The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Oct 12, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #3,918 of 18,652
  Sound Quality different between Fw 1.1.6 vs Fw 1.2.0

Fw 1.1.6
High : more extended and clear and clean
Mid : more pronounce and full body and clearer
Bass : very Impact full and better Bass detail
Sepoarartion : better music separation, that the individual Instrument can hear more accurate
Soundstage : more wide and better Depth

Fw 1.2.0
High : lack in high like somebody play cymbals behind Curtain, feel smoother
Mid : not so clear like Fw 1.1.6 a bit boomy
Nass : less detail more to boomy bass 
Separation : is not as good Fw 1.1.6 i can not detect so easy , like they play close to each other
Soundstage : is noit as wide Fw 1.1.6

Disappointing to hear.
As there were changes from the 1.0  to  1.6 (IMVHO) that really left me feeling blah about the player. Now it's  subjected  to a digital out transport device role.

I  would really like the original firmware back.

Oct 12, 2013 at 11:31 PM Post #3,919 of 18,652
  Yesterday, after listening again to my friend DX50 with Samsung "Genuine" Galaxy S3 Battery (GT-19300), below is my comment:

1) The sound level (loudness) appears to be much higher even at low gain setting comparing to stock battery
2) Sound stage appear to be wider and spacious and deeper
3) The clarify has improved.
4) Better separation between vocal & instruments
5) The treble and bass have much impact

Sorry for my layman kind of explaining.

I believe the S3 battery help to improve the performance of Op-Amp in the circuitry like what Rudy mentioned.

I very much doubt it, I can almost guarantee you they are using a Buck-Boost Converter IC to get the design voltage which is probably either 5v or 12v or both.

So it doesn't really matter what voltage the battery is putting out as long as it's above the cutoff threshold for the IC, which will be above 2.7v in order to protect the battery from being discharged to deep (which will ruin it.)  That battery is probably working in the 3.7v to 3.0v range, maybe down as far as 2.8v.  So if the Samsung battery put out 3.75v instead of 3.7v, the actual working voltage to the electronics is still going to be 5v and 12v.  The only difference voltage is going to make is how much heat is generate during the conversion process.

So, that's my take on the different batteries make the device sound different discussion.

Oct 13, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #3,922 of 18,652
  I very much doubt it, I can almost guarantee you they are using a Buck-Boost Converter IC to get the design voltage which is probably either 5v or 12v or both.

So it doesn't really matter what voltage the battery is putting out as long as it's above the cutoff threshold for the IC, which will be above 2.7v in order to protect the battery from being discharged to deep (which will ruin it.)  That battery is probably working in the 3.7v to 3.0v range, maybe down as far as 2.8v.  So if the Samsung battery put out 3.75v instead of 3.7v, the actual working voltage to the electronics is still going to be 5v and 12v.  The only difference voltage is going to make is how much heat is generate during the conversion process.

So, that's my take on the different batteries make the device sound different discussion.

I guess one way to prove this,  is to have 2 units DX50:xf_eek:ne
 comes with stock battery and then the other one with S3 battery.

Then play them with similar song and different format (FLAC, MP3, ALAC, APE)  at same gain level (low gain) and volume level and firmware version.
For sure this will tell us if this is a truth or an hype.

Oct 13, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #3,923 of 18,652
Every DAPs have their own strong and weak points
Nobody is perfect
In portable Audio and Home audio it is very important the SYNERGY one with another
From amps , DAC , DAP , cables

These are the ranking in my opinion :
Base on Price range and
Base on SQ and
as stand alone DAP and
flexibility to pair with different amps included my desktop amps and
External DAC and
Very important is your music file , I always use WAV for all my music files

Note : music file is very important to get excellent SQ
Can not compare MP3 file agains FLAC or WAV

IBasso HDP R10
AK 120
iPhone 4s
iPod Classic 7G 160 Gb
IBasso DX 50
AK 100
Hi Sound Studio V 3rd Edition
Hippo Biscuit
Sony Bluetooth NW 1

This my IMO

How about ranking just based on SQ and standalone DAP?

Oct 13, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #3,924 of 18,652
All the batteries should charge to around 4.35 volts. If there's a difference in sound it is most likely internal resistance differences in the batteries. I like the Anker battery.

Oct 13, 2013 at 12:46 AM Post #3,925 of 18,652
Every DAPs have their own strong and weak points
Nobody is perfect
In portable Audio and Home audio it is very important the SYNERGY one with another
From amps , DAC , DAP , cables

These are the ranking in my opinion :
Base on Price range and
Base on SQ and
as stand alone DAP and
flexibility to pair with different amps included my desktop amps and
External DAC and
Very important is your music file , I always use WAV for all my music files

Note : music file is very important to get excellent SQ
Can not compare MP3 file agains FLAC or WAV

IBasso HDP R10
AK 120
iPhone 4s
iPod Classic 7G 160 Gb
IBasso DX 50
AK 100
Hi Sound Studio V 3rd Edition
Hippo Biscuit
Sony Bluetooth NW 1

This my IMO

The DX50 falls behind iPod 7G and iPhone 4s (I own both)? I know it's a YMMV thing, but I am still surprised by your rating tho given that how many head-fi'ers have praised the DX50.

Speaking of battery, I have these caps which actually greatly improve power consumption with one of my diyimod's setting record running time over 50 hrs. I have no explanations on this but I know that's the fact. I guess magic things do happen to circuitry when components change.

Oct 13, 2013 at 1:25 AM Post #3,926 of 18,652
Thank you Lin for your impression
This is not bias this the truth
biggrin.gif

If you want better SQ charge your Samsung battery use their desktop charger
You can compare again you charge direct to your DX 50

this is kinda miracle
i think i should go buy a battery set to try
wink.gif

Oct 13, 2013 at 1:35 AM Post #3,927 of 18,652
All the batteries should charge to around 4.35 volts. If there's a difference in sound it is most likely internal resistance differences in the batteries. I like the Anker battery.
does the anker battery fit in the dx50?
it seems a little bit thicker than the original samsung one

Oct 13, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #3,928 of 18,652
Sorry for this stupid question but can the dx50 be used as a external dac for a desktop or a MacBook and connect to another amp? If so, how can I do this; what cables do I need. I know that it can't function as a USB dac.

Oct 13, 2013 at 2:34 AM Post #3,929 of 18,652
Sorry for this stupid question but can the dx50 be used as a external dac for a desktop or a MacBook and connect to another amp? If so, how can I do this; what cables do I need. I know that it can't function as a USB dac.

NO, the DX50 does not work as an external DAC for either PC or MAC.
And if you are wondering about the Coaxial port provided on DX50, it is for output to another DAC, in case you wish to use DX50 simply as a transport. 

Also, judging by responses from the iBasso team time and again, they aren't planning on making it work as an external dac; unlike the Fiio X3, which has already been updated to work as an external dac.

Oct 13, 2013 at 2:46 AM Post #3,930 of 18,652

wow, now this is getting hard to believe :p , but it is still believable, the desktop charger charges at 4.2v, while going through the DX50 might only be 3.~v this would affect the output voltage of the battery in the end.

I believe on battery for all my portable and  cbarger is very important too
For simply testing you can buy Vivan external charger .Vivan use Samsung battery .
I just bought 12000 mAh .
Please connect to your DX50 and  compare without Vivan external charger
You will enjoy your DX 50 during you charge with Vivan  external charger 
My IMO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back