Cayin N8ii: The Incredible DAP with ROHM DAC and fully BAL Nutube
Apr 19, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #2,971 of 5,538
Anyone like me ? Enjoying high gain and P mode ?
I enjoy all the settings and use them depending on the material. But I do find myself in standard P mode most of the time w/ high gain. Either due to class a preference or to maintain a level of sweetness to the mix. Actually, in SS timbre too. I like it more often with my single DD's. The hybrids seem to like the tubes, but then, all the rules are broken all the time. I'll make a statement that this is the best setting for this, and then the next day its the total opposite. (sigh)

That's the beauty though. Almost any circumstance can be mitigated to the best sound.
The other thing I have to give credit to Cayin for is making all the adjustment settings accessible in the drop down menu. It's so fast to find the right settings and continue enjoying.

Apr 19, 2022 at 1:20 PM Post #2,972 of 5,538
I was on L gain previously, I've moved back to H gain as most of my IEMs have DD lows. I find the extra power helps breathe a bit more heft in the low end. So far I still cannot tell a difference between class a/ab (if anyone can help me out here what I should be looking out for, please do!).

Spending more time with SS mode now as well. :)

Apr 19, 2022 at 1:37 PM Post #2,973 of 5,538
So far I still cannot tell a difference between class a/ab
I hear it as a change in resonant peaks. AB will spread the image and lose depth in the bass. It will be louder but slightly less warm and deep. AB also fills in and expands the midrange to my ears.
Switching to A moves in the goalposts and concentrates the image while warming up the trasients around the notes. Vocals have a little more natural life, are more concise, and drum hits sound like they are deeper, warmer, and little more direct. At the same time slightly diffused, with an added sprinkle of top end sparkle.

Rock/metal bands in full swing can help you hear the adjustments when switching. I didn't hear much dif between classes when spacious electronic was playing.

Apr 19, 2022 at 3:06 PM Post #2,974 of 5,538
I have tried the N8ii (twice) and, so far I'm the only one I know who was not all that wow'ed by it -- yes, it's me, all me, I admit.
How would you compare SP2K with N8ii purely in terms of SQ with both IEMs and planars?
I would love to hear it first myself but can only blind buy due to current situation.
So collecting all the feedback possible.

Apr 19, 2022 at 4:39 PM Post #2,976 of 5,538
Sorry, want is Velcro lid? Can't figure that out ....

But for the record, Cayin has ordered enough case to cover the entire N8ii product cycle already, so it is unlikely that we'll change the design because we need to forfiet our order completely. We'll try to work with other case manufactures to develop more options to our users.

The demo red one that have a Velcro flap to cover the top. Not asking you to change the design now as it is a beautiful case. Just liked the option of a top cover. Am glad to see your working with case manufactures for options as more is always better. Really digging the case as is, it's a combo of the fancy leather and smooth case that cases some to slide out. Really is a minor issue.

Apr 19, 2022 at 6:49 PM Post #2,977 of 5,538
I was on L gain previously, I've moved back to H gain as most of my IEMs have DD lows. I find the extra power helps breathe a bit more heft in the low end. So far I still cannot tell a difference between class a/ab (if anyone can help me out here what I should be looking out for, please do!).

Remind me in a week - my friend will come back from holiday so we gona have here 2 N8 units and will be able to compare as one set to Class A and the other to AB.

Apr 19, 2022 at 7:12 PM Post #2,978 of 5,538
How would you compare SP2K with N8ii purely in terms of SQ with both IEMs and planars?
I would love to hear it first myself but can only blind buy due to current situation.
So collecting all the feedback possible.
Hmm, the SP2K has no hopes of driving demanding IEMS so I don't even bother trying. By and large, it is musical and lush, for lack of a better generalising term. When I first got it -- the Cu edition, I recall it blowing everything else away on resolution, details and musicality, so impressed by the power too. How quickly things change with the power/current hungry IEMs these days. I had higher expectations of the N8ii and tested it with the Annihilator (on Venom), and I'm sorry but it just did not sound good to me -- lean, distant and neutral, even a little sterile is how I would summarise it. I was mainly on tube mode, intent to get a warmer analog sound; I do not remember the P setting though, I must have fiddled with it, don't remember. Normally, I'd have thought no more of it -- pass and forget. But friends, those of whose taste and impressions I trust, are saying such wonderful things like how they have never heard their [insert IEM name here] so good. And I believe them! I do like Cayin and the things they make and do. Maybe it was the unit and environment when I first listened to it (Canjam), or the material (both times the pre-installed music and Tidal the 2nd time too) or maybe I had unreal expectations? But I know that amping can significantly improve the sound and even on sufficiently powered DAPs, freeing it from having to power its DAC will improve its performance. And so I will revisit the N8ii with an amp I ordered that I am quite sure it would synergize with, then hopefully I'll hear what others are hearing...

[Edit: Oh and I have @Whitigir to thank for the lessons on amps, really change the way I approach putting the source together now.]

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2022 at 8:41 PM Post #2,979 of 5,538

Yes, H all the way! I also can’t hear the difference between A and AB so you’re not alone 😁

SS mode sounds too thin and flat for me. Tube all the way!

