The iBasso T4, tinier than the T2 and better . . with more new images page 1,5, 14 . .
Mar 30, 2009 at 4:06 PM Post #526 of 733
I do not know if it has been discussed before?

We have had a discussion on the danish head-fi forum if the amp in D10 is the same (or much alike) the T4 ? Does anyone know?

Mar 30, 2009 at 9:09 PM Post #529 of 733
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just FYI - my T4's volume pot is fine, no imbalance or crackling at any level.

x2!

Apr 2, 2009 at 2:31 PM Post #533 of 733
Should be getting this in today, unless stupid ass DHL screws up my shipping again.
angry_face.gif
(see my post at ibasso forum for details).

Just a simple question, I know this is meant to be an IEM amp, but I'm sure it'll drive my D1001, SR60, and SQ5 well also... but for more mid/high tier cans like D2000 and K701, will these suffice? I've heard that D2000 is picky with amps and read here that K701 could be driven to reasonable levels but I'm still not sure how good it would be overall... I ask of course since I'll probably get one of those cans as my next upgrade.

Apr 2, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #534 of 733
I actually thought the T4 drove the K702 better than the D2000. You just have to try the phones and see what you think. I only use it with my IEM, because it is paired with my Nano and I don't carry full size phones with me.

Apr 2, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #535 of 733
Oh, I see. Good to know it'll drive the K70x series. Since I have the D1001 I've been considering K701 more since I'm kinda hungry for accuracy rather than bassy. I've been wondering since I'm more of an IEM guy but slowly gaining interest for fullsize cans, so it would be great (and cost saving) if this amp can sufficiently power the mid-tier cans. I probably won't go any higher than that level, but of course that's what I'm saying now...
very_evil_smiley.gif
we'll see in couple months, hehe.

Seems like my T4's finally arrived today so I'll sum up a review with all the headphones I have at the moment (sans SE530's which I sent in to get custom tipped, and my SF5pros on loan).

Apr 2, 2009 at 11:36 PM Post #536 of 733
Okay, here are initial impressions... obviously the amp is not burned in yet but from what I've heard so far it's going to end up amazing as it's already sounding excellent to me at the moment.

Initial thought as I removed the box was that this thing is INDEED tiny. If I hadn't gone for E3 before this then I would have been really floored, but these are still extremely small, size of a pocket lighter. I'm liking the looks and the finish (I got the "silver" version which leaves me with chromish-seethrough material on one side), though it obviously looks scratch prone... time to invest in some bestskinsever DIY skins! Their "manual" is honestly pathetic and is an obvious print out from some cheapo inkjet printer, but who cares about the manual, right?
wink.gif
I also like how they included the plether case, not so much because I'm going to use it for the amp, but I'm probably gonna use it for my S639 as the size is about perfect for it.

Here are initial rundowns with all my headphones, all on low gain and no bass boost, on my first gen Ipod Touch HP out (I know, I know, I'll get an LOD soon
biggrin.gif
)... gonna have to try it with S639 later as it has to be charged.

KSC75: The first one I tried, and this amp made the sound VERY natural to my ears. KSC75's are typically known to be fun, but this amp added some more transparency and smoothed things out, making these sound very very balanced. Different from how E3 made them more fun but more artificial sounding. Thumbs up here.

D1001: One positive was that T4 seemed to make the D1001's infamous bass less "flabby" and made it a bit more tight and refined. It also brought out the midrange a tad more. However, it also sounded like it cut out the highs a bit. Kinda on the fence on this combination as of now.

PK2: I initially thought these would probably benefit the most, but to my dismay, it actually showed the least. It adds bit of refinement and bass, but sounds practically unchanged to me otherwise, with maybe some loss in top highs. E3 I felt went better with it. Meh.

Marshmallows (Kramer modded): Not bad. Smoothed out the harsh highs and again made the bass less flabby and brought out bit more mid-highs. Better than E3 combo at least, which is a bass-fest.

KTX1pro: Did similar things as it did to KSC75, but with more loss on highs I felt, with bit of muddiness in bass. Seriously need to quarter mod these to bring out some more highs.

Grado SR60: Pretty good. Made it less bright and more warm which is good because I haven't been using them lately because of their over-brightness. Definitely adds much needed bass.

