The Indie Music Appreciation Thread
Jun 20, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #226 of 233
Quote:
Today is finally the US release of Sigur Ros's new, faster album Kveikur, but my local record store accidentally had a copy on display on the day of the international release almost a week ago, so I've been enjoying it to my friends' envy for awhile.

Certainly a much faster and aggressive sound coming from Sigur Ros and Jonsi, although with hints from their earlier albums. They are exploiting new territories and so far I really like it, much better than last years album, Valtari, that I personally found very disappointing. 

Jun 21, 2013 at 1:46 AM Post #227 of 233
Certainly a much faster and aggressive sound coming from Sigur Ros and Jonsi, although with hints from their earlier albums. They are exploiting new territories and so far I really like it, much better than last years album, Valtari, that I personally found very disappointing. 

I originally also disliked Valtari because it seemed to take ambience and minimalism a little too far, but I came to love it for different reasons than for other releases.

My favorites are still Agaetis Byrjun and Med Sud i Eyrum Vid Spilium Endulaust, and I doubt that the new album will usurp them. I tend to prefer Sigur Ros at their most theatrical, balancing melody with ambience. Valtari and () are too free-form (as well as Riceboy Sleeps); Takk... and Kveikur are too fast-paced (along with the pre-Kjartan Von and Jonsi's Go).

Jul 17, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #228 of 233
[size=12.727272033691406px]I hear people say all of the time that there is no good music being made anymore but I find new stuff that I love all of the time on www.earbits.com They have a ton of indie music and super obscure bands but it's all really high quality. Definitely give a try to new indie bands and you´ll enjoy it as much as I currently do. [/size]

Jul 18, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #229 of 233
My strategy involves picking bands at random from the Live Music Archive and searching directories of netlabels. I can get a bunch of really great music to test out for free that way.

Jul 19, 2013 at 1:14 AM Post #230 of 233
Jul 19, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #231 of 233
Am I the last person to know that Creed from The Office was a fictionalized depiction of himself, and was an actual member of The Grass Roots?

Sep 24, 2013 at 8:18 AM Post #233 of 233
I have been listening to Typhoon's latest "White Lighter" quite a bit lately. Fantastic in my opinion. Lyrically one of the best albums I think I have ever heard. Without sounding like a cliche it is poetry put to music. if interested it is worthwhile to read the story of the lead singer and his struggles with a life threatening bout with Lyme disease. Musically quite adventurous ranging from full blown to spare folk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back