The importance of Components?
Mar 9, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #46 of 121
recording quality shouldn't be included. you need to start with well-recorded music. otherwise, the rest is all for nothing. a high bit rate MP3 through a computer soundcard and cheap phones will probably sound much better than a 1950s live recording on an orpheus.

as for the rest, it's hard to say. an R10/meridian driven only by an rsa mustang sounded very good. the same R10 sounded better through a beta22 using a lesser source. a bal DT880 through a B52/meridian still sounded overly bright. a 650 plus bal supra using a DAC1 (a good but not exceptional source) got top honors at a meet one year. i think the HE60 coupled with the somewhat weak HEV70 sounds better than most setups costing much more. the headphone-source-amp combination is really one of those situations where the sum is greater than its parts.

Mar 9, 2009 at 7:42 PM Post #47 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A review is never a proof. Moreover, we should avoid the error of projecting our own hearing (abilities) to others. Personally I can live with the idea that some people can discern LAME CBR 320 from lossless, whereas I can't (maybe I could learn it).

BTW, what do you think the filter selectors on the Symphony are for?

If everything sounds the same because my ears are rubbish, I can accept that. I spend less money that way.

I have not tried the selectors on the Symphony so I won't make any claims about what audible difference they make.

Mar 9, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #48 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For the people who require some kind of scientific evidence to prove that something (mainly cables) does affect sound quality I have the following statement. Prove that is doesnt before you start blabbering on about how impossible it is.

It's is basically impossible to "prove" there is no difference. You've wandered into interesting philosophical territory, a place that gives headaches to philosophers, scientists, and people who don't care for either.

Generally, in any experiment including hypotheses and significance testing, you have at least two hypothesis. A) No difference exists. B). Some difference exists. You can then show evidence confirming or not confirming B. If you fail to show evidence supporting B, you say "We fail to reject A." You can't say "We accept A" or "We proved A" because you were testing B, not A, and it's basically impossible to demonstrate that A is true in all cases regardless of all factors.

Nobody is ever going to 100% prove there is no difference between cables, but to my knowledge nobody has ever provided a measurement supporting the claim there is a audible difference between cables while still adhering to the positivist version of the scientific method.

Of course, my philosophical standpoint is that you can't 100% prove anything.

Maybe one day somebody will stick a probe right into the brain and extract the signal the ears are sending to the brain. Then we can change cables and look at that signal! That should give us our answer.

Mar 9, 2009 at 9:53 PM Post #49 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by odigg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nobody is ever going to 100% prove there is no difference between cables, but to my knowledge nobody has ever provided a measurement supporting the claim there is a audible difference between cables while still adhering to the positivist version of the scientific method.

It might be relatively easy to make a "cable" that would be audibly different and reliably so, but it would cease to be a cable in the strictest sense of the word.

Mar 9, 2009 at 10:27 PM Post #50 of 121
Quote:

Below a graph with a schematic illustration of high-frequency sine waves stored on a CD -- before low-pass filtering.

http://www.visaton.de:80/bilder/andere/sinuskurven.jpg

(...)

«No problem!» is the tenor of the Nyquist apologists. Because there's the classic «reconstruction filter» designed exactly for this purpose. Indeed: After being smoothed with the classic implementation of the anti-aliasing filter, the curves have turned into immaculate sine waves.

Exactly ! These pictures are misguiding advertisements in favor of high definition players. They illustrate some internal abstract mathematical way of dealing with data, which have nothing to do with the actual sinewaves that players output.

Quote:

But now imagine a scenario with an original signal catched by the microphone exactly corresponding to the amplitude-modulated sine wave above (and below). Again the «reconstruction filter» makes a continuous sine wave out of it. Correspondingly it makes the same -- smoothing and «(time-)smearing» -- with every other form of transients in an existing signal.

Exactly. The amplitude-modulated sine wave features a lot of frequencies above the cutoff frequency, that your graphs forget (on purpose ?), called aliasing.
A proper filter removes them, and let only pass the pure sine wave, which is exactly what the ear would do if one can hear up to 22 kHz.

