The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Nov 16, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #7,021 of 18,652
Wonder what you would do if you just want to listen to one CD of an album and nothing more.....

I would just press <pause/play.> and stop playback.  Then choose the next album I want to listen to. 

Quote:
  (I am really surprised that we have arguments here about such obvious things... and that several forum users so agressively deny even the very existence of the problem...)

Your expressed preference is only "obvious" to you.  :) 

A politely expressed alternate point of view is hardly "aggressive denial."  In fact, I think most (all?) would agree it would be nice to have the tagging capability you desire as yet another option.

I have found to truly achieve gapless play, especially cross-album and across all platforms, the trick is to concatenate all of the files into one, single large file.  This is easy to accomplish and guarantees perfect, gapless playback. 

Given how trivial this is to accomplish this may be a work around which is acceptable to you.  Or not. :)

Nov 16, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #7,022 of 18,652
  I have found to truly achieve gapless play, especially cross-album and across all platforms, the trick is to concatenate all of the files into one, single large file.  This is easy to accomplish and guarantees perfect, gapless playback. 

Yes thanks, that sounds like an option as long as multi-cd albums won't work (although it makes it more difficult to jump to a specific point in the concert then).
Which software can do that most easily? (I never did that operation yet; am normally just using foobar on my pc to rip and manage the files- can foobar merge files in that way?)

Nov 16, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #7,023 of 18,652
Foobar is perfect for the task. 

Load the files you want to join and select/highlight all of them.  Right click on the files --> convert --> destination and choose "Merge all tracks into one output file."

You are absolutely correct, this does make it tricky to easily choose a specific spot.  It is an unfortunate tradeoff.

Nov 16, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #7,024 of 18,652
  Load the files you want to join and select/highlight all of them.  Right click on the files --> convert --> destination and choose "Merge all tracks into one output file."

Nice and easy, thanks :)

Before I start joining files together, I'll probably join myself to the 1.2.5 adopters this Sunday. (Hope I won't come across any trouble. I also hope the touchscreen's over-sensitivity got improved with this latest FW...)

Nov 16, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #7,026 of 18,652
OK thanks.

I want to take the digital out into the inbuilt DAC on my Valve Amplifier and the input required is a mini USB (male B I think). So I either need a 3.5 mm to mini USB or add a cable to the existing DX50 one which I guess would be a female RCA to mini USB.

But both are proving very hard to find.

Hard to find because the option doesn`t exist, I think.  You need another device to connect coax digital to usb, some thing like this

16/44 versions are cheapish but 24 bit cost way too much to make it worthwhile, for me.  The lack of a coax-usb solution is the reason I decided not to get the Centrance Hifi M8, which has only optical and usb.   

Btw I have been using my dx50 as a digital transport with my desktop amp/dac and it sounds really really really good ! ! 

Nov 16, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #7,027 of 18,652
So to clarify you even leave your card in the DX when you recovery reset? Essentially saying the process line "formatting /mnt/sdcard" doesn't actually reformat the sdcard? If that is the case what does this process do?

Not iBasso's fault. It's a throwback to the early days of Android when actual SD cards were required for user data storage. As flash prices dropped, it became possible to use a single internal flash chip for both operating system and user storage. On DX50 in particular, about 4.5G of the 8G flash is allocated to the operating system. The remaining ~5G is user storage. This is what you see as "Internal Storage". This is what's mounted (I think; I haven't gotten a shell on DX50, yet) as /mnt/sdcard.

These days, external SD cards are often mounted as /mnt/sdcard_ext or something like that.

Nov 16, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #7,028 of 18,652
  Not iBasso's fault. It's a throwback to the early days of Android when actual SD cards were required for user data storage. As flash prices dropped, it became possible to use a single internal flash chip for both operating system and user storage. On DX50 in particular, about 4.5G of the 8G flash is allocated to the operating system. The remaining ~5G is user storage. This is what you see as "Internal Storage". This is what's mounted (I think; I haven't gotten a shell on DX50, yet) as /mnt/sdcard.

These days, external SD cards are often mounted as /mnt/sdcard_ext or something like that.

That doesn't add up, 4.5GB for OS and 5GB for storage. DX50 only has 8GB
normal_smile .gif

Nov 16, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #7,030 of 18,652
Using the DX50 into the fi.Q to my new Fostex TH900 and the sound is very lifelike on live recordings. No veil, just open, airy and dynamic. 

Nov 17, 2013 at 1:56 AM Post #7,033 of 18,652
By the way, I noticed on your profile that you have a Bose QC3. How does it sound with the DX50 (without any extra amp)? Am thinking of acquiring a qc3 or qc15 eventually for my dx50, as I am very disappointed with the noise-isolation of my IEMs.
(Background story: I bought the Hifiman RE-400 after reading on a 'head-fi' forum that IEMs give good sound isolation and better SQ than Bose's QC15. But the sound isolation with the RE-400 is far from ok for me. I even just got some Comply T400 yesterday, again following advices from a 'headfi' forum, but that's again very disappointing, not a very good isolation and the SQ is not as good as with the RE-400's own tips.)

I don't see anyone's replied to your Bose question. I will gladly chime in... I travel almost weekly on business and bought a pair of QC15s a couple years ago after trying other brands and IEMs and some damn good ones at that. I was put off by the claims about Bose SQ for awhile but I road tested a pair in an noisy Best Buy while in the US once and was sold. My wife likes to use them when we travel together so I picked up a pair of QC3s on special last Christmas. They are nowhere near as good as the 15s. They are bass heavy, much poorer isolation and not as comfortable either. I returned them the next day as I didn't want to chance them and be disappointed.

Sure the QC15s aren't fantastic SQ, but plenty good enough in a plane and I think there's enough reviews and testimonials like mine to verify there is still nothing like their isolation. You can't cut out 100% of sound but it's so unobtrusive you'll wonder why you messed around trying other solutions. Just make sure you carry a spare AAA battery as they won't work at all with a flat battery or without one.

And I agree with you on the multi-CD issue. 01-02 should have priority over 02-01 etc.... I don't name files that way myself but have you checked if you can renumber the track# tag with Mp3tag to see if that works?

Nov 17, 2013 at 2:36 AM Post #7,035 of 18,652
Just updated my DX50 to 1.2.5. Haven't had enough time to dig into SQ changes, but the update went smoothly, no snags or scan issues. I think this is a great little player that hits way above its price point.

I'm in this camp, this was exactly what I was looking for in a DAP at this price range. I don't do anything fancy, just listen to an album at a time or jump around directory to directory and really take in each and every song (sometimes twice in a row). That's just how I listen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back