The Inherent Value of Burn-In
Sep 14, 2009 at 3:43 AM Post #226 of 372
Quote:

Originally Posted by Koyaan I. Sqatsi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd say those Audax drivers would make for some pretty uncomfortable headphones.
atsmile.gif

k

But think of the bass!
wink.gif

Sep 14, 2009 at 3:45 AM Post #227 of 372
They would only become really uncomfortable if you used them as IEM's.

Sep 14, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #228 of 372
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwkarth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But think of the bass!
wink.gif

Before or after you extract your eardrums from the middle of your skull?
atsmile.gif

k

Sep 14, 2009 at 8:54 AM Post #229 of 372
I'm not sure you even need eardrums to enjoy the 'music' coming from that speakers.

Sep 14, 2009 at 1:15 PM Post #230 of 372
Quote:

Originally Posted by Koyaan I. Sqatsi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Before or after you extract your eardrums from the middle of your skull?
atsmile.gif

k

I think this could be weaponized.
ksc75smile.gif

Sep 14, 2009 at 1:33 PM Post #231 of 372
Quote:

Originally Posted by fjf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone has seen any measurements of speakers or headphones changing during break-in?. Those are supposed to have it because of the moving parts. I don't believe there is anything but psychological acclimatization, but objective measurements would change my mind.

Link

Sep 14, 2009 at 7:50 PM Post #232 of 372
Then what phenomenon did I experience when the painful silibance disappeared in my IEMs after leaving them to break in? I can't accept that there is no difference.... Surely some Super.fi 5 Pro owners can back me up here... :/

Sep 18, 2009 at 2:41 PM Post #233 of 372
I don't know if somebody posted this already..

pro900_burn_in_150h.gif

pro900_burn_in_390h.gif

The very subtle differences are measurement errors.

Sep 18, 2009 at 4:00 PM Post #234 of 372
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Link

Thanks for making those measurements. Very interesting indeed!

Quote:

Originally Posted by xnor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The very subtle differences are measurement errors.

I'd be curious to know how you came to that firm conclusion?

Sep 18, 2009 at 4:42 PM Post #235 of 372
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0dhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd be curious to know how you came to that firm conclusion?

I can't speak for those graphs, but if you have any experience with RMAA and the like, you can literally run two tests back to back without changing anything at all and have them show a difference. It would be unreasonable to assume that test equipment is perfectly precise.

Sep 18, 2009 at 5:27 PM Post #236 of 372
Quote:

Originally Posted by royalcrown /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't speak for those graphs, but if you have any experience with RMAA and the like, you can literally run two tests back to back without changing anything at all and have them show a difference. It would be unreasonable to assume that test equipment is perfectly precise.

Yes. That's why averaging is such a useful tool.

k

Sep 18, 2009 at 5:44 PM Post #237 of 372
I am not an audio positivist, who flames posters who say they can hear the difference between FLAC and a.i.f.f. files (I can) or who say they can hear the difference between usb cables feeding usb dacs (I am not sure). However, I have no idea how to judge burn in. I have trouble remembering what things sound like for a couple of minutes in A-B testing. How can someone possibly remember what a component sounds like after 200 or 400 hours?

Sep 18, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #239 of 372
Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sometimes people compare a new something with an older same thing.

Sounds reasonable but even two of the exact same item can have small variations, to be strict you would have to measure two out-of-the-box items to check they were close enough to start with and then burn one in and not the other.

Sep 18, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #240 of 372
Quote:

Originally Posted by JimVincible /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then what phenomenon did I experience when the painful silibance disappeared in my IEMs after leaving them to break in? I can't accept that there is no difference.... Surely some Super.fi 5 Pro owners can back me up here... :/

Your brain adjusted to the sound

Try this test, find some random static-like ambient sound mp3 (white noise or something) and play it at a very low volume on your headphones, where it is barely audible.

Now listen to it and do some errands on your computer for a couple hours. If you take your mind off the sound for a long time, you'll stop hearing it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back