The "reconstruction filter" is no more, no less than a lowpass.
In order to understand how it works, it is very interesting to play with sinewave generators, spectrum analysers, and lowpass filters in a software like SoundForge.

Adding two sine waves very close in frequency produces amplitude modulation. We can see only one sine wave in the temporal representation, but two close peaks in the frequency analysis.
Filtering out the higher one removes the modulation.

Quote:

Without a classic «reconstruction filter» (but a smoother slope instead) the response looks like this:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/attach...1&d=1236602570

The measured high-frequency drop-off is the result of the amplitude modulation.

No. Amplitude modulation is caused by images of the audio band reflected above the cutoff frequency. Here is the complete frequency response (that commercials carefully stop at fc = 22050 Hz in order not to show the garbage that is above to their clients, and that is the cause of amplitude modulation) :

sincfreq.gif

Quote:

Both phenomena -- HF drop-off and amplitude modulation -- show up in every Wadia player. Filterless DACs behave exactly the same, as they also renounce any form of FR reconstruction and AM smoothing.

Yes, and I have successfully ABXed (barely) the effect of this smooth loss of treble (ABX 7/8) while I can only hear up to 15 kHz !
On the other hand, I can't ABX high resolution vs low resolution (except for the bitrate : if I crank up the volume to 110 dB, in closed headphones, I have been able to ABX the quantisation noise of a 16 bits dithered version of a 24 bits original, during the initial fade-in of the sample).

Therefore, to my ears, checked under double blind conditions, the lack of anti-alias filter causes audible distortion, while lowering the sample rate from 96 to 44.1 kHz with anti-alias does not.

In order to get a realistic idea, the "Mustang" samples available on ff123's page are very interesting : Samples for Testing Audio Codecs

They are lowpassed versions of the same sample, from 10 kHz to 19 kHz. They are extremely valuable, because they have been lowpassed using a Mathlab filter with a smooth, but short attenuation, like in ordinary DACs. We don't find this kind of filters in audio software (except maybe in resampling routines).
Therefore they keep nearly all their frequency content up the the cutoff frequency (usual audio lowpass starts the attenuation much below), while not ringing (since the filters have a smooth cosine profile instead of the brickwall, which causes very annoying ringing when it falls within the audible frequencies).
Personally, I can ABX the 13 kHz lowpassed one vs the original, but not the 14 kHz ! For this musical sample, a sample rate of 30 kHz would be enough for me (but I know that I could ABX higher cutoffs using pure sines, since I can hear them up and a bit above 15 kHz).

Quote:

To sum it up: «Reconstruction» in the term «reconstruction filter» merely addresses frequency response and completely ignores the time axis, thus impulse response. Nevertheless, some people still consider the transient corruption that comes with it inaudible -- for some reason --, a common reasoning is that the human hearing is relatively insensitive to transients, in contrast to frequency response issues. IMO this approach is quite arbitrary. A relative insensitivity -- even if it's true -- is still not the same as absolute insensitivity.

Yes, this argument is not convicing. The real reason is that if we look in the audio band, transient response is completely unaffected ! All the time smearing that occurs is exclusively contained in the band where the filter operates (20 to 22 kHz) and above. That is why it is considered as unimportant. Because it is all above the audible frequencies.

Quote:

That said, the fact that there's a sonic difference at all also means that the ringing is perfectly audible -- despite the prevalent belief that it is not among technocratic circles.

You are comparing apples and oranges here. The assumption that there is no sonic differences only applies to blind listening tests. Everyone acknowledges that some differences are heard by some people in normal listening conditions.

Mar 9, 2009 at 11:33 PM Post #51 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pio2001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Exactly ! These pictures are misguiding advertisements in favor of high definition players. They illustrate some internal abstract mathematical way of dealing with data, which have nothing to do with the actual sinewaves that players output.

