THE INTRUDER by RSA. balanced dac/amp. . Update available for even better sound. Just pay shipping.
Apr 12, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #496 of 687
  Does anyone have the physical dimensions of the Intruder on hand? I want to order a carry case for my Intruder/DX90 stack for when i'm on the go, and I need to make sure I get one the right size.
I left my intruder at home (I'm at work atm) so I can't check it till I get home.

Probably going to order one of these if it's big enough: http://www.crumpler.com/au/camera-bags-straps/tuft-l

3-7/8 in. long x 2 1/2 in. wide x 3/4 in. thick max.(at the head where the volume knob is found). I did not calculate the length with the volume knob which will lengthen the unit by about 1/2 inch.

Apr 12, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #497 of 687
Perfect! Thanks Jon!
The larger sized Crumpler TUFT should be perfect for a double stack (DX90/Instruder) and there's also 2 mesh SD memory card pouches inside where I can store my IEM's :-D

Apr 12, 2014 at 11:59 PM Post #498 of 687
Does anyone have the physical dimensions of the Intruder on hand? I want to order a carry case for my Intruder/DX90 stack for when i'm on the go, and I need to make sure I get one the right size.
I left my intruder at home (I'm at work atm) so I can't check it till I get home.

Probably going to order one of these if it's big enough: http://www.crumpler.com/au/camera-bags-straps/tuft-l

I planned ahead (don't got dimensions though sorry) and bought a maxpedition lp-1 holster (?). It will fit any phone and portable amp/dac with adjustable width and height.

Easy on the eyes too!

Apr 17, 2014 at 12:23 AM Post #500 of 687
What would be a solution to deal with cellphone network (EM) interference?
I usually just switch to airplane mode during certain times at work and other times the songs can cover it up.

Any advice would be appreciated!

EDIT:
Also I bought a micro to mini usb connector from JDS labs and it's real crappy. If I move the micro usb connector even a little while it is in the phone it just cuts out all signal.
I'm forced to use my micro to usb then usb to mini connectors which is a lot of unneeded length!

Anyone have any experience or recommendations with this aswell?

Apr 17, 2014 at 2:13 AM Post #501 of 687
What would be a solution to deal with cellphone network (EM) interference?
I usually just switch to airplane mode during certain times at work and other times the songs can cover it up.

Any advice would be appreciated!

EDIT:
Also I bought a micro to mini usb connector from JDS labs and it's real crappy. If I move the micro usb connector even a little while it is in the phone it just cuts out all signal.
I'm forced to use my micro to usb then usb to mini connectors which is a lot of unneeded length!

Anyone have any experience or recommendations with this aswell?

For the first issue, it reminds me of the joke about the doctor and patient;

Patient: it hurts when I lift my right arm up in the air. What would you suggest to cure it?
Doctor: Don't lift your right arm up in the air.

The best is not to use a device that transmits EM. I am saying it because it's not easy to isolate an amp/dac and headphones/iems against EM. Even with a metal enclosure it's still not enough. The union of your amp/dac and the headphones/iems can sometimes act as a big antenna and capture those waves. If you can afford a digital player that would be the best solution. Keep your phone for what's it's really good at, phone functions. :wink:

For your second problem, what are you looking for as far as cable endings?

Hey guys, anyone know what the upgraded DAC of the intruder is?

When I talked to Ray, being a man of few words when internal components are concerned, did not say much other than the USB function was improved.

Apr 17, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #502 of 687
For the first issue, it reminds me of the joke about the doctor and patient;

Patient: it hurts when I lift my right arm up in the air. What would you suggest to cure it?
Doctor: Don't lift your right arm up in the air.

