (+) symbols on the right that make scrolling down to your artist or album using the side "alphabet" bar impossible. You have to work your fingers like crazy to get to the artist or album or song that you want.

It seems search is the only way to properly and effectively use this thing. I love the phone and it tears my former Nokia to shreds, but the iPod function is frankly bad on this.

Is there something I'm missing here? Why can't the default action on touch be "add to current playlist" and double tap to "play now"? I don't get it.

Jul 17, 2009 at 1:46 PM Post #28 of 38
Just for interests sake below is a link to a review of the iphone plus voicover by a blind person to show you how it works. I havent finished reading it yet though so not sure if he focusses on Voice Commands (which i think you mainly use when calling people or when in the ipod mode) or the virtual keyboard:
The Accessible iPhone 3GS-- Lioncourt.com

Greetings, Anouk,

Jul 18, 2009 at 3:49 PM Post #29 of 38
Man the iphone 3gs sounds great straight out to the jh-13's makes it a little hard to hold on to a portable amp considering the size factor to sq which is not very different
wink.gif

Jul 19, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #30 of 38
I am very happy with the headphone out sound of my iPhone 3GS, and that it is also a bit faster than my old iPhone 3G. I traded my old 16Gb 3G for an 8Gb 3G and $200, to keep as a spare as it sounds very good too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back