The Ikea Lack-Rack thread
May 25, 2006 at 11:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

Thaddy

Headphoneus Supremus
I just got back from Ikea and I purchased 3 of their Lack tables to make a nice budget audio stand. These have been mentioned many times before, but an official thread really doesn't exist, so I figured I'd make one to be used as a simple How-To guide and a reference for others seeking a low budget audio rack.

The Lack tables are incredible inexpensive, and I paid $41.69 for three. It's a fairly sturdy table, especially for the price. In the future I also plan on using some smaller carpet spikes or rubber feet to keep them from sliding, but at the moment the funds aren't available for them (I'm sort of in the middle of moving to Houston).

I won't be able to have pictures up tonight, but I'm going to hack 5 inches off each leg. My components aren't very tall, and by my calulations this will still leave 10 inches of clearance between the tables. For my equipment, that's plenty of room, since my tallest component (my amp on Vibrapods) stands a hair over 5 inches.

I'll update this thread as I progress, and will definately include pictures when I can get ahold of my digital camera again
tongue.gif

Edit: Here's a picture of the finished product! I ended up only taking off 5 inches, and I'm glad I did. I've got plenty of room for future upgrades.

IMG_0886.JPG

May 26, 2006 at 1:08 AM Post #4 of 50
Nice idea guys...i am in the middle of building my own rack too...i am basing it off of a rack i saw on the Virtual Systems page of Audiogon:

5 Maple cutting boards...18" x 24" x 1 1/2"...using 3/4 treaded rod and zinc plated hardware to make each shelf independently adjustable. it is going to be more along the looks of a coffee table then a tower...about 3' high...I'll post some pics here in a week or two...waiting for the shelves to come it.

total expense is about $250 (including cherry stain to match speakers)!

May 26, 2006 at 1:20 AM Post #5 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy
Do something like this....

image removed

That's the idea! But mine won't be quite the same. I just got done cutting the legs, and I'm assembling the tables now. I cut 5 inches off of all the legs (unfortunately mine are hollow
mad.gif
) and will just be stacking the 3 tables on top of each other. I'm sure some day I'll add another table-top for my power conditioner on the bottom.

May 26, 2006 at 1:35 AM Post #6 of 50
i've been thinking of using the same layout with the double width coffee table version, dlp tv on top, sources and headphone amp on middle shelf, power amps on the lower level. but i need to double check load ratings first.

is there a definative answer to the hollow vs honeycomb core situation? could all the tables be hollow now?
confused.gif

Thaddy what finish did you buy?

May 26, 2006 at 1:46 AM Post #7 of 50
I got the Birch, and the legs are definately hollow, except for ~2 inches on either end of the legs.

To keep them from sliding around, I'm cutting some 2mm thick foam to the exact shape of the legs footprint. I just set the table on top to get a nice impression, then cut out the shape using some sharp fabric scissors. It seems to be working well so far.

May 26, 2006 at 2:28 AM Post #9 of 50
Well, I'm finished with the rack now, and I think it turned out ok. I mean hell, for $40 you can't go wrong...

I also ended up finding my camera here at home, so if I can dig up the software I'll post some pictures tonight. It's a good thing my parents let me make room next to the couch downstairs to set it up
tongue.gif

May 26, 2006 at 2:51 AM Post #11 of 50
this is the coffee table version, ideally id like to use 3. the base having no legs and then the first level tall enough to allow ventilation for monoblocks. edit: im doubting that will hold a 70lb tv actually

1108322802.jpg

May 26, 2006 at 2:59 AM Post #12 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher
Can't wait to see the Millett displayed properly
smily_headphones1.gif

When is the big move?

I updated my first post with a picture.

[size=xx-small]Nate, I'll be leaving the 'Burgh on June 25th
tongue.gif
[/size]

Edit: Euclid, I'm sure it would hold the TV if you added two more legs (not needed from the bottom table) and put them in the middle.

May 26, 2006 at 5:09 AM Post #13 of 50
jonlsystem19er.jpg

This is my two-tier coffee-table Lack version. I have spikes under the feet and under the bottom shelf.

For my speaker setup, the Lack rack actually sounds better than most racks/isolation devices I've tried, but for headphone setups where speaker/room vibrations are a non-issue, it doesn't make much difference in sound quality.

May 26, 2006 at 6:06 AM Post #14 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by euclid
this is the coffee table version, ideally id like to use 3. the base having no legs and then the first level tall enough to allow ventilation for monoblocks. edit: im doubting that will hold a 70lb tv actually

1108322802.jpg

That's nice, too bad there's no Ikea here
frown.gif
. Do you know if they ship? All the places charge so much for shipping to Hawaii that I decided when I finally buy a new rack, I'm probably just going to go all out and buy a Lovan.

May 26, 2006 at 9:59 AM Post #15 of 50
Nice tables and solutions guys!

I also had an IKEA table some years ago for the speaker system, but since a couple of years I have a three-column rack of own design, construction and make. The columns are 80mm, thin-walled SS tubes, filled with sand. To be honest, the sound did not improve as much as when I moved the equipment from a book case to the IKEA table. It looks nicer though.
eggosmile.gif

Can anybody report changes in the sound from their equipment when placed on these tables?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back