The best is not to use a device that transmits EM. I am saying it because it's not easy to isolate an amp/dac and headphones/iems against EM. Even with a metal enclosure it's still not enough. The union of your amp/dac and the headphones/iems can sometimes act as a big antenna and capture those waves. If you can afford a digital player that would be the best solution. Keep your phone for what's it's really good at, phone functions.
wink.gif

For your second problem, what are you looking for as far as cable endings?
When I talked to Ray, being a man of few words when internal components are concerned, did not say much other than the USB function was improved.

My wallet was afraid of this happening. What do you think pairs well with the intruder? Am I going to use the coaxial out or use the intruder dap with this player? (Looking at X5, DX90, DX50, Ipod classic 5.5, Ipod classic 7)

Thanks!

Apr 17, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #504 of 687
My wallet was afraid of this happening. What do you think pairs well with the intruder? Am I going to use the coaxial out or use the intruder dap with this player? (Looking at X5, DX90, DX50, Ipod classic 5.5, Ipod classic 7)

Thanks!

The coax out only works with an amp/dac coax in which the intruder does not have it does have a balanced in however none of the ones you mentioned has a balanced out. Therefore your only setup will be with the Line Out of any players you specified. I actually tried it with all of the ones you specified except for the DX90. I will be getting the DX90 either today or tomorrow and will try it out. I don't think it will be any different connection wise to the DX50 I already have.

Here is my sound quality rating going from best to worse (note that I base the DX90 according to the few impressions from current owners that are trickling in)

DX90
X5
DX50
iPod Classic 5.5 (specially with direct dac out + caps)
iPod Classic 7.0

You'll have to figure out what features are important to you to pick the right player.
One last item, you'll need a 3.5 mm male to 30-pin connector interconnect cable for the iPod classic solutions.
The other players can use the provided 3.5 mm male to 3.5 mm male IC.

I suggest you look at the threads for the different players to make your purchase, what I can tell you though you'll never have the EM problem ever again after that. :wink:

Apr 17, 2014 at 2:50 PM Post #506 of 687
The coax out only works with an amp/dac coax in which the intruder does not have it does have a balanced in however none of the ones you mentioned has a balanced out. Therefore your only setup will be with the Line Out of any players you specified. I actually tried it with all of the ones you specified except for the DX90. I will be getting the DX90 either today or tomorrow and will try it out. I don't think it will be any different connection wise to the DX50 I already have.

Here is my sound quality rating going from best to worse (note that I base the DX90 according to the few impressions from current owners that are trickling in)

DX90
X5
DX50
iPod Classic 5.5 (specially with direct dac out + caps)
iPod Classic 7.0

You'll have to figure out what features are important to you to pick the right player.
One last item, you'll need a 3.5 mm male to 30-pin connector interconnect cable for the iPod classic solutions.
The other players can use the provided 3.5 mm male to 3.5 mm male IC.

I suggest you look at the threads for the different players to make your purchase, what I can tell you though you'll never have the EM problem ever again after that. :wink:

Ibasso DX50 and DX90 share the same footprint as the Intruder. That would stack nicely. You would use the line out of the Ibasso into the analog input of the Intruder.

Thank you both! I'll be waiting on more dx90 impressions or getting the x5

Apr 17, 2014 at 9:18 PM Post #507 of 687
Was thinking of getting ak120 to pair with intruder. Currently I'm using dx50's line out. Anyone can provide opinions on how they sound? Wasn't thinking of dx90 cuz I own a dx50 and it's in the same form also.

Apr 17, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #508 of 687
Was thinking of getting ak120 to pair with intruder. Currently I'm using dx50's line out. Anyone can provide opinions on how they sound? Wasn't thinking of dx90 cuz I own a dx50 and it's in the same form also.

Used to own this combo. The most analog sounding combo I've ever heard. "Authoritative" is what comes to mind. You have to remember, Ray's amps are all about WHUMP, and the AK120's dual WM8740s have a tendency toward a warmer, fuller tone. You're getting a lot of warmth, but not so much that you'd call it bloated. 

Kojaku

Apr 18, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #510 of 687

Users who are viewing this thread

Back