Cayin N8ii: The Incredible DAP with ROHM DAC and fully BAL Nutube
Mar 18, 2022 at 10:37 AM Post #1,696 of 5,543
Cozy in sweats Friday with N8ii and Shirley Horn

IMG_4490.jpeg

Mar 18, 2022 at 11:03 AM Post #1,697 of 5,543
Correct, probably something with the firmware and charging.

Class A, Vacuum Tube, Airplane mode, playback 24Bit/176.4kHz, 600ohm loading, High gain, Volume 70

Unbranded (cheap) USB charger from computer mart, support QC3.0x1, 5V2Ax2

Cayin USB cable (bundled with C9, I don't have the N8ii package and accessories)

Plug in at 23:00 (GMT+8), will run this for 1 hours, let's see what happened.

IMG_20220318_230248.jpg

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Mar 18, 2022 at 11:11 AM Post #1,698 of 5,543
All about the charger. I've got 1 out of many that support qc (old Huawei charger). Amazon to the rescue for a multiport!

Charge and play is no problem btw.

Mar 18, 2022 at 11:20 AM Post #1,699 of 5,543
N8ii gently sits on FiiO DK3 stand (it's rubber padded in case you wonder otherwise I would have kept the case)

I have grown so used on having this when I listen at my desk, so nice to have the DAP standing up and fan can cool it down a bit too

1647616715512.jpeg

Mar 18, 2022 at 11:24 AM Post #1,700 of 5,543
N8ii gently sits on FiiO DK3 stand (it's rubber padded in case you wonder otherwise I would have kept the case)

I have grown so used on having this when I listen at my desk, so nice to have the DAP standing up and fan can cool it down a bit too

1647616715512.jpeg
I think the N8ii is better appreciated and held in the palm when it is out of the case :)

Mar 18, 2022 at 11:44 AM Post #1,701 of 5,543
Most if almost all don’t come with a charger. The Ibasso Max’s only did since it had two sets of batteries to charge, otherwise all we get is a “charging” cable.
The fact that most Daps don't come with a charger doesn't mean it's the right thing to do, and just because Apple doesn't provide chargers with its phones doesn't mean everybody else should follow suit. It's inherently wrong to charge a hefty sum for a Dap and then leave some of your customers stranded not knowing whether it's the odd charger they're using that isn't charging up their Dap, or have the worrying doubt that they may be using a charger with incompatible specs and so damage their battery or circuits. It would only cost a relatively small sum to include a compatible charger with a Dap, whereas it would cost someone who damaged his battery or circuits with a cheap incompatible charger a hefty sum and a lot of hassle to fix the avoidable issue. What's wrong shouldn't be accepted as normal, in any aspect of life.

Mar 18, 2022 at 11:47 AM Post #1,702 of 5,543
There has been some concern on whether the N8ii will be boiling hot with its Class A, discrete component, vacuum tube circuit. Several N8ii users has clarified that N8ii is warmish and "pockatable". Cato, a renowned headphone reviewer in Hong Kong has conduct a quick test in his Facebook Group. He kept N8ii running under Class A Tube Mode for 30 minutes, measured the temperature of the player and recorded 41.5 degree C as shown in the photo below. For your reference, Hong Kong weather report said the city is around 25 degree C/92% humidity in the afternoon.

1647617595788.png

Last edited:

Mar 18, 2022 at 12:03 PM Post #1,704 of 5,543
There has been some concern on whether the N8ii will be boiling hot, several N8ii users has clarified that N8ii is warmish and "pockatable". Cato, a renowned headphone reviewer in Hong Kong has conduct a quick test in his Facebook Group. He kept N8ii running under Tube Mode Class A for 30 minutes, measured the temperature of the player and recorded 41.5 degree C as shown in the photo below. For your reference, Hong Kong weather report said the city is nicely chilled at around 20 degree C/92% humidity.

1647617595788.png
I think the charging randomly may has something to do with the heat.

