The Ikea Lack-Rack thread
Sep 14, 2008 at 6:40 PM Post #46 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberspyder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's my project for the next several months (Cheaper than the Lack tables and more satisfying IMO, plus it looks better
wink.gif
):

Brendan

I built something similar out of MDF and it cost me over $100.00.

If cheap is what you want - go for the lack racks.

Sep 14, 2008 at 6:42 PM Post #47 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The one I saw in the store was very solid, more so than the lack tables.

I guess it depends on who puts it together.
tongue_smile.gif

Use a lot of glue.
regular_smile .gif

Dec 15, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #50 of 50
I just got back from Ikea and I purchased 3 of their Lack tables to make a nice budget audio stand. These have been mentioned many times before, but an official thread really doesn't exist, so I figured I'd make one to be used as a simple How-To guide and a reference for others seeking a low budget audio rack.

The Lack tables are incredible inexpensive, and I paid $41.69 for three. It's a fairly sturdy table, especially for the price. In the future I also plan on using some smaller carpet spikes or rubber feet to keep them from sliding, but at the moment the funds aren't available for them (I'm sort of in the middle of moving to Houston).

I won't be able to have pictures up tonight, but I'm going to hack 5 inches off each leg. My components aren't very tall, and by my calulations this will still leave 10 inches of clearance between the tables. For my equipment, that's plenty of room, since my tallest component (my amp on Vibrapods) stands a hair over 5 inches.

I'll update this thread as I progress, and will definately include pictures when I can get ahold of my digital camera again
tongue.gif

Edit: Here's a picture of the finished product! I ended up only taking off 5 inches, and I'm glad I did. I've got plenty of room for future upgrade
IMG_0886.JPG
To be honest,here in the UK many High end HiFi users love these tables,made famous by there use with Linn turntables.There are many Audionote and other top valve amplifierusers,love them.Many hi fi furniture makers have tried to copy them but just can’t replicate the sound.So you are not making a budget rack but a piece of audiophile history,if it’s good enough for a top end Audionote costing £80,000,it might be good enough for you😀
To

Users who are viewing this thread

Back