The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Oct 13, 2013 at 7:52 AM Post #3,947 of 18,652
 Headphonia don't mention what FW they were comparing when they made that statement about batch 5. And I've not seen anyone question it either. We might be worrying about nothing at all!

Actually he mentions both were tested with firmware 1.2, so there were some internal differences in the batches for sure, according to headphonia anyway. I am not surprised, its in fact a good thing that iBasso is continually trying to improve the SQ of the player.

Oct 13, 2013 at 7:54 AM Post #3,948 of 18,652
Actually he mentions both were tested with firmware 1.2, so there were some internal differences in the batches for sure, according to headphonia anyway. I am not surprised, its in fact a good thing that iBasso is continually trying to improve the SQ of the player.

Whoops! I missed that... My apologies... Still doubt there is anything than manufacturing variation though until others can independently confirm the difference.

Oct 13, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #3,949 of 18,652
There are no differences in the dx50. All the same components are used. I emailed iBasso about this.

Oct 13, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #3,951 of 18,652
I noticed the "clicking" yesterday, on 24/44.1 files... Holy hell that was annoying! Once you hear it, it becomes impossible to ignore. I really hope Ibasso comes up with a fix for it, as it kinda ruins the point of having a 24/192 capable DAP. 
What type of files are you listening to (flac, alac)? I have been listening to alac files and have not noticed any clicking. Most of my files are 24/96. I am using a separate amp. Maybe that has something to do with it?

Oct 13, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #3,952 of 18,652
With utmost respect, it is unreasonable to not expect in-service improvements to any product. It's a long established recommendation not to buy early production cars while they sort out the bugs. Why would a $240 DAP be any different?

With the DX50, I would be surprised if there is any different components in Batch 5 vs Batch 1, 2, 3 or 4. But I am sure the FW is different and that is available to all.

While I'm at it, all this talk about batteries and batches and so on. The only opinions on SQ I'd take much notice of would be a series of blind tests across a reasonable sample of listeners. All too subjective to take much notice of single opinions. I'm not saying you don't hear differences, but the degree of difference and whether it makes that much difference to being upset by it all is like bordering on paranoia I'm afraid to say. Headphonia don't mention what FW they were comparing when they made that statement about batch 5. And I've not seen anyone question it either. We might be worrying about nothing at all!

For example, how many of you Head-Fiers are like me? One day I prefer one headphone or source over another and the next day it could be the reverse. If we always preferred just one source or headphone we'd only have one.... Music genre excepted... Even then I bet we don't just listen to one combination for each genre. I sure don't.

With DAP SQ, here is my list, ranked best to least SQ:

DX100
RWAK100
DX50
Sony Z-1070

And a bit further back but hardly disgraced are...

Sony Xperia Z
iPad 2
iPhone 5 (sold)
iPod 80gb 6G
iPhone 4S (sold)
iPod Nano

Just my take and 2 cents....

Edit: forgot my iPods. And incorrect statement on FW in Mike's test. Thanks TRANCE.

fully agreed, just too subjective. Probably all the differences have been just so "virtual"! I was amazed by someone even claimed that wav sounds better than flac? Please proof to me otherwise.

Oct 13, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #3,954 of 18,652
the clicking issues are still persistent especially for 24/192 flac especially with long jazz/classical track.. I am suspecting if it is bcos the file size being too big... because pop/folk 24/192 songs are okay... as they are usually under 5min mark...

Oct 13, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #3,957 of 18,652

What type of files are you listening to (flac, alac)? I have been listening to alac files and have not noticed any clicking. Most of my files are 24/96. I am using a separate amp. Maybe that has something to do with it?

Flac, 24/44.1 files... I'll try with an amp an report my findings :)

Oct 13, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #3,959 of 18,652
  Anyone know if the buttons on the front are detachable? I'm forever getting dust and debris in there and compressed air isn't cutting it.

How about a keyboard vacuum cleaner? Blowing in compressed air isn't going to help if there's no way out for that air except to bounce back where it came, in which case anything it's trying to dislodge will just go back to where it was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back