The Inherent Value of Burn-In
Oct 2, 2009 at 9:37 PM Post #256 of 372
To be useful, those measurements need to have an established error margin. Both measurements show what are, if they don't represent measurement errors, audible differences (i.e., > 1dB difference in a fairly wide band).

Oct 2, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #257 of 372
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0dhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To be useful, those measurements need to have an established error margin. Both measurements show what are, if they don't represent measurement errors, audible differences (i.e., > 1dB difference in a fairly wide band).

Most measurable differences if any would be well below any useful margins of error.

Oct 2, 2009 at 10:00 PM Post #258 of 372
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwkarth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most measurable differences if any would be well below any useful margins of error.

Not sure what you mean by this. Which measurable differences? These can contribute both to error as well as to signal.

Oct 2, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #259 of 372
After doing several headphone recables and random soldering I think cable burn-in may play a significant part in headphone burn-in (assuming headphone burn-in is not solely in our minds). Had a detachable blue dragon cable and remembered it had this harshness and confused sound to it for the first hundred hours, then ordered another blue dragon cable and got the same thing for a hundred hours. Now in the process of burning in some silver wires and it sounds reminiscent again except it seems even more harsh.

Oct 3, 2009 at 12:14 AM Post #260 of 372
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0dhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure what you mean by this. Which measurable differences? These can contribute both to error as well as to signal.

Guess he wanted to say that there are so many variables like humidity, temperature, air pressure, headphones adjustment, state of the ear pads etc. that even if you could measure differences you couldn't account burn-in for it.

Which supports my opinion.
biggrin.gif

Oct 3, 2009 at 12:28 AM Post #261 of 372
Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After doing several headphone recables and random soldering I think cable burn-in may play a significant part in headphone burn-in (assuming headphone burn-in is not solely in our minds). Had a detachable blue dragon cable and remembered it had this harshness and confused sound to it for the first hundred hours, then ordered another blue dragon cable and got the same thing for a hundred hours. Now in the process of burning in some silver wires and it sounds reminiscent again except it seems even more harsh.

Our brain is tricked so easily (there are some great audio-visual illusions on youtube), I really would assume the (more likely) opposite first.

The differences between copper/silver I've tried to calculate are far from being audible.

Oct 3, 2009 at 12:42 AM Post #262 of 372
It's interesting how your perception of sound changes when you decide to focus on highs (say you know you are listening to silver cables), Dr. Tomatis' auditory therapy revolves around that. But it's also possible theoretically that after listening to silver cables without knowing you are listening to them for a long time, your mind keeps focusing on the high end emphasis of silver which might be thought of like an auditory version of quickly going from light to dark or dark to light or afterimages of the sun when you suddenly switch to a radioshack cable, which prevents you from knowing the cable has been switched when it's switched (again all this assuming cables aren't just placebo). I would like to see someone do frequency graphs of headphones with a large variety of cables, ranging from cables that are at the considered technical limit of what constitutes "sufficient" design and length to some high end ultra-short cables.

Oct 3, 2009 at 1:01 AM Post #263 of 372
Haloxt, we're getting a bit off-topic, but nevertheless just search for "speaker wire" on Google, first result (at least over here
smily_headphones1.gif
).
Take a look at the frequency response chart with added resistors and set that in relation with headphone drivers' impedance and headphone cables' resistivity (check my prev. link).
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 3, 2009 at 1:09 AM Post #264 of 372
Quote:

It's interesting how your perception of sound changes when you decide to focus on highs (say you know you are listening to silver cables), Dr. Tomatis' auditory therapy revolves around that. But it's also possible theoretically that after listening to silver cables without knowing you are listening to them for a long time, your mind keeps focusing on the high end emphasis of silver which might be thought of like an auditory version of quickly going from light to dark or dark to light or afterimages of the sun when you suddenly switch to a radioshack cable, which prevents you from knowing the cable has been switched when it's switched (again all this assuming cables aren't just placebo).

What's the point of speculating on that when there's no evidence that silver has anything to do with any "high end emphasis" other than the metaphysical "silver sounds bright"?

Quote:

I would like to see someone do frequency graphs of headphones with a large variety of cables, ranging from cables that are at the considered technical limit of what constitutes "sufficient" design and length to some high end ultra-short cables.

You mean beyond the effects of basic resistance, inductance and capacitance?

se

Oct 3, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #266 of 372
Quote:

Yes, beyond those effects.

I'm not aware of any.

Which ones were you referring to?

se

Oct 3, 2009 at 1:34 AM Post #268 of 372
Quote:

Just wanted to see the results of such tests.

But you said you wanted to see the effects of something other than resistance, inductance and capacitance. Without knowing what those other things are, what would be the point of such a test in the first place?

se

Oct 3, 2009 at 1:41 AM Post #270 of 372
Quote:

Why do you have to know what you want to see to do an experiment?

eek.gif

How do you design an experiment to look for something when you don't even know what you're looking for?

se

Users who are viewing this thread

Back