THE INTRUDER by RSA. balanced dac/amp. . Update available for even better sound. Just pay shipping.
Mar 22, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #676 of 687
  Hi fellow headfiers. Sometime on last year, i bought a used T+RSA The Untruder and the buyer also gave me two interconnect which are :-

1. Single ended (3.5mm MALE to kobicon) : to connect Line Out from DAP to Intruder balanced input

2. Single ended (3.5mm FEMALE to kobicon) : to connect Intruder balanced output to 3.5mm single ended headphone/IEM

As I know, Kobicon (balanced) only can be connected to balance cable & 3.5mm output can be connected to 3.5mm single ended or if using an adapter, balanced to 3.5mm single ended.

The buyer also said he used all the cables that he give me to connect to the Intruder. As i write this, The Intruder still functioning 100%. But I read that the internal amp could be damaged if we connect single ended cable to balanced input/output.

So, hope can get advice / opinion regarding this from this thread. Thanks  

That's my understanding also, just email Ray RSA @ rsaudio@raysamuelsaudio.com he responds quickly. Once you get an answer kindly post his responce so we can all learn.. Thx

This is what it says on his site about the Intruder  "The BALANCED/SE switch should be toward SE connector, 3.5 mm, when input signal is from a SE source. When fully balanced signal is used from either balanced CD or DAC the BALANCED/SE switch should be toward the BALANCED Connector."

Mar 22, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #677 of 687
  Hi fellow headfiers. Sometime on last year, i bought a used T+RSA The Untruder and the buyer also gave me two interconnect which are :-

1. Single ended (3.5mm MALE to kobicon) : to connect Line Out from DAP to Intruder balanced input

2. Single ended (3.5mm FEMALE to kobicon) : to connect Intruder balanced output to 3.5mm single ended headphone/IEM

As I know, Kobicon (balanced) only can be connected to balance cable & 3.5mm output can be connected to 3.5mm single ended or if using an adapter, balanced to 3.5mm single ended.

The buyer also said he used all the cables that he give me to connect to the Intruder. As i write this, The Intruder still functioning 100%. But I read that the internal amp could be damaged if we connect single ended cable to balanced input/output.

That's my understanding also, just email Ray RSA @ rsaudio@raysamuelsaudio.com he responds quickly. Once you get an answer kindly post his responce so we can all learn.. Thx

This is what it says on his site about the Intruder  "The BALANCED/SE switch should be toward SE connector, 3.5 mm, when input signal is from a SE source. When fully balanced signal is used from either balanced CD or DAC the BALANCED/SE switch should be toward the BALANCED Connector."

Mar 22, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #678 of 687

Mar 22, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #679 of 687

Mar 22, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #680 of 687

Mar 24, 2017 at 12:07 AM Post #682 of 687

Hi, this is what RSA said regarding the matter. As we all expected :

It is only a matter of time before your 4 expensive buffers will short out.
There is no benefit from making either of the two cables as the Intruder has all that you need if you read the little booklet that came with it or go to the Intruder
page on my web site.
Taking the SE to balanced of the Intruder means nothing as the balanced of the Intruder input is looking for balanced signal & you are feeding it a SE signal only & you are doing more harm as the balanced input of the Intruder DOES NOT convert the SE signal fed to the balanced input to a balanced signal.
IT IS ONLY the SE input of the INTRUDER that converts SE signal to balanced. So you are spending money & not getting the balanced sound & shorting inputs that might introduce distortion.
The worst is when some one takes the balanced output of the INTRUDER & shorts the buffers to get a SE signal. That heats the buffers & make them distort.
I have provided the SR output so WHY do some do harm to the amp when I am the designer & know what to recommend.
Please through both cables in the garbage.
When the buffers come shorted to me I know what happened I charge the person $100.00 for the 4 buffers as that is what they cost with out the time that takes to replace them.
Be wise my friend & do the right thing.
Just remember to flip the input switch on the back panel toward SE input jack when using SE signal.
Flip the Input switch toward the balanced input jack when using a balanced signal when using balanced signal.
Cheers.
Ray Samuels

Mar 24, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #683 of 687
  Hi, this is what RSA said regarding the matter. As we all expected :

It is only a matter of time before your 4 expensive buffers will short out.
There is no benefit from making either of the two cables as the Intruder has all that you need if you read the little booklet that came with it or go to the Intruder
page on my web site.
Taking the SE to balanced of the Intruder means nothing as the balanced of the Intruder input is looking for balanced signal & you are feeding it a SE signal only & you are doing more harm as the balanced input of the Intruder DOES NOT convert the SE signal fed to the balanced input to a balanced signal.
IT IS ONLY the SE input of the INTRUDER that converts SE signal to balanced. So you are spending money & not getting the balanced sound & shorting inputs that might introduce distortion.
The worst is when some one takes the balanced output of the INTRUDER & shorts the buffers to get a SE signal. That heats the buffers & make them distort.
I have provided the SR output so WHY do some do harm to the amp when I am the designer & know what to recommend.
Please through both cables in the garbage.
When the buffers come shorted to me I know what happened I charge the person $100.00 for the 4 buffers as that is what they cost with out the time that takes to replace them.
Be wise my friend & do the right thing.
Just remember to flip the input switch on the back panel toward SE input jack when using SE signal.
Flip the Input switch toward the balanced input jack when using a balanced signal when using balanced signal.
Cheers.
Ray Samuels

Thanks lightning for the update, this should help all future buyers how to operate there Intruder when it comes to SE VS Balanced input into the Intruder. As you said, "as we all expected"

May 30, 2018 at 9:54 PM Post #684 of 687
RSA's not quite done just YET!!! Ray still seems to have some Stock on his web site which is good for us as this unit's pretty solid

A big thanks to @Howlin Fester for sharing his unit with myself and another member for a little mini tour, I have to say compared to my newer but now extinct Geek Out V2+ the intruder's no slouch! I am indeed running it fully balanced with the USB input and thus far I'm pretty impressed

May 31, 2018 at 4:45 PM Post #685 of 687
I was using it with an iBasso DX50>line out. When I switched to the Cayin N3 and the Shanling M2s, > usb Dac, that took the intruder to another level for me

I felt that kicking it through the Dac provided a wider sound stage. I love the Intruder.@Mshenay Glad you are enjoying it

Jun 1, 2018 at 10:29 AM Post #687 of 687
I was using it with an iBasso DX50>line out. When I switched to the Cayin N3 and the Shanling M2s, > usb Dac, that took the intruder to another level for me

I felt that kicking it through the Dac provided a wider sound stage. I love the Intruder.@Mshenay Glad you are enjoying it

Yea I've not actually used the Amp only section thus far, but it makes sense that using the Dac would open things up, it'll run fully balanced with the internal Dac VS using a Single Ended Line in. Though I've yet to try it with my M2/3s only my cell so I'll likely do that today! THen it's onto the amp only comparisons with my HM901 line out and my other 2 balanced amps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back