The iGrados?
Apr 18, 2007 at 6:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Lpe_91

Head-Fier
Does anyone know anything about the iGrados? I read about them now and apparently they have the same drivers as the SR60's but are they near the SR60 sound? They are pretty cheap here in sweden, I don't know the exact dollar price but I guess they are around 50-60$ (500 kr) and I think thats pretty cheap. So, are they good or crap?

Apr 18, 2007 at 7:16 PM Post #2 of 33
They are a good, cheap representation of the grado sound. If you use the "search" button on the headphone forums, you will be able to read all kinds of reviews and impressions on them. Welcome to head-fi!

Apr 18, 2007 at 8:16 PM Post #3 of 33
They use SR-60 drivers, and sound pretty good for their price. If portability is a major concern, then I'd say these phones are definitely the ones to get.

EDIT: Someone below brought up a good point; the headband on the iGrado is fixed, so if your head is too big or small, they won't fit properly.

Apr 18, 2007 at 8:17 PM Post #4 of 33
Hej och välkommen!

And sorry about your wallet... (standard hälsningsfras)

Since RedLeader already said all that I know about the iGrados I wont dig any deeper into that. Try using the search function and you'll find lots of info on them.

And since I'm guessing you're going to use them with a portable source, I think the iGrados is the better choice. SR60 is quite large and the cord is too long for using portably (ca. 2m.). At least thats what I think of my pair.

By the way, the cheapest place I've found to by the SR60s is dustinhome.com, although for that price I'd definitely look into the Alessandro Ms-1. But still, for portable use go for the iGrados.

Lycka till!

Skicka gärna ett PM(Private Message) om du har några andra frågor, så ska jag se om jag inte kan hjälpa dig svara på dom
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Apr 18, 2007 at 9:10 PM Post #5 of 33
The swedes gathers! Welcome! I tried the iGrados once at Tonläget i Göteborg, I thought they sounded good, but they didn't fit at all, it would be good if you could test, I don't think you can adjust the headband so much.

Personaly I think you should try koss ksc 75, from what I remember they sounded quite like each other, you can read my thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=236188 read cooters post. you can buy them on CDON.COM for 200kr, I allmost wonder why I have my HD650 when these sounds so good
blink.gif

BTW they are better than PortaPro, with not as much and better controled bass and brighter in the trebble.

Apr 18, 2007 at 9:30 PM Post #7 of 33
I have a pair of iGrado's. They sound alright.

I would not recommand them though. The quality/execution is not that good. I don't know how good or bad the SR-60's are, but the iGrado quality makes me intend to think the Grado fame is overly hyped.

I understand everybody has different ears, what sounds mediocre to me might be the greatest sound to you. But now get this: the foam pads inside the housing (under the grill) have different density, I mean the left pad is about twice as dense as the right side one. Thickness is about the same, just much more dense material. Why is Grado doing this? I have two guesses:

1) their pad supply quality is inconsistant, and Grado didn't notice this very obvious difference in pad property when they install them into the iGrado's. Or maybe they just don't care. That would say something about the iGrado quality control wouldn't it?
blink.gif

2) Or they did it intensionally, why? to force the left side sound slightly louder I would guess. If the left/right drivers sensitivity are not selected to match each other, then by using different density backing you can force match the L/R to sound "about as loud", so the sound image can be centered. Still, non-matching drivers makes, well, non-matching phones. You can force center the sound image, but that different backing also yield different frequency response to the L/R phones. Makes me suspect Grado could be making iGrado's using leftover sub-standard drivers after they selected all the "matching sets" for the SR-60. If this is true, then the iGrado's are intended to have much lesser quality than the SR. If this is true.

Anyway, from this observation of mine, I'd say if you want the real Grado quality, pay more and get the SR.