Apr 19, 2022 at 11:59 PM Post #2,980 of 5,538
Hmm, the SP2K has no hopes of driving demanding IEMS so I don't even bother trying. By and large, it is musical and lush, for lack of a better generalising term. When I first got it -- the Cu edition, I recall it blowing everything else away on resolution, details and musicality, so impressed by the power too. How quickly things change with the power/current hungry IEMs these days. I had higher expectations of the N8ii and tested it with the Annihilator (on Venom), and I'm sorry but it just did not sound good to me -- lean, distant and neutral, even a little sterile is how I would summarise it. I was mainly on tube mode, intent to get a warmer analog sound; I do not remember the P setting though, I must have fiddled with it, don't remember. Normally, I'd have thought no more of it -- pass and forget. But friends, those of whose taste and impressions I trust, are saying such wonderful things like how they have never heard their [insert IEM name here] so good. And I believe them! I do like Cayin and the things they make and do. Maybe it was the unit and environment when I first listened to it (Canjam), or the material (both times the pre-installed music and Tidal the 2nd time too) or maybe I had unreal expectations? But I know that amping can significantly improve the sound and even on sufficiently powered DAPs, freeing it from having to power its DAC will improve its performance. And so I will revisit the N8ii with an amp I ordered that I am quite sure it would synergize with, then hopefully I'll hear what others are hearing...

[Edit: Oh and I have @Whitigir to thank for the lessons on amps, really change the way I approach putting the source together now.]
There are Iems that demand more than 6v of power? Woowwww that's new for me, according to what is in the sp2000 thread translates in more than 1000 mw at 32ohms , so more than the n8ii Screenshot_20210604_104045_com.huawei.browser.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2022 at 12:21 AM Post #2,981 of 5,538
There are Iems that demand more than 6v of power? Woowwww that's new for me, according to what is in the sp2000 thread translates in more than 1000 mw at 32ohms , so more than the n8iiScreenshot_20210604_104045_com.huawei.browser.jpg
From what I have learnt, it's more than just power and resistance, currents could count for more. Also, freeing the DAP from having to power its own DAC improves performance and sound quality. There is no fooling the ear, regardless of the specs, even though we each hear things differently. I find the 300Max to be only borderline adequate to drive the DC Ti, even though on paper, it has more than enough power. That is how I hear things, anyway, ymmv...

Apr 20, 2022 at 3:15 AM Post #2,982 of 5,538

Nope. My unit had no issues driving the Obravo Ra 21 C-Cu, which is notoriously hard to drive well.
I already regret selling it.

Apr 20, 2022 at 3:36 AM Post #2,983 of 5,538
Nope. My unit had no issues driving the Obravo Ra 21 C-Cu, which is notoriously hard to drive well.
I already regret selling it.
Never listened to the Obravo before but have heard how incredibly difficult it is to drive. Are referring to the SP2K or N8ii?

Accepting what is heard is a subjective thing. Not saying you have lower expectations, certainly not with the gear you own. I'd probably not have the awareness if I hadn't experienced how the Annihilator kept scaling upwards on another rig to levels I didn't believe existed in this portable, more significantly in-ear, space, as to feeling that on something with undeniably as much power as the 300Max, the quality of sound was now to me... inadequate. And the cause of this was not the IEM, that was constant, not the DAC, though that played a considerable role, but the external amp+psu, which leads me to conclude that the power/current variable is the bane, the choke point if I may exaggerate to drive home a point, of the leading integrated DAPs today.

Apr 20, 2022 at 4:22 AM Post #2,984 of 5,538
Never listened to the Obravo before but have heard how incredibly difficult it is to drive. Are referring to the SP2K or N8ii?

Accepting what is heard is a subjective thing. Not saying you have lower expectations, certainly not with the gear you own. I'd probably not have the awareness if I hadn't experienced how the Annihilator kept scaling upwards on another rig to levels I didn't believe existed in this portable, more significantly in-ear, space, as to feeling that on something with undeniably as much power as the 300Max, the quality of sound was now to me... inadequate. And the cause of this was not the IEM, that was constant, not the DAC, though that played a considerable role, but the external amp+psu, which leads me to conclude that the power/current variable is the bane, the choke point if I may exaggerate to drive home a point, of the leading integrated DAPs today.
I have experienced the Obravo CU version. IMHO, I don't think the SP2000 can drive it or I wouldn't be happy listen to it using an SP2000. The LP6TI can drive it about 85%. I tried listening to it a few times and you really need some power into that to really appreciate how good the IEM is. My first experience was not good on it since I was using the N8 to drive it which could not do. When I heard it on the LP6TI I realized how much power was needed to put through it to make it sound that much better.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2022 at 4:41 AM Post #2,985 of 5,538
I have experienced the Obravo CU version. IMHO, I don't think the SP2000 can drive it or I wouldn't be happy listen to it using an SP2000. The LP6TI can drive it about 85%. I tried listening to it a few times and you really need some power into that to really appreciate how good the IEM is. My first experience was not good on it since I was using the N8 to drive it which could not do. When I heard it on the LP6TI I realized how much power was need to put through it to make it sound that much better.
Only 85%. Wow. The LP6, any edition, would be my bet that could drive any IEM on its own. But again, it's not about making sound come out of it, is it? At the risk of sounding like a broken record, current plays as important, if not more so, than power, and apparently, there's no way of finding out from the tech specs sheet, so say the experts. Perhaps you can consider amping your LP6 Ti; additionally, freeing it from having to power its DAC will improve performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back