Flac compression uses more processing than wav/aiff
smily_headphones1.gif
but no tags. Saves battery
smily_headphones1.gif

Uncompressed flac = wav with tags
smily_headphones1.gif
doesn't the DX50 support this Format?

OK, I'll bite.  

To my mind it would seem the amp draws the vast majority of the power used by the unit.  The DAC has to decode whatever format of bits it receives.  Are you sure that the decoder chip draws more or less amperage based on the audio source storage stream or container?

SWAG time.  I would venture that it might matter a few minutes at most on a player that has a 16 hr run time.  Please let me know if I am wrong, I am always learning new things in the consumer electronics realm.

Oct 29, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #5,388 of 18,652
Just out of curiosity does anybody know if you can use the DX50 with a car stereo via a 3.5mm auxiliary input???

I'm just in the process of changing my car....and was wondering whether it would work if my new vehicle had am auxiliary plug?

Oct 29, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #5,389 of 18,652
Just out of curiosity does anybody know if you can use the DX50 with a car stereo via a 3.5mm auxiliary input???

I'm just in the process of changing my car....and was wondering whether it would work if my new vehicle had am auxiliary plug?

Don't most cars have a USB input nowadays?

If you're after the SQ, I got bad news for you - a better DAC circuit traveling through a cable into its stereo system won't overcome the car's acoustics, like abnormal distances between each tweeter and midbass driver and your ears, which a dedicated car audio processor (and as such it will require a new amp as well) can fix. The frequency response might sound fuller, but the imaging and soundstage will still be off.

Not to mention where will you mount the DX50 so you can, at the very least, switch tracks at a stoplight without a cop knocking on your window and giving you a ticket (of course it depends on where you live) since it doesn't show up on the more ergonomically-placed (but still accident-causing, depending on the situation) receiver and controls on the dash.

Oct 29, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #5,390 of 18,652

That's quite a bold claim.

Nothing is wrong with the DX50 at all. It is completely useable nor no one is being a guinea pig. It is not completely stable though, but stop assuming this is a beta device. It is not! I'm sure 90% of users are completely happy with it!

OK.  The mean customer rates the DX50 as "84% of perfect."    The bottom 10th percentile rate it as "42.5% perfect."  the top 10th percentile rate it as "99% perfect."

I rate it as sounds really good.  The UI is actually quite nice.  I hope iBasso continues to refine the firmware for it.  The only "bug" that is unacceptable is the multi-disc playback quirks.  That is not a deal breaker, because worse case I can retag and renumber my multi-disc albums.  Since retagging them for DX50 would not effect playback on any other device I use, I don't see it as a big problem.

So it is past the beta stage and well into the finished product (but could be improved) category.  As far as the way it processes files, tags, ordering, etc. it is miles ahead of the first 2 or 3 MP3 players I owned.

Oct 29, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #5,391 of 18,652

Yeah, connect one end into the lineout of the player and the other into the aux input. Is like using the car stereo as a giant amplifier. Huge improvement over my built-in CD player (I'm guessing the DAC in my car stereo is ass).

Just one thing, have the volume on the aux all the way down when you connect it. Turn the music on and then turn your car stereo up to normal listening level. You'll get feedback if the car stereo is turned up, probably isn't healthy for either the console or the player.

Oct 29, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #5,392 of 18,652

If you're after the SQ, I got bad news for you - a better DAC circuit traveling through a cable into its stereo system won't overcome the car's acoustics, like abnormal distances between each tweeter and midbass driver and your ears, which a dedicated car audio processor (and as such it will require a new amp as well) can fix. Not to mention where will you mount the DX50 so you can, at the very least, switch tracks at a stoplight without a cop knocking on your window and giving you a ticket (of course it depends on where you live) since it doesn't show up on the more ergonomically-placed (but still accident-causing, depending on the situation) receiver and controls on the dash.    
^ Giant irrelevant rant that doesn't answer the question.

Answer: Yes, the DX50 will play through your car stereo if you have a 3.5mm AUX input via a patch cord.

Oct 29, 2013 at 11:44 AM Post #5,393 of 18,652
Originally Posted by precsmo 

Nothing is wrong with the DX50 at all. It is completely useable nor no one is being a guinea pig. It is not completely stable though, but stop assuming this is a beta device. It is not! I'm sure 90% of users are completely happy with it

Originally Posted by msromike /img/forum/go_quote.gif

OK.  The mean customer rates the DX50 as "84% of perfect."    The bottom 10th percentile rate it as "42.5% perfect."  the top 10th percentile rate it as "99% perfect."

I rate it as sounds really good.  The UI is actually quite nice.  I hope iBasso continues to refine the firmware for it.  The only "bug" that is unacceptable is the multi-disc playback quirks.  That is not a deal breaker, because worse case I can retag and renumber my multi-disc albums.  Since retagging them for DX50 would not effect playback on any other device I use, I don't see it as a big problem.

So it is past the beta stage and well into the finished product (but could be improved) category.  As far as the way it processes files, tags, ordering, etc. it is miles ahead of the first 2 or 3 MP3 players I owned.

Just funny how you guys just throw numbers like that out of thin air.
deadhorse.gif

Was there a survey conducted  come up with those number? Or did you get those number just by scanning this thread?

Oct 29, 2013 at 11:46 AM Post #5,394 of 18,652

If you're after the SQ, I got bad news for you - a better DAC circuit traveling through a cable into its stereo system won't overcome the car's acoustics, like abnormal distances between each tweeter and midbass driver and your ears, which a dedicated car audio processor (and as such it will require a new amp as well) can fix. The frequency response might sound fuller, but the imaging and soundstage will still be off.

Not to mention where will you mount the DX50 so you can, at the very least, switch tracks at a stoplight without a cop knocking on your window and giving you a ticket (of course it depends on where you live) since it doesn't show up on the more ergonomically-placed (but still accident-causing, depending on the situation) receiver and controls on the dash.

DX50 does not send audio signals off USB.

Oct 29, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #5,395 of 18,652

I quite like this post. No it is not scientific - the sample rates aren't there. But it does reflect what people are saying. I'm in the 99% perfect category. I like the quirkiness, I tolerate the occasional weirdness and overall it just plain works. I can't believe how much I am enjoying the DX50 as a source.

Turning it on can be an adventure though.  :wink:

Oct 29, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #5,397 of 18,652
Still waiting order comfirmation from mp4nation :frowning2: please hurry i cant wait any longer:frowning2: haha! cant wait for it to be in my hands:) nice bonus with the R3 eaphones also:)

on the mp4nation website in the description of the ibasso, it says orders after the 14th October will be shipped on the 26th which is a few says ago...

ps. i have been ripping my cd collection onto my computer to put onto this when i get it, i have came across my "ozzy osbourne live at budkan" album which my laptop won read it? on the disc it says "will not play on pc/mac" how do i get around this?? im using db to rip my cds:)

thanks

- JT

Oct 29, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #5,398 of 18,652

DX50 does not send audio signals off USB.

I meant car receivers nowadays usually have a USB input that can take storage drives or Androids.

-----------

^ Giant irrelevant rant that doesn't answer the question.

My apologies for being thorough with the SQ expectations vs car audio acoustic realities+ergonomic issues.

Oct 29, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #5,399 of 18,652

I meant car receivers nowadays usually have a USB input that can take storage drives or Androids.

-----------

My apologies for being thorough with the SQ expectations vs car audio acoustic realities+ergonomic issues.

I'm talking about the DX50 not supporting audio output via USB. Thus, as per burtomr making your original response pointless answer to the intended question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back