The Indie Music Appreciation Thread
Mar 3, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #181 of 233
Here is some awesome power pop from Redd Kross:

Mar 3, 2013 at 1:11 PM Post #182 of 233
Also, here's some Aussie punk / power pop that's in heavy rotation for me:

Monarchs - Make Yer Own Fun

Mar 3, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #183 of 233
Agreed on Redd Kross. That last album really surprised and delighted me

And after extolling the virtues of Rhapsody a couple of posts earlier I went to download Palma Violets and they only had two songs. A real shame because those two, best of friends and last of the summer wine really left me wanting more.

I'll throw another band out there-- Crooked Fingers. Give Red Devil Dawn a spin if you get a chance The tune You Through A Spark is simply terrific as is most of the album.

Mar 4, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #185 of 233
Yeah, The Monarch album is absolutely excellent and the Aussie power pop music have always been good to my ears.

Another power pop Aussie band/artist that I really enjoy and highly recommend is Dom Mariani, the frontman of the Stems, DM3 and the Someloves. 

Mar 4, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #186 of 233
Quote:
Agreed on Redd Kross. That last album really surprised and delighted me

And after extolling the virtues of Rhapsody a couple of posts earlier I went to download Palma Violets and they only had two songs. A real shame because those two, best of friends and last of the summer wine really left me wanting more.

I'll throw another band out there-- Crooked Fingers. Give Red Devil Dawn a spin if you get a chance The tune You Through A Spark is simply terrific as is most of the album.

Never heard of the Crooked Fingers, but I will give it a go :) The Palma Violets album holds its ground even beyond the two songs that you have heard, me thinks...

Mar 5, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #187 of 233
Quote:

Never heard of the Crooked Fingers, but I will give it a go :) The Palma Violets album holds its ground even beyond the two songs that you have heard, me thinks...

Crooked Fingers started out as a side project for Eric Bachmann who was the guitarist for the Archers of Loaf.  Seems to have developed into a little bit more than that. 

Mar 5, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #188 of 233
Came across a musician yesterday after seeing his fan page open in front of him at a Coffee Shop. He's an older guy named Eric Sommer, and you can find his stuff on SoundCloud (he's likely the second result when searching for his name). Check him out; he's pretty good.

Mar 6, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #189 of 233
Quote:
I still believe that the Local Natives is one of the new(er) US indie bands to catch, their second album, "Hummingbirds" is a sweet pie of different tastes if anyone likes the melodic part of indie rock/pop.

No links, do your own search, part of the internet.. :) Check out if they perform near you and if they do play live near you, then show up, if you like their music of course :)

So far their present tour in Europe at small venues of course, but reviewed from different sources overall gave the Local Natives at least one or more thumbs up for their live performance!

Maybe the Indie band to catch live when they finally hit US  home ground very soon.. and with a very decent new album release in their backpack as well.. Local Natives " Hummingbirds" 

Thanks for the recommendation on Local Natives' latest album 'Hummingbirds'. Lovely stuff...after playing for days and listening to every tracks...it grew on me. Emotional and Haunting... my favourite tracks are 'You and I', 'Ceilings', 'Heavy Feet', 'Colombia', 'Breakers' and 'Black Balloons'.

Another preferred album for the 1st quarter of 2013 is Night Beds - Country Sleep...lovely Indie Folk! I fell in love with the lead singer's voice - Winston Yellen...beautiful, raw and well controlled vocals he has...check them out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlQEPlj5JAA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLMeIsA1xDc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC0bNPs-ahU

Mar 8, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #190 of 233
Quote:

Thanks for the recommendation on Local Natives' latest album 'Hummingbirds'. Lovely stuff...after playing for days and listening to every tracks...it grew on me. Emotional and Haunting... my favourite tracks are 'You and I', 'Ceilings', 'Heavy Feet', 'Colombia', 'Breakers' and 'Black Balloons'.

Another preferred album for the 1st quarter of 2013 is Night Beds - Country Sleep...lovely Indie Folk! I fell in love with the lead singer's voice - Winston Yellen...beautiful, raw and well controlled vocals he has...check them out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlQEPlj5JAA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLMeIsA1xDc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC0bNPs-ahU

Glad to hear that you enjoyed the Local Natives. I have been trying hard to hype them a little bit here on HF :)   Agree with the songs that you mentioned and I may add that "Columbia" the very last track on the album to me at least seems to be the most emotionally and powerful track. This song can almost also be considered as the title song of the album.  Actually this track has some distinct reminiscence of the Band Of Horses, another excellent indie band.

Thanks for the youtube links. Enjoyed it very much. Winston Yellen, right of my left pocket, sounds to me very much like Ryan Adams. Which is absolutely not a bad thing :) I will listen to the whole album in a few days.

Mar 9, 2013 at 2:30 AM Post #192 of 233
Quote:
I have <listened to Pinback> awhile ago but I will have to check out my local record store and pick up a few of their albums. ...
I just got out of a mental hospital.  The whole time I was like I got to listen to some music.  My escape was a fleetwood mac song during our occupational therapy.  

Well, if you're checking out Pinback, their best LP for my money is 'Summer in Abaddon'.  It's great. 

Way more importantly, I hope you're feeling good now.  Hang tough.

Last, I love Fleetwood Mac, too.  But that's all I'll say about that seeing as this is the 'Indie Music...' thread.  Not much 'indie' about FM, but they're great.   

Mar 9, 2013 at 5:03 AM Post #193 of 233
Here's some cool stuff. I'm not sure if it meets everyone's definition of Indie, but it's close enough for me:

Dinosaur Jr. - The Wagon

The Clientele - Bonfires on the Heath

Users who are viewing this thread

Back