Cayin N8ii: The Incredible DAP with ROHM DAC and fully BAL Nutube
Mar 18, 2022 at 4:46 AM Post #1,666 of 5,547
I may be missing it, but is there a way to have the charge circle light work but keep the sample rate color indicator turned off?

You can turn off sampling rate indicator from Display > Advanced, but once you turn that off, the lighting effect of the home button will be disabled. You can only visualise the battery charging status on the status bar, like any other Android device.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Mar 18, 2022 at 5:05 AM Post #1,667 of 5,547
So far, the player is sounding divine. Reserving my thoughts until more burn in time. Getting the detail of the M17 on over ear mode but great musicality and bass.

Size is definitely good enough to fit in a jean pocket. Size reference compared to an M17:

20220317_235539.jpg

20220318_000046.jpg
I remember briefly trying the M17 and the accuracy details at the top end will not be as good as the N8ii. But it has plenty of power.

Mar 18, 2022 at 5:14 AM Post #1,668 of 5,547
@Andykong, please: From various pics here I indeed see that there is no sample rate shown in the Android status bar. As this is a worthwhile piece of information, could this be switched on? Firmware update needed? Not all player software shows what they get from the audio file and what they send out. So it would be nice to see what Android has as sample rate.

When we start our UI design, the N8ii Status bar looks like this:

1647593973236.png

In action, it looks like this:

1647594133433.png

The two icons between battery and WiFi are System notification status, can't stop them for the momet, we are still working on it. When I enabled my Google Play account, install more third party applications, the Status bar will looks like this"

1647594462715.png

The small circle in the middle means there are too many status, Android "consolidates" my WiFi and BT icon into a small dot.

We even removed the P/P+ icon from the status bar in order to provide more room for all sorts of status and notifications.

...... did I answer your question already? :wink:

Last edited:

Mar 18, 2022 at 5:39 AM Post #1,669 of 5,547
You can turn off sampling rate indicator from Display > Advanced, but once you turn that off, the lighting effect of the home button will be disabled. You can only visualise the battery charging status on the status bar, like any other Android device.
I like how the n6ii has a non lit home button but pulses when charging. I’ll survive without it though. Thanks.

Mar 18, 2022 at 5:42 AM Post #1,670 of 5,547
While back now but N8BB iirc was 80+ for me till i was satisfied (or brain adjusted). Personally, I'll run this 100hrs+ in P/Tube/AB. I'm sure Andy commented earlier in the thread about the tubes needing longer so I'll use AB so the player doesn't cook with Tube/A all week. :)

Both Nutube and discrete components in N8ii headphone amplifier circuit requires more time when compare to regular op-amp circuit, 100 hours is enough for burn-in, and you don't need to burn in P/P+ or Class A/AB seperately, they are going through the same signal path.

Mar 18, 2022 at 5:48 AM Post #1,671 of 5,547
Got it in this afternoon, and so far loving it. My main complaint is that the volume wheel feels like a cheap toy one would get from the fair. Why cheap out on one of the most interacted-with components when everything else is so solid? Should've been a metal with higher resistance on turn.

One request: Can we please get an option to lock-out the volume control? When it's in my pocket, it tends to turn randomly.

Settings > Lockscreen button settings allow you to lock Volume control and Playback control seperately.

As stated in our website, the volume know is CNC-machined gold-plated Brass.

1647596890240.png

Mar 18, 2022 at 5:54 AM Post #1,672 of 5,547
I think my only inquiry is around the 3x DSD filters and their expected effect on playback - I can't discern any changes and is there an optimal setting for DSD playback?

1647596970891.png

ROHM offers threee DSD filters and they are varied by cutoff frequency. With reference to this table, 00 = DSD Low , 01= DSD Middle, 10 = DSD High.
DSD Low will cut off at 13kHz for DSD64, that is a bit low in my perception, but not a problem for DSD128 and above. My default setting DSD High.

Mar 18, 2022 at 6:04 AM Post #1,673 of 5,547
My main complaint is that the volume wheel feels like a cheap toy one would get from the fair. Why cheap out on one of the most interacted-with components when everything else is so solid?

As stated in our website, the volume know is CNC-machined gold-plated Brass.

Pure Gold look much better :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
And probably enhance sound too :yum:

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2022 at 6:48 AM Post #1,674 of 5,547
Guess what just landed?

:heart_eyes:

1647600462831.jpeg

Mar 18, 2022 at 7:55 AM Post #1,676 of 5,547
Ran 1.1 firmware update first and foremost, one quick note as I already experienced this : OTA initially didn't work, I needed to uncheck the private DNS default settings and set it to off then cleared cache. Something to know if the no network error message pops even though you're connected to WiFi. As noted by some, the relative loosness of the case means when I plug I was very careful as the N8ii slips upwards you need to keep you finger up there to prevent sliding when you plug. On the flipside you can rotate and lock the screen so that you plug on top so there is that and it's handy. Not every DAP does this (M17 does but no lock and it's annoying).

