The iPhone 3GS, sound quality and controllability
Jul 2, 2009 at 11:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

ZarakiSan

100+ Head-Fier
I got one. The iPhone 3GS in 32GB and white to be exact. It sounds very very nice. The bass is immediately stronger is my experience, than the iPod touch 2G. That's very odd, but it makes for a funner sound, which is exactly what I like in my sound with UE-11's straight from the headphone out.

Although it does give off the message about if I want to turn on Airplane Mode, I haven't heard interference whilst holding the T4 a few inches away from it. That's very nice. I use a simple line out dock, nothing special at all. There's no noise from the phone either, very very good in that respect.

With the huge sales, how do you guys like the new 3GS?

Jul 2, 2009 at 11:14 PM Post #2 of 38
Awesome, every bit better than my old 3G.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 2, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #3 of 38
Does anyone know if going through the LOD on the Iphone still makes the signal go through its amp like it did on the old Ipods (hence the need for an imod) or does it actually, correctly, go straight from the dac?

Jul 2, 2009 at 11:21 PM Post #4 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know if going through the LOD on the Iphone still makes the signal go through its amp like it did on the old Ipods (hence the need for an imod) or does it actually, correctly, go straight from the dac?

Straight from DAC, though obviously probably through a capacitor or two (but no amp).

Jul 2, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #5 of 38
Care to share your intel?

Jul 3, 2009 at 12:06 AM Post #6 of 38
I previously used an ipod "video" - that's what it was called when I bought it before the next generation was renamed the "classic" following the release of the touch. I do think the internal amplifier in my 3GS is better than my old ipod video in power and SQ although I haven't done any comparative listening.

Jul 3, 2009 at 12:18 PM Post #7 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Straight from DAC, though obviously probably through a capacitor or two (but no amp).

So this is a for sure answer or a maybe?

Jul 6, 2009 at 8:51 PM Post #10 of 38
DAC's with discrete output stages are generally fairly expensive, so I would assume that the iphone's line level uses op amps. Admittedly, this is pure speculation on my part.

Jul 7, 2009 at 8:36 AM Post #12 of 38
This seems like a silly question, but do any of you 3G S owners have experience with the Asus Xonar STX soundcard?

Ever since I got the Westone UM3X's I can't stand listening to my first-gen iPhone, while the line-out RCA's on the STX are immensely enjoyable. So, if the 3G S can match the quality of that particular source then I'm sold. I've never owned headphones this revealing before, so this is my first time ever paying attention to the sound quality of my portable source.

I'm already sold on the other features of the 3G S. I've loved my iPhone ever since I got it a couple years back. But the sound quality is a major drawback at this point, so I'm open to upgrading.

Jul 9, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #14 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamba315 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This seems like a silly question, but do any of you 3G S owners have experience with the Asus Xonar STX soundcard?

Ever since I got the Westone UM3X's I can't stand listening to my first-gen iPhone, while the line-out RCA's on the STX are immensely enjoyable. So, if the 3G S can match the quality of that particular source then I'm sold. I've never owned headphones this revealing before, so this is my first time ever paying attention to the sound quality of my portable source.

I'm already sold on the other features of the 3G S. I've loved my iPhone ever since I got it a couple years back. But the sound quality is a major drawback at this point, so I'm open to upgrading.

The 3G S is my favorite portable source. I've owned products from Meizu, Cowon, Apple, Nokia, and Sony and the 3G S comes ahead of them all. My IE 8 is pretty source-critical, sounding terrible out of the headphone-out of my PC (Creative Audigy ZS), but wonderful from my 3G S.

Jul 9, 2009 at 11:21 AM Post #15 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 3G S is my favorite portable source. I've owned products from Meizu, Cowon, Apple, Nokia, and Sony and the 3G S comes ahead of them all. My IE 8 is pretty source-critical, sounding terrible out of the headphone-out of my PC (Creative Audigy ZS), but wonderful from my 3G S.

I'm really excited about the 3gs and am looking forward to it coming on sale here in Sweden July 31st. Hopefully it won't be too expensive for my thin wallet. Guess I got to stop using those nicotinethings... well it's a really good incentive to stop since the phone-cost will be hanging over me for the coming 24 month
smile_phones.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back