The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Nov 11, 2013 at 2:30 AM Post #6,571 of 18,652
Thanks, you saved me the trouble of a bad buy!

Thanks Soren, I actually never bought any as you know I make my own but the eBay listing seems to be higher and to a certain degree reasonable. I was trying to help others who don't want to pay too much money buying the ICs. One of them I listed I know for a fact he makes them with high quality components and I thought is quite reasonable, it was the most expensive of the troops.
I know you make your own, do you have any to suggest to other members who do not or are not able to make ICs?

I've bought from them on a couple of occasions and I've had 3.5mm extension cables literally fall apart in my hands, even though the cables were sporting a "Sony" logo - badly alligned I might add. Some of their plugs look legit, but have the wrong brand names. Other times they just get things a bit mixed up - like this: http://www.lunashops.co.uk/goods-1868.html

Nov 11, 2013 at 2:31 AM Post #6,572 of 18,652
My DX50 is on its way to me as well
biggrin.gif

Nov 11, 2013 at 4:20 AM Post #6,573 of 18,652
  I have a first batch DX50 running on the latest beta FW.  For the most part it runs flawlessly.  I don't do anything fancy - have it loaded with hi-res (mostly 24/96 FLAC), play albums in their entirety. The DX50 will freeze occasionally but it's very rare.  Other than that, I have a single track that for the life of me I can't figure out why it won't show up properly with the rest of it's album. Tagging looks fine through MP3Tag - not sure what's going on.  But that's very minor - overall this has been a great little device.

I have 3 or 4 mp3 files that cause the DX50 to freeze, but work perfectly fine in other platforms. It has nothing to do with encoding or tags. 
I've reported the issue to iBasso a few weeks ago, they acknowledged the problem and said they would try to solve it ASAP.

Nov 11, 2013 at 4:41 AM Post #6,574 of 18,652
  It's good to hear a lot of good news about the O2! 

If anyone else has tried BOTH the O2 and the C5, please do let me know the differences, and if it'll be worth the upgrade.

Cheers! 
beerchug.gif

I have both and I agree with Marleybob217.

O2 is better for me. C5 is slightly warmer and soundstage is not that wide. In my opinion it wouldn't be an upgrade in sound quality, but I do not consider it downgrade. In terms of portability it's surely an upgrade.

I'm using both. O2 as a desktop amp especially for ODAC, an C5 for DX50. C5 is more juicy, a little bit more fun sounding. It has the open sound of O2, but in comparison O2 is more neutral.

I love them both :wink: C5 sounds great with DX50 on 1.2.3 beta firmware - clean and powerful sound.

I also like dimensions of C5. Right, It is quite heavy, but more comfortable than E12 with DX50, which BTW sounds really nice to. E12 to C5 is like modulator to amplifier, it does much more to the signal, C5 is more transparent.

Nov 11, 2013 at 4:51 AM Post #6,575 of 18,652

I have both and I agree with Marleybob217.

O2 is better for me. C5 is slightly warmer and soundstage is not that wide. In my opinion it wouldn't be an upgrade in sound quality, but I do not consider it downgrade. In terms of portability it's surely an upgrade.

I'm using both. O2 as a desktop amp especially for ODAC, an C5 for DX50. C5 is more juicy, a little bit more fun sounding. It has the open sound of O2, but in comparison O2 is more neutral.

I love them both :wink: C5 sounds great with DX50 on 1.2.3 beta firmware - clean and powerful sound.

I also like dimensions of C5. Right, It is quite heavy, but more comfortable than E12 with DX50, which BTW sounds really nice to. E12 to C5 is like modulator to amplifier, it does much more to the sound.

I never knew the C5 was warm, but if a few of you guys say so, I won't doubt it. However, I do agree the soundstage isn't all that. If the differences are fairly minor in which you wouldn't call it an upgrade, then I wouldn't say it'd be a necessity for me as of now.

I too, pair the C5 with the DX50 and I find it to work really well. The sound is very engaging and the fun-factor is definitely apparent.

Although so, I'm not quite sure why people are saying the C5 is heavy...I found it to be fairly light - not as light as the DX50, but it's not heavy. 

I notice you have a FireStone Audio Mini+. Wanna compare that to the C5 for me, if you've got time?:)

Nov 11, 2013 at 5:07 AM Post #6,576 of 18,652

I never knew the C5 was warm, but if a few of you guys say so, I won't doubt it. However, I do agree the soundstage isn't all that. If the differences are fairly minor in which you wouldn't call it an upgrade, then I wouldn't say it'd be a necessity for me as of now.

I too, pair the C5 with the DX50 and I find it to work really well. The sound is very engaging and the fun-factor is definitely apparent.

Although so, I'm not quite sure why people are saying the C5 is heavy...I found it to be fairly light - not as light as the DX50, but it's not heavy. 

I notice you have a FireStone Audio Mini+. Wanna compare that to the C5 for me, if you've got time?:)

It is quite heavy with DX50, but it is not that bad. Dimensions fit great with DX50, using it is comfortable, but it's kinda pocket-heavy, like guys said earlier :wink:

I like Mini+, but it is not competition for C5. In my opinion Mini+ has bass roll off, it's bright and not that clean. A bit grainy. It is not that universal, but i like pairing it with Clip+. I think it's better than FiiO E6 or NuForce MMP. Mini+ is very durable.

Auto power on could be irritating. I would change bass boost feature for on/off switch - I often forget to unplug headphones :)

Nov 11, 2013 at 5:15 AM Post #6,577 of 18,652

It is quite heavy with DX50, but it is not that bad. Dimensions fit great with DX50, using it is comfortable, but it's kinda pocket-heavy, like guys said earlier :wink:

I like Mini+, but it is not competition for C5. In my opinion Mini+ has bass roll off, it's bright and not that clean. A bit grainy. It is not that universal, but i like pairing it with Clip+. I think it's better than FiiO E6 or NuForce MMP. Mini+ is very durable.

Auto power on could be irritating. I would change bass boost feature for on/off switch - I often forget to unplug headphones :)

Yeah, I guess I can agree that it is pocket-heavy, but I really wouldn't say many mid-fi rigs are very pocket-friendly, haha.

Oh, so it's like an upgraded version of the E6, so to speak? Well, that's alright, considering it's ultra-portable form factor.

Nov 11, 2013 at 5:53 AM Post #6,578 of 18,652
Nov 11, 2013 at 6:37 AM Post #6,580 of 18,652
Mini Audio DX50 case is in the house.

I am quite pleased with it. All buttons work nicely through the silicon. It manages to be snug up top yet still fits smoothly over my SD to Micro SD adapter at the bottom.

Early impressions: It is a good product and for $8 it is a comparative steal.

Nov 11, 2013 at 7:16 AM Post #6,582 of 18,652
Nov 11, 2013 at 7:16 AM Post #6,583 of 18,652

I am quite pleased with it. All buttons work nicely through the silicon. It manages to be snug up top yet still fits smoothly over my SD to Micro SD adapter at the bottom.

where purchased? site? thx

Nov 11, 2013 at 7:19 AM Post #6,584 of 18,652

where u located?? i ordered but they dun sent oversea...

Nov 11, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #6,585 of 18,652

Users who are viewing this thread

Back