So after a first hour and a half with it well well I need time to keep cycling over my collection of IEMs and also plug it to LO to the iCAN Pro Signature but the SQ is something to behold for sure - and it's out of the box so I'll reserve judgment but anyhow this is already quite an experience!

SS/Tube difference from what I hear is more enticing even harmonics and more beautiful overtones, something N8ii does even better as Shanling M9 which was until then my favorite one on this. It sounds more natural than M9, so it does the same but only with a much more realistic portrayal. Class A/AB has different impact depending on the IEM I use it with, I need to get into making notes about this but it was also my experience when I had E01 on N6ii.

Lots of nuances... yes, I write nuance on purpose because N8ii doesn't come accross as analytic AT ALL.
It's highly detailed and resolving but the delivery is natural with both speed, bite and smoothness which is quite a feat.

It's also N8ii is very transparent :
  • to the recording : better recordings will mean heavenly SQ, those who are not so well recorded well... be warned you'll hear everything that is wrong with it for better or for worse...

• to the IEM/headphone : same here, N8ii is going to be a great review IEM => it doesn't add or remove anything and reveals the IEM for what it is... now this is where I'd be curious to know which IEM people who found N8ii analytic used. I could see how something like Odin could seem having too much upper mids energy or to much treble presence :p I know with the Elysium I get the full experience of what it stands for (but sadly I am only limited to class AB with it though, it needs P+ mid gain at 50-60 for this one, luckily tube brings a richer sounding Elysium not to the extent than Tube mode on iCAN Pro does but still quite superb). On the other hand something creamy and dreamy as Penon Legend is just as such with the N8ii only its technicalities are pushed to the max. If you find N8ii too energetic, analytical or anything share with which headphones or IEM it does come out that way, I'd be curious.

Soundstage is impressive and one thing struck me with all my IEMs, stage height is remarkable which gives me a 3D feel with a very balanced stage, depth is quite excellent too. Imaging is pinpoint precise and it makes the image easy to read so to speak, not fatiguing even with larger ensembles everything is perfectly located if the recording if good.

Compared to the M17 power house now : those two DAPs are very different. M17 has this big sound with huge headroom and is quite linear accross the range, it's not as rich sounding as N8ii and it's not as refined although M17 is detailed and resolving detail is less emphasized and N8ii sound more forward and energetic in terms of upper mids and treble presence. Don't mistake this, N8ii is not agressive but it's inherently more lively where M17 can do very energetic genres so well because of its linearity it will never be agressive even with the most agressive music or lesser recordings. Not that M17 is dull because of its note weight, size and sheer power reserve that just pops out of nowhere from 0 to a 100. It's just that N8ii has a different presentation. It's richer sounding which makes it so exciting and subtle with nuances and it's more energetic both in the mids and treble. Bass wise, the N8ii has this rich, fast bass with superb power and textures it's a real treat. It's more refined than M17 bass, but M17 is bigger sounding there with more power reserve but a bit less "snap" and speed.

I expect N8ii to get even better with burn in and believe me this one will burn in 24/7 until I don't see any more changes.
I am in for a treat and I'll have a hard time putting it down for sure :p

Noticed filter default is to slow roll off and I usually keep it that way but I'll check Sharp Roll Off as well.

Thanks again to @MusicTeck for the speedy shipping :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2022 at 7:58 AM Post #1,678 of 5,547
I am definitely trippin' !

N8ii feels like billions of colors nuances vs the usual millions of color... that's quite something it makes it so lifelike!
Listening to Fink Resurgam with Penon Volt plugged in... this is the best I have heard that track, period :heartbeat:

I don't think I need any other DAP... it could be the silver bullet I have been waiting for - for so long - I have had litterally 40 DAPs or so...

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2022 at 8:13 AM Post #1,679 of 5,547
Indigo @davidmolliere . Preferred it with max and feel like N8ii tips the top over the line, for me anyway. I think in the long run, these two together would give me a little fatigue.

Edit: Caveat, too early to really make a call due to lack of hours on N8ii.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2022 at 8:26 AM Post #1,680 of 5,547
I still have problems charging. I figured that it isn’t the slow charging that the battery drained faster. The thing is that the LED is throbbing and the battery indicates charging, but in fact it isn’t charging. I turned it off and charged it for 6 hours last night. This morning I woke up with 0% again. So I had to reboot. It is randomly charging!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back