PX100: Brought out the mids a bit, other than that I didn't notice a whole lot. I also happen to not like these too much, so I may be biased.

SQ5: If anyone's heard the SQ5 you'll know that it has next to no bass. Well, the T4 does help immensely in this regard. The already-good mids improves further and so does the soundstage. Highs, which I found sometimes harsh as stock, smoothed out also.

Super fi 4: I got these recently as my "hold over" IEM's while my 530's are getting custom sleeved and SF5pros being lent out.... and I was almost 100% sure that I was going to return these when I get the 530's back due to their "averge-ness". Well, I'm not so sure anymore, because to my ears these benefitted the most from T4. The soundstage benefits greatly, and beats even the 530 soundstage which are supposed to be ok for IEM standards. I know SF5 version 2 is known for its soundstage and I'm sure this is how it is like. Also focused and brought out the mids, which was slightly veiled and all over the place before. Highs are still somewhat rolled off, but pleasant in a Shure kinda way. Only negative is that these hiss the most out of all the ones I tried, but its not noticeable once the music is on. And since this is Itouch 1st gen HP out we're talking about here, it's bound to be better with a LOD.

NC732: What, what's an Active NC can doing here, get out, you're saying? xD Well, I really wanted to try this as without the NC module on, these are VERY VERY hard to drive, I reckon probably almost as hard as higher tier stuff like K701 or HD650. And one of the positives for these cans SQ wise is supposed to be it having next to no distortion even at high levels. Well, so for this one I put the High gain on, boosted the volume dial up to 6, and it drove it to acceptable levels... and the sound is excellent. Excellent bass, more mids than ever before and very good soundstage. These definitely sounded better amped by T4 than the D1001, go figure. I would actually say this amped sounds better than D1001 stock (yes, it's true).

EX082: Helped with mids, may have added bit too much to the bass. Highs still rolled off. Meh.

Well, that's all for now. I'll add more as I get my 530's and SF5Pros back. Overall, I'm very pleased with the purchase and give thumbs up to ibasso, except for their choice of DHL as courier.

Apr 3, 2009 at 12:12 AM Post #537 of 733
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

D1001: One positive was that T4 seemed to make the D1001's infamous bass less "flabby" and made it a bit more tight and refined. It also brought out the midrange a tad more. However, it also sounded like it cut out the highs a bit. Kinda on the fence on this combination as of now.

SQ5: If anyone's heard the SQ5 you'll know that it has next to no bass. Well, the T4 does help immensely in this regard. The already-good mids improves further and so does the soundstage. Highs, which I found sometimes harsh as stock, smoothed out also.

Both of those cans will respond to a re-cable, and you should get much better highs with the D1001 with a nicer cable. I also heard the SQ5 with an ALO SXC cable and while it was still not as good as my re-cabled internally dampened A900, they were still decent (still sounded like a closed can).

Apr 3, 2009 at 4:05 PM Post #538 of 733
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Both of those cans will respond to a re-cable, and you should get much better highs with the D1001 with a nicer cable. I also heard the SQ5 with an ALO SXC cable and while it was still not as good as my re-cabled internally dampened A900, they were still decent (still sounded like a closed can).

I would definitely consider that, especially for the D1001s. SQ5 don't get that much playing time for me as of now since 1) It was a gift that I didn't really expect (my sister got it for me on her trip to Japan) and 2) I got many other 'phones that do mids (its main strength IMO) well yet do other ranges better, like the SE530's and Grados. Would definitely like to improve it though, especially if it can become close to the level of AD700/900 etc. D1001 gets a lot of time from me so I would definitely appreciate some more highs and better mids/bass through recabling (then it apparently becomes about 90% of D2000 I hear?) Only problem would be to find someone that does it in my area, as I'm definitely not a DIY type of guy. I know there are a lot of Head-fiers in Toronto but I'm wondering how many are willing to do professional re-cabling for me here... do we have a forum for such requests?

BTW, I know these amps are not the best in soundstaging, but I'm definitely noticing the increase of that for all my stuff, which is great... gotta wonder what a recable and higher end amp would do
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 4, 2009 at 8:45 PM Post #540 of 733
Does anyone use the T4 with a iPod Nano 4G and either the Ety 4Ps or Shure E530?

Just wanted an opinion of how this setup will work. Both in terms of practicality (carrying the setup around) and sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back