Mar 18, 2022 at 12:06 PM Post #1,705 of 5,543
The fact that most Daps don't come with a charger doesn't mean it's the right thing to do, and just because Apple doesn't provide chargers with its phones doesn't mean everybody else should follow suit. It's inherently wrong to charge a hefty sum for a Dap and then leave some of your customers stranded not knowing whether it's the odd charger they're using that isn't charging up their Dap, or have the worrying doubt that they may be using a charger with incompatible specs and so damage their battery or circuits. It would only cost a relatively small sum to include a compatible charger with a Dap, whereas it would cost someone who damaged his battery or circuits with a cheap incompatible charger a hefty sum and a lot of hassle to fix the avoidable issue. What's wrong shouldn't be accepted as normal, in any aspect of life.

Thank you very much for your opinion. We are sorry to know that this is a deal breaker to you and our N8ii DAP is not meeting your basic requirement. We can't change the sales packaging of N8ii as all the package and accessories has been finalised. We are unlikely to change our practise in our forthcoming DAPs because of the complexity to deal with different power supply system and CE requriement when an USB charger is included.

On the bright side, we have publised our bundled accessories in our product page, so you don't have to make you purchase decision uninformed, and with the help of fellow Headfier in this thread, we know there is at least one DAP comes with USB charger, so you do have a valid option for your preference, which is a relief.

However, we are trying to be as helpful as possible to our customer. If we can solve your problem simply by providing a compatible USB charge. I am glad to send you one standard 5V2A USB Charger to you if you are going to place an order on N8ii in next 7 days. Just PM your sales invoice (from an authorized Cayin dealer) and address to me, with your preferred power connectors standard (US 2pin, Europe 2pin or UK 3pin), I'll be delighted to help a Cayin users to solve his battery charging problem.

Mar 18, 2022 at 12:09 PM Post #1,706 of 5,543
I think the charging randomly may has something to do with the heat.
I am playing and charging right now and the cooling fan of the FiiO DK3 is on just because I can use it :p
Right now it works well, I am intensively downloading stuff on Qobuz to local SD card and playing at the same time...N8ii is speedy :)

I have switched over to the 20W charger of my iPad Mini and it seems to be working fine so far.

I think the N8ii is better appreciated and held in the palm when it is out of the case :)
Well sure, this is such a high quality product it's so satisfying indeed... but when working honestly the stand is great... plugged to the desktop rig as well, so handy and you have your screen facing towards you a glance double tap and you're set

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2022 at 12:09 PM Post #1,707 of 5,543
@Andykong , would there be any reason for class A to have a greater impact on nutube than ss?

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2022 at 12:09 PM Post #1,708 of 5,543
Definitely took me by surprise, EVO and N8ii sound great together. Can’t decide on wether A tube or P AB tube yet though, which are you going with?
I have been primarily in P+, Tube, AB and will fiddle with it some more this weekend. I did listen shortly in SS and A but can’t recall how it sounded, LOL.

Mar 18, 2022 at 12:11 PM Post #1,710 of 5,543
Class A, Vacuum Tube, Airplane mode, playback 24Bit/176.4kHz, 600ohm loading, High gain, Volume 70

Unbranded (cheap) USB charger from computer mart, support QC3.0x1, 5V2Ax2

Cayin USB cable (bundled with C9, I don't have the N8ii package and accessories)

Plug in at 23:00 (GMT+8), will run this for 1 hours, let's see what happened.

I have touched the N8ii and feel it warmish temperature to confirm that the player is operated as intended. The test suggested that N8ii can charge and playback at the same time.

In addition, we can furthe analysis the data here. If we assume the unbranded USB charger are fully QC3.0 compatible, (i.e, charge the N8ii at18W), then Class A (or P+) mode setting with a demanding balanced headphone load will discharge at rougly the same rate, maybe around 17W. Base on this assuption, if you were using a standard 5V2A charger (non QC3.0 compatible) and playback your N8ii in Class A or P+ mode during charging, your N8ii will discharge faster than the standard USB charger and bump into the DAP.

IMG_20220319_001042.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back