Yes, it has. The amplitude modulation is preserved after smooth high-pass filtering -- with a steep final slope at the latest at 22 kHz! It only disappears from sharp filtering with a «reconstruction filter» -- by means of the introduced filter resonance. Maybe you have concentrated too much on this first «striking» graph.

See the following...

15011d1236602570-importance-components-symphony-2x-os-filter-1.jpg

...which shows the preserved amplitude modulation even after proper (although unusually smooth) low-pass filtering with a cut-off frequency around 20/21 kHz.

Quote:

Exactly. The amplitude-modulated sine wave features a lot of frequencies above the cutoff frequency, that your graphs forget (on purpose ?), called aliasing.

Since there are no frequencies above 22 kHz left, it's not aliasing in the classic sense. You're free to call it like this, but it's not caused by «forbidden» frequencies.

Quote:

A proper filter removes them, and let only pass the pure sine wave, which is exactly what the ear would do if one can hear up to 22 kHz.

A «proper» filter in your sense is one with a massive filter resonance -- that would indeed do the trick.

Quote:

Adding two sine waves very close in frequency produces amplitude modulation. We can see only one sine wave in the temporal representation, but two close peaks in the frequency analysis. Filtering out the higher one removes the modulation.

There's no «higher sine wave» in the examples. The intermodulation is the result of the sampling rate, not a foreign (higher) frequency. If anything, there's a lower frequency (the amplitude modulation), and it would be interesting to see if it shows up in the spectrum analysis.

Even if we suppose that the preserved amplitude modulation as shown in the graphs is indeed a consequence of improper high-pass filterering with present frequencies above 22.05 kHz, it doesn't change the fact of occuring time-smearing and crippeled transients in the audio band in the case of a so-called proper «reconstruction filter».

However, somehow you seem to be blind to the fact that it's indeed the filter resonance which makes for the smoothing of the amplitude modulation. Which comes at the price of time-smearing (in the audio band!).

Quote:

They are lowpassed versions of the same sample, from 10 kHz to 19 kHz. They are extremely valuable, because they have been lowpassed using a Mathlab filter with a smooth, but short attenuation, like in ordinary DACs. We don't find this kind of filters in audio software (except maybe in resampling routines).

Since you call it «smooth», it doesn't seem to be similar to a classic antialiasing filter which calls for ultimate sharpness. It's absolutely possible to create an unobtrusive low-pass filter, as MP3 encoders and the like show. Moreover testing low-pass filtered signals against low-passed filtered signals is not really adequate. Hi-rez samples and low-passed filtered versions of them would be a more plausible approach.

Quote:

Yes, this argument is not convicing. The real reason is that if we look in the audio band, transient response is completely unaffected ! All the time smearing that occurs is exclusively contained in the band where the filter operates (20 to 22 kHz) and above. That is why it is considered as unimportant. Because it is all above the audible frequencies.

That's a strange argument and contradicts fundamental electroacoustic principles. A resonance doesn't just affect the narrow band with maximum intensity, but extends quite largely to both sides. A simple, descriptive example may show you how impossible your scenario is: Let's take some 11-kHz tone bursts, let them pass a sharp 22-kHz low-pass filter. That's one octave below the filter resonance. The 11-kHz tone burst will not stop immediately, unlike it would with full bandwidth, but show significant delay of decay, with a few additional (11-kHz!) cycles before complete silence. That's in the nature of low-pass filtering: Immediate signal stop would call for full bandwidth. Now tell me that's not transient corruption and time-smearing!
tongue_smile.gif

Quote:

You are comparing apples and oranges here. The assumption that there is no sonic differences only applies to blind listening tests. Everyone acknowledges that some differences are heard by some people in normal listening conditions.

So your orange world view dictates you that my listening impressions aren't trustworthy beforehand -- and the filter variants are there to fool the customers...

Mar 10, 2009 at 2:02 AM Post #52 of 121
Maybe the case should be made for a tiered system when speaking about the important of components.

