Cayin N8ii: The Incredible DAP with ROHM DAC and fully BAL Nutube
Mar 23, 2022 at 3:16 AM Post #2,011 of 5,538
Definitely agree on the IE900 pairing, quite captivating... I just need medium gain myself but depending on albums and some DSD do enter that category, high gain is required.
Thanks for that David. @HiFiHawaii808 when you get a chance, please can you compare IE900 plugged into N8ii vs RS6+C9 šŸ™
If anyone has a better way of doing the break-in, I'd love to hear about it.
In the early days of the HiBy R8 there were similar heating issues with the 10000mah battery (probably the same battery Cayin is using for the N8ii). What worked for many people is to charge it while having a desktop or ceiling fan blowing in it, keeping temperatures down. You can also maybe try one of those M17 desktop stands with the fan that FiiO is hawking on the HF front page, if only for the burn-in process.

Mar 23, 2022 at 3:28 AM Post #2,012 of 5,538
Thanks for that David. @HiFiHawaii808 when you get a chance, please can you compare IE900 plugged into N8ii vs RS6+C9 šŸ™

IE900 with tubes = :hearts:

Last one before bed.

B571CFFE-EDEC-43B8-907D-28572A1B4CE4.jpeg

Mar 23, 2022 at 3:38 AM Post #2,015 of 5,538
Any new IEM I get I always try this album for female vocals. Itā€™s my favorite album of her too. I like using the track ā€œSpringā€ in the last quarter of the song to test bass as well.
The dynamic range in the opening track gets me every time. Starts off slow and soft so you're tempted to turn the volume up, then... šŸ¤Æ

Anyway, enjoy and have a good evening with Nate and Senny.

Mar 23, 2022 at 4:41 AM Post #2,017 of 5,538
Mine has had the filters modded since day one. So If DMP Z1 didnā€™t make my modded Z1R to perform but the N8II did, then it should be the same case for you or any other under the same conditions as well. Except, when you listen to my modded one, you may found it to be different than your stock one (better or worse is upto your personal preferences). Hope that makes senses
so dmp lacks what that n8 ii has?

Mar 23, 2022 at 5:37 AM Post #2,018 of 5,538
Maybe the N8ii offers too many options and causing some confusion, I noticed several users asking for the best setting to burn in N8ii, and I have received several PMs on this subject, so let me clarify this here.

The best setting to achieve maximum circuit coverage and longest duration per charging cycle is Tube+Class AB + standard P mode + Low Gain + 4.4mm phone out. If you want to burn in N8ii overnight, this is the setting that works effectively, and most likely won't trigger the high-temperature protection mechanism if you charge and burn in at the same time.

If you examine the functional diagram of N8ii, you'll notice:
  • no need to burn in solid-state and Vacumme tube timbre separately. Since the N8ii Timbre circuit is enable/disables the Nutube Timbre circuit, when you use balanced Nutube, you have used the complete analog circuit already.
  • no need to burn in P/P+ separately, they are different operation conditions of the same signal path. Standard P mode offers more hours per charge cycle, so this is the preferred setting for burn-in.
  • no need to burn in Class A/AB separately, they are different operation conditions of the same signal path, Class A will involve FOUR adjustable resistors additionally but there is very insignificant when compared to the discrete components in the amplification path.
PS.

Both Nutube and discrete components in N8ii headphone amplifier circuit require more time when compare to the regular op-amp circuit, but the "so-called" 100-hour burn-in is not a black-on-white benchmark, your N8ii still sound very sweet before the 100 hours timestamp. Unless you plan to depart with N8ii very soon, otherwise there is no need to perform burn-in like there is no tomorrow.

When I receive my N8ii, I set the maximum charging to 95% and then listen to it in day time like any other DAP. If the DAP drops below 40% before I went to bed, I'll plug in the charger, use the burn-in setting to charge it unattended overnight, and then repeated the listening process the next day (without charging). If the DAP battery is above 40%, I'll just leave it and don't charge it for the night. In addition, I might charge the N8ii during lunch hour or diner time when I need to leave the N8ii alone, please be reminded swallow charge is recommended with a Lithium battery.

I didn't count the hours exactly, but I guess my N8ii will gain 15-20 hours when I charge the N8ii unattended for one night plus all the listening in between, so I only performed 5-6 times unattended overnight charging. I set the maximum chargeback to 80% and didn't bother with burn-in ever since.

N8ii Functional Framework (Phone Out).jpg

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Mar 23, 2022 at 6:44 AM Post #2,019 of 5,538
So your solution is to drain the battery multiple times? Doesn't that eat in to "limited" number of charge cycles more then leaving it plugged in and playing? Heat issues aside of course.

If I get 10 hours of playback that means I need to do that at least 10 times to reach 100 hours.
You dont have to "burn" it in to enjoy it.

Mar 23, 2022 at 7:12 AM Post #2,020 of 5,538
So your solution is to drain the battery multiple times? Doesn't that eat in to "limited" number of charge cycles more then leaving it plugged in and playing? Heat issues aside of course.

If I get 10 hours of playback that means I need to do that at least 10 times to reach 100 hours.

