The iGrados?
Apr 20, 2007 at 3:07 AM Post #16 of 33
I don't know if the igrado uses the same drivers as the sr-60, but if they do, then they surely don't sound anywhere remotely similar. The sr-60 is a good value at $69 if you're a rock fan. The igrado sounds like dogfart. All you hear is boom, boom and more boom. There's no transparency, certainly no highs. The px100, ksc35, ksc75 stomps all over the igrado.

I have recommended cans that i don't like, e.g. sr225, k701, dt880 because they are quality after all. But igrado is just crap. It doesn't have the characteristic "grado sound".

Apr 20, 2007 at 8:44 AM Post #19 of 33
unfortunately igrados take some coaxing to sound their best. i've modified a few pairs by recabling and quarter modding the foam. the results are a warmer sr60 that are every bit as fun to listen to and also convey the grado emotion. it's just too bad that they're so uncomfortable. i wasn't able to enjoy them because my ears got tender too quickly.

Apr 20, 2007 at 2:04 PM Post #21 of 33
cut a hole in the earpads using a sharp knife and a coin...start with a small coin and test it. if you still don't like the sound, then use a larger coin. the purpose is to release the mids and highs.

Apr 20, 2007 at 6:10 PM Post #23 of 33
You have to go through the back way

1. Use a push pin or thumbtack to pull out the little screw cover where the headband attaches to the driver case. (the black cover...not the chrome one)

2. Use a small phllips screwdriver and remove each screw that holds the driver casing to the headband.

3. Take off the pad and carefully pop off the driver cover (I GENTLY used a flathead screwdriver for this)....you'll see 4 small hook thingys that hold the driver cup together.

4. Remove the driver....you'll see the pads. Each pad is held on by a small bead of glue. Remove each pad carefully...if you find that the sound is too bright you can always replace the pad with a drop or two of glue.

5. Reassemble the driver and headband. Make sure you get the wires as straight as possible before you do this.

It think it took me 10-20 minutes. I really liked the results and have had no urge to replace the pads. Hope this helps.

Apr 20, 2007 at 7:07 PM Post #24 of 33
As someone who's not a Grado fan but who has tried many Grado/Allesandro models I must say I just don't understand the iGrado criticisms--they're not quite the same beasts as the sr60 and sr80 put I'd say they are equally enjoyable--groovy and effortless without being harsh (a criticism I'd say applies to every other Grado I've heard excepting maybe the sr60 if you're using comfy pads on it). The iGrado is one Grado that I like--mostly because it is exciting without being harsh.

I just sold my MS2i and I'm about to put my sr325i up for sale but I don't think my iGrados will be going anywhere.
tongue.gif

Apr 20, 2007 at 8:05 PM Post #25 of 33
The main problem with iGrado is they were made cheaply, maybe too cheaply. The headband was initially really really uncomfortable, pinching my ears pretty bad, it became unbearable after 30 minutes. Took a lot of plastic trimming to make it acceptably comfortable. They really should have used a better headband design to start with.

The mods been done to mine:
*openning in the front foam cover (similar to the quarter mod). The stock iGrado without this mod do sound muffled.
*Taking out the foam pads behind the drivers. Not sure if it made the phones more airy, but if you read my last post in this thread, you should understand why I did that.
* Recabling. I didn't use any audiophile grade cables, just recabled to a thicker, longer, more robust cable. I used the cable from my Sony CDV-180, which, internally(copper strands) is similar to the stock iGrado cable, maybe just a hair thicker (not sure), but the thicker outter skin/insulation/protection makes the Sony cable about twice as thick externally. Electrically the Sony cable is probably not of any higher grade, then why would I want to recable to that? well I use the iGrado for my guitar amp, I really do Need longer and more robust cables, the stock cable is too fragile for guitar use...

I'd say my iGrado, with the quarter mod done, have sound quality comparable to my sportapros. That is if sporta perform normally. Sportapro sometime have resonate noise when playing certain music, probably due to the cheap housing. Yes, I have noticed that quite a few times. iGrado's don't have that problem, but the sound is more flat (or you can call it smoother?), more lay-back, and, to my ears, less fun than the Koss.

Still, they are not bad phones for the price.

Apr 20, 2007 at 8:16 PM Post #26 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrookR1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You have to go through the back way

1. Use a push pin or thumbtack to pull out the little screw cover where the headband attaches to the driver case. (the black cover...not the chrome one)

2. Use a small phllips screwdriver and remove each screw that holds the driver casing to the headband.

3. Take off the pad and carefully pop off the driver cover (I GENTLY used a flathead screwdriver for this)....you'll see 4 small hook thingys that hold the driver cup together.

4. Remove the driver....you'll see the pads. Each pad is held on by a small bead of glue. Remove each pad carefully...if you find that the sound is too bright you can always replace the pad with a drop or two of glue.

5. Reassemble the driver and headband. Make sure you get the wires as straight as possible before you do this.

It think it took me 10-20 minutes. I really liked the results and have had no urge to replace the pads. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the procedure.

I tried, but i cant manage to pop off the 4 clips holding the driver.
frown.gif

Apr 20, 2007 at 8:35 PM Post #27 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrickhat2001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As someone who's not a Grado fan but who has tried many Grado/Allesandro models I must say I just don't understand the iGrado criticisms--they're not quite the same beasts as the sr60 and sr80 put I'd say they are equally enjoyable--groovy and effortless without being harsh (a criticism I'd say applies to every other Grado I've heard excepting maybe the sr60 if you're using comfy pads on it). The iGrado is one Grado that I like--mostly because it is exciting without being harsh.

I just sold my MS2i and I'm about to put my sr325i up for sale but I don't think my iGrados will be going anywhere.
tongue.gif

i think the problem is that people were expecting them to be a cheaper, more portable version of the sr60. i don't think grado had ever marketed them that way though. when they didn't sound exactly like the sr60, that's when people became disappointed.

i had also found them to be very musical without being harsh, the only grado that i can think of that isn't harsh in the upper registers. personally, i like bright headphones but imo grados can become grating when driven by a solid state amp. the igrados don't have that harshness when driven by a solid state amp.

Apr 20, 2007 at 8:35 PM Post #28 of 33
Just work at it some more. You have to push in the tab while pulling out on the outer lip of the housing. A small flathead screwdriver helps with this (place it between the tab and the lip while pulling out)...don't be afraid to use a little force. Once you have one separated, move to the next....do this with all four tabs.

Apr 20, 2007 at 8:51 PM Post #29 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioCats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The main problem with iGrado is they were made cheaply, maybe too cheaply. The headband was initially really really uncomfortable, pinching my ears pretty bad, it became unbearable after 30 minutes. Took a lot of plastic trimming to make it acceptably comfortable. They really should have used a better headband design to start with.

and other grados aren't cheaply made either?
confused.gif

comfort was one of the main reasons why i ended up selling my igrados. having modded a few for fellow head-fiers and spending an amount of time with them again has made me want to purchase another pair regardless of comfort.

May 17, 2007 at 12:11 AM Post #30 of 33
See the thread igrado mods for pics.

I find my iGrados fit very well and for me are comfortable. In fact i'm typing this post while listening to my iGrados. I wouldn't take them running or cycling, mainly because of the weight, but for walking and general listening they are great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back