Statistically, I imagine hearing follows the normal distribution. From my own tests (i.e. Klippel Distortion Test), I have little reason to believe my hearing is anything beyond very slightly above average. For the sake of argument let's say my p-value on the normal distribution would be .5. Let me also state I cannot ABX 320 kbps MP3s, even on "good" equipment.

Let's assume, and it's a huge assumption for me, there is some audible sonic difference between decently engineered equipment (not including transducers). Personally, in my own tests, I cannot hear these differences.

With this I make the claim that others with similar hearing ability (same p-value) cannot hear the differences. If I follow this logic with the normal distribution, at least 50% of the population cannot hear the differences either because they have hearing that is the same or worse than mine.

So what's the point of recommending expensive equipment to people like me? We can't hear the difference.

Now, if somebody could ABX 320kbps MP3s, maybe they should get recommendations that are useless for somebody like me.

If such a tiered system existed on Head-Fi, people would be able to make more intelligent purchasing decisions. The way it is now, even people at the left end of the normal curve get suggestions to destroy their wallet.

Another point on the Corda Symphony. Again, I haven't heard it so I cannot make a claim. But there is enough junk in the audiophile world that the existence of something (such as a filter selector) is hardly representative of it's actual value or an automatically positive evaluation of what is going on in the actual design of that product/feature.

I'm absolutely not accusing Meier Audio of anything. Again, I know nothing about the Symphony. I'm just being skeptical.

Mar 10, 2009 at 2:03 AM Post #53 of 121
Pio...

Here's a graph to your liking.
evil_smiley.gif

attachment.php

The Symphony's filter No.3 with 2x oversampling is heavily infected by illegal frequencies -- and this officially (rubber-stamped by Dr. J. Meier). Note the filter slope exceeding the 20-kHz mark!

Mar 10, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #54 of 121
Quote:

...I'm absolutely not accusing Meier Audio of anything. Again, I know nothing about the Symphony. I'm just being skeptical.

No worries -- your standpoint is absolutely understandable and acceptable!
smile.gif

Mar 10, 2009 at 11:39 AM Post #55 of 121
Very interesting discussion.
I think that I am right, but I'll have to experiment with real samples in order to adress your points. It'll take a bit of time.

Maybe someone could split this discussion from the thread, since we are now off-topic and we may discuss further this subject.

Mar 10, 2009 at 12:10 PM Post #56 of 121
Quote:

Prove that is doesnt before you start blabbering on about how impossible it is.

ABX testing has already proven that long ago. Do I really need to dig up articles on this subject for you too?

Mar 10, 2009 at 12:11 PM Post #57 of 121
Quote:

No worries -- your standpoint is absolutely understandable and acceptable!
smile.gif

I read in the amp forum that the DAC on your Meier amp is having some issues. Have you read about it?

Mar 10, 2009 at 12:39 PM Post #58 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ABX testing has already proven that long ago. Do I really need to dig up articles on this subject for you too?

Yes, dig them up so we can shoot them down.

Mar 10, 2009 at 1:18 PM Post #59 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm just being pedantic, but ABX testing has provided a large amount of evidence supporting the claim that cables make them no audible difference. It has not proved there is no audible difference because by stating "proved there is no difference" you have stated a claim that violates the important scientific idea of fallibility.

Quote:

Yes, dig them up so we can shoot them down.

Is there any point in doing so? You've already established you don't believe in blind testing. Would a couple of papers on the subject make you change your mind?

Where is thread going again?

Mar 10, 2009 at 2:06 PM Post #60 of 121
Quote:

I'm just being pedantic, but ABX testing has provided a large amount of evidence supporting the claim that cables make them no audible difference. It has not proved there is no audible difference because by stating "proved there is no difference" you have stated a claim that violates the important scientific idea of fallibility.

Is there any point in doing so? You've already established you don't believe in blind testing. Would a couple of papers on the subject make you change your mind?

Where is thread going again?

I think if you go back a few posts that you will see that I didnt bring it up. Right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back