Yes, that will eat into your charging cycle of the Li battery, so don't leave the N8ii unattended during 100 hours burn-in, use it, listen to it, enjoy it.

100 hour is not a black on white benchmark, your N8ii still sound very sweet before the 100 hours timestamp. Unless you plan to depart with N8ii very soon, otherwise there is no need to perform burn in like there is no tomorrow. I strongly advice N8ii users to enjoy their player as regularly as possible and perform unattended burn in during the first few evenings.

When I recevie my N8ii, I set the maximum charging to 95% and then listen to it at day time like any other DAP. If the DAP drop below 40% before I went to bed, I'll plug in the charger, use the burn-in setting to charge in unattended overnight, and then repeated the listening process the next day (without charging). If the DAP battery is above 40%, I'll just leave it and don't charge it for the night. In addition, I might charge the N8ii during lunch hour or diner time when I need to leave the N8ii alone, please be reminded swallon charge is recommended with Lithium battery. I didn't count the hours exactly, but I guess my N8ii will gain 15-20 hours when I charge the N8ii unattended for one night plus all the listening in between, so I only performed 5-6 times unattended overnight charging. I set the maximum charge back to 80% and didn't borther with burn in ever since.

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Mar 23, 2022 at 7:27 AM Post #2,021 of 5,538

My first impressions video of the N8ii (Features the M17 as well). Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

Agree with you 100% on the case problem. Itā€™s causing minor anxiety carrying it around.

Mar 23, 2022 at 8:02 AM Post #2,023 of 5,538
Yes, that will eat into your charging cycle of the Li battery, so don't leave the N8ii unattended during 100 hours burn-in, use it, listen to it, enjoy it.

100 hour is not a black on white benchmark, your N8ii still sound very sweet before the 100 hours timestamp. Unless you plan to depart with N8ii very soon, otherwise there is no need to perform burn in like there is no tomorrow. I strongly advice N8ii users to enjoy their player as regularly as possible and perform unattended burn in during the first few evenings.

When I recevie my N8ii, I set the maximum charging to 95% and then listen to it at day time like any other DAP. If the DAP drop below 40% before I went to bed, I'll plug in the charger, use the burn-in setting to charge in unattended overnight, and then repeated the listening process the next day (without charging). If the DAP battery is above 40%, I'll just leave it and don't charge it for the night. In addition, I might charge the N8ii during lunch hour or diner time when I need to leave the N8ii alone, please be reminded swallon charge is recommended with Lithium battery. I didn't count the hours exactly, but I guess my N8ii will gain 15-20 hours when I charge the N8ii unattended for one night plus all the listening in between, so I only performed 5-6 times unattended overnight charging. I set the maximum charge back to 80% and didn't borther with burn in ever since.
Iā€™m also ā€œburning inā€ as I listen to N8ii and enjoy it very much. Iā€™m not gonna do a special burn-in session as itā€™s already excellent out of the box, so Iā€™m just enjoying the music šŸ˜Š thanks again Cayin for such an amazing DAP!

Mar 23, 2022 at 8:11 AM Post #2,024 of 5,538
The case is actually good looking. However, the design, features, are making the N8ii to be warmed up by much, and staying inside the case, the evidences is that the charging will be limited as a protection mechanism. Per @Andykong explanation, 45-50c is the trigger of the protection mechanism...given that the body is about 70% effective of dissipation generated heat. Then it is explainable that by the time it reaches 37-41C, or about body temperature, the player stopped charging. Now, when you have it slipped inside the case, the body will not dissipate heat as well, the internal will easily reach 47-50C, the charging mechanism will be enabled more than often to protect the player.

My point is that, I donā€™t mind about the case, and I like the design. Give the body weight and the way you have to pointed it downward before you slip it into the pocket of bag, just because the phone plug is on the bottom, the player may easily slide out. What I do worry about is the warmth/heat generated by the N8ii. Hence, I just want to use it without the case. Now, if only that Cayin provided more than 1 screen protector glass inside the box, so people have a choice to apply on both the front/back, and use it without the case. If you must use it portably and on the go, choose the SS/AB

Mar 23, 2022 at 8:15 AM Post #2,025 of 5,538
The case is actually good looking. However, the design, features, are making the N8ii to be warmed up by much, and staying inside the case, the evidences is that the charging will be limited as a protection mechanism. Per @Andykong explanation, 45-50c is the trigger of the protection mechanism...given that the body is about 70% effective of dissipation generated heat. Then it is explainable that by the time it reaches 37-41C, or about body temperature, the player stopped charging. Now, when you have it slipped inside the case, the body will not dissipate heat as well, the internal will easily reach 47-50C, the charging mechanism will be enabled more than often to protect the player.

My point is that, I donā€™t mind about the case, and I like the design. Give the body weight and the way you have to pointed it downward before you slip it into the pocket of bag, just because the phone plug is on the bottom, the player may easily slide out. What I do worry about is the warmth/heat generated by the N8ii. Hence, I just want to use it without the case. Now, if only that Cayin provided more than 1 screen protector glass inside the box, so people have a choice to apply on both the front/back, and use it without the case. If you must use it portably and on the go, choose the SS/AB
To solve this problem just cut a bit of velcro tape and stick it on the inside of the case at the top:wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back