The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Oct 14, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #4,023 of 18,652
Hey there, this is my first post:

Fifth batch DX50 delivered today in SF, CA.  EDIT: firmware v.1.20 was factory installed. EDIT2: definitely using headphone out not LO

Sounds very good so far--I ordered (and received) a SanDisk 64GB SDXC card, but forgot to order a card reader/writer, so I am using the internal storage for now; I am at work so I have, so far, only loaded two albums to DAP from USB thumb drive, both 24bit-96kHz.

I am using GoldfishX's eq settings on the bottom of page 68.

Headphones: ER4s and Phaeton PS500 (similar to MS500, but with titanium vaporized diaphragms = list price: $299, but I got mine for $99 from Amazon)

Volume level is not that great using ER4S, I have it set to max at 255, but it is not loud at all.
--Definitely using headphone out not LO

What would be the best portable amp for DX50 and ER4S?  (BTW: I tried to search the thread, but could not find any duiscussions of amps used for DX50 + ER4S)

Many thanks!

Oct 14, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #4,024 of 18,652

Fifth batch DX50 delivered today in SF, CA.

Sounds very good so far--I ordered (and received) a SanDisk 64GB SDXC card, but forgot to order a card reader/writer, so I am using the internal storage for now; I am at work so I have, so far, only loaded two albums to DAP from USB thumb drive, both 24bit-96kHz.

Headphones: ER4s and Phaeton PS500 (similar to MS500, but with titanium vaporized diaphragms = list price: $299, but I got mine for $99 from Amazon)

Volume level is not that great using ER4S, I have it set to max at 255, but it is not loud at all.

What would be the best portable amp for DX50 and ER4S?  (BTW: I tried to search the thread, but could not find any duiscussions of amps used for DX50 + ER4S)

Many thanks!

I think Tralucent T1 will be good. But I already use o2. :)

Oct 14, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #4,027 of 18,652

Fifth batch DX50 delivered today in SF, CA.

Many thanks!

try mid or high gain :)

Oct 14, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #4,030 of 18,652
5f1368bda4bfc97733d60e41a00800e1_zpsd34c288b.jpg

Source : IBasso DX 50 through line out with maxx volume
Dac / Amp : IBasso D12 HiFlight mod
Amp : Headstage Arrow 4 G
Iem : Earsonic. SEM 6

IBasso D12 win again Headstage Arrow 4 G pair with Earsonic SEM 6

High :
Arrow 4 G :
high : slightly breiter
Mid : more forward , clear and clean
Bass : very good bass impact , faster speed than D12
Separation : on par
Soundstage : D12 has wider soundstage than Arrow 4 G

D 12 with HiFligt mod
High : is enough and very good detail
Mid : more analog than 4 G , not as forward as my 4 G
Bass : very good bass impact , bass speed a bit slower , but is more natural
Separation : on par
Soundstage : D12 has wider soundstage than arrow 4 G

D12 is slightly warmer bad analog SQ than arrow 4 G

This is my IMO

Thanks Rudi :D

Oct 14, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #4,031 of 18,652

And that is my finished:

iBasso DX50 24-192 DAT/DAP, with coax connection to...
iBasso DB2 Boomslang2, Portable Balanced 24Bit/192kHz DAC, feeding balanced line level to...
iBasso PB2 Pelican, Portable Balanced Headphone Amp with Hiflight Topkit, sending balanced output to...
Beyer Dynamic DT 990 Premium 600 OHM Headphones, rewired to accept balanced input
Energizer XP8000AB Universal Power Pack with laptop adapter sending 16v to PB2

It sounds great!  I really can't compare because this is my first portable equipment.  It is replacing my Android phone for music playback.

The only reason I went balanced is that the PB2 has a much higher voltage swing when operated in balanced mode.  BTW, if I did it over I would get 32 ohm cans  running single ended..  My stack would be 2 pieces instead of 4.

Oct 14, 2013 at 7:42 PM Post #4,033 of 18,652
Does anyone know if the 1.2 version of firmware coming installed on the 5th batch units is the same as the version people are using on pre 5th batch units. Also, if you have received a unit with version 1.2 preinstalled are you having issues with the unit randomly freezing.

Oct 14, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #4,034 of 18,652
Hi Rudi,
Between iBasso D12 and PB2, which is a better amp for DX50?

For the D12 users who inquired, I can custom-tailor a Topkit especially for the DX50.

Oct 14, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #4,035 of 18,652
Well, my DX50 arrived today. I am still waiting on a new 64GB card to be delivered from Amazon, since my last one fell out of my Clip, and I have no idea where it went. But I loaded a bit of music on to the built in space. 

I work in web design, so I listen to a lot of music at work, haha. I was listening to Ella and Louis when the package was delivered, off my laptop, through an HM-101 and Pioneer HDJ-2000 headphones, which I commonly use at work, as they're great for using with one ear covered, and the other uncovered in mono mode. I queued up the song I had just been listening to and plugged the pioneers in to the DX50, before I applied any sort of EQ I was definitely digging the sound. 

Plugged the Pioneers back in to the HM-101, as those stay permanently connected to the docking station at work, and switched it up to my Hifiman RE-262 iems, and I really like this combo. I applied a bit of EQ to my liking, and was soon wishing I had more music on it. My new card is supposed to arrive tomorrow (although I ordered it with 2 day Prime shipping from Amazon on Friday morning and it literally left Amazon's warehouse minutes ago). 

Really like this combo, and am looking forward to getting my UM Merlins (impressions shipped out today), although I have heard the DX50 and the Merlins aren't great together, which I was a little disappointed to hear. 

I am clearly on a firmware version that is either way ahead of what the first batch shipped with, or there are some really big complainers here. I have had no issues thus far, and the UI is simple and perfectly serviceable. I have run both MP3 files, and FLAC files at several sample rates, and all played flawlessly. No volume jumping around, no sound artifacts, no crashing. Now, it's just been one afternoon, so I am knocking on wood, but I have to say, Pretty pleased thus far. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back