I am ok with my iGrado though, I took both foam pads out and use iGrado as my guitar phones (my guitar amp is mono anyways)
wink.gif

Apr 19, 2007 at 12:51 AM Post #8 of 33
I prefer the iGrados over the PX100s and KSC75s, but only when modded (nickel mod plus foam inserts removed). I didn't have the foam insert problem that audiocat had. Both sides were with the lower density foam. Initially they can be uncomfortable, but with time they get much better. I think these are the most underrated portable headphone on the market.

The bass is much tighter than the KSC75s and the mids blow away the PX100s. Detail is about the same as the KSC75, but the KSCs sound a little thin...not as lush. But, the PX100s are definitely the most comfortable.

Apr 19, 2007 at 1:54 AM Post #9 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrookR1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I prefer the iGrados over the PX100s and KSC75s, but only when modded (nickel mod plus foam inserts removed). I didn't have the foam insert problem that audiocat had. Both sides were with the lower density foam. Initially they can be uncomfortable, but with time they get much better. I think these are the most underrated portable headphone on the market.

The bass is much tighter than the KSC75s and the mids blow away the PX100s. Detail is about the same as the KSC75, but the KSCs sound a little thin...not as lush. But, the PX100s are definitely the most comfortable.

x2 - I have the above mentioned headphones and would have written the same thing, but no need now.

Apr 19, 2007 at 9:54 AM Post #11 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gurra1980 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
T
BTW they are better than PortaPro, with not as much and better controled bass and brighter in the trebble.

Well, they are better if you prefer less bass and brighter treble
smily_headphones1.gif
. I prefer the portapros, although I frequently have a pair of ksc75 in my pocket.

The lack of lifetime warranty outside north america is a shame.

Apr 19, 2007 at 11:00 AM Post #12 of 33
it's the neckbnad design that get's me. i've yet to try a paur of neckband headphones that i can wear for more than 10 minutes.

i know grado's aren't going to win the "comfort of the year" award, but any bad news on the comfort?

i've tried them quickly, but i'm not convinced enough to buy them. anyway i use my Senn HD25 for portable use.

Apr 19, 2007 at 11:53 AM Post #13 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by carlosgp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, they are better if you prefer less bass and brighter treble
smily_headphones1.gif
. I prefer the portapros, although I frequently have a pair of ksc75 in my pocket.

The lack of lifetime warranty outside north america is a shame.

The ksc75 is clearer and brings out a more detail both in bass and trebble, and are more airy, voices and acoustic intruments sounds more real, yes there is more bass in PortaPro, but it is not just more, it is less controled and not as fast as ksc75, I think ksc sounds alot like the 595 but with more bass and little more trebble, not as controled. The lovely V, no need for EQ here
eggosmile.gif

This is to my ears and yes my ears says that they are better
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 19, 2007 at 3:57 PM Post #14 of 33
OK, this has given me a little brighter image to the iGrados. I think I might buy them in the future, if I can find somewhere where I can test them first, that problem with the fit of the neckband concerns me a bit because I havent tested any neckband phones before (!) and am unsure if I like it. But looking on the critics you gave it, it looks like they might be mine sometime. I have the PortaPro, and I like them perfectly, I just think it's time to try something new. BTW, is there any swede that knows some place in Eskilstuna where I can try (and possibly buy) the iGrados (and other cans)?

Apr 20, 2007 at 1:29 AM Post #15 of 33
I directly compared the iGrado with my SR-80 - it was very disappointing. the highs are pretty much gone, they sound quite muffled in comparison. the iGrados probably still are one of the best street style headphones - but the price is a big drawback. here in switzerland, they cost 130 CHF (~100 us$). the koss portapro sound very similar (except that they are very bass-heavy, almost to extreme for me). but they cost only about 40$ here.

I would _definitely_ go for the sr60. the sr60 up to the rs1 sound quite similar (someone will probably hit me for that statement. but the overall sound is the same, it just gets more and more refined). the iGrados sound like different headphones - like many other headphones on the market, but not really like grados.

just my two cents
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back