The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Sep 9, 2013 at 3:09 AM Post #541 of 18,652
After playing with the DX50 for 2 days, I have now sold my AK120

Don't get me wrong, AK120 still sound unmistakably better than DX50 (both standalone) to the "audiophiles", but the gap is small enough for me to part with my AK120 that I used for 4 months.

I liked the ak120 but some areas were a bit lacking to me with excellent iems compared to the 901 and in this I think we agree. So in what areas does the dx50 lack or differ from the ak120? thanks

Sep 9, 2013 at 3:10 AM Post #542 of 18,652
Wow, Ibasso must have created some magic to make the dx50 sound significantly better than the X3 and AK100, just below the DX100 and AK120 for such an affordable price...
I'm not torn if I should jump fr the X3 to DX50 or wait for the X5...

Sep 9, 2013 at 3:19 AM Post #545 of 18,652
After playing with the DX50 for 2 days, I have now sold my AK120.

It also look great in a stack (courtesy from a friend who is loving it with his International and 334) :

Don't get me wrong, AK120 still sound unmistakably better than DX50 (both standalone) to the "audiophiles", but the gap is small enough for me to part with my AK120 that I used for 4 months.

Audiophiles only upgrade never downgrade, regardless of the price. I guess you are not an audiophile. Shame on you.
wink_face.gif

Sep 9, 2013 at 3:30 AM Post #546 of 18,652
won't the x5 be more expensive though?

Yep, should be around $400ish.
But its supposed to be FiiO's high end DAP which uses PCM DAC. From the PCM trait, it's likely to be towards neutral with great clarity and details (though that might be wrong depending on how FiiO implements it). That's why i was quite surprised when everyone said DX50's WM8740 chip was neutral towards the bright side since all the ones i tried with that chip are towards the warm side.

I'm hoping future firmware will allow the DX50 to be used as USB DAC with PC. Has anyone emailed Ibasso with this question? :)

Sep 9, 2013 at 3:42 AM Post #547 of 18,652
I'm hoping future firmware will allow the DX50 to be used as USB DAC with PC. Has anyone emailed Ibasso with this question?
smily_headphones1.gif

Looks like they have a huge number of bugs to fix before introducing new features ... LoL maybe another 6 months?

Sep 9, 2013 at 3:51 AM Post #548 of 18,652

Looks like they have a huge number of bugs to fix before introducing new features ... LoL maybe another 6 months?

All the people that decided to order this player instead of the X3 because of the bug reports in the X3 threads......I wonder how they are feeling now?

I don't mean that to be a smart-arse question, as I am not in the market for either player myself.....just curious.

Sep 9, 2013 at 4:03 AM Post #552 of 18,652

All the people that decided to order this player instead of the X3 because of the bug reports in the X3 threads......I wonder how they are feeling now?

I don't mean that to be a smart-arse question, as I am not in the market for either player myself.....just curious.

No, people jumped ship because of different sound signature... I guess most of us knew the firmware wasn't going to be well tested..it was never really ready... but i guess they could not afford not to put it out the market sooner than later..

Sep 9, 2013 at 4:07 AM Post #554 of 18,652

Considering they have a number of quality testers, I wonder how they missed so many blatant bugs before launch. Unless they knew but still decided to go ahead with the launch and plan for a firmware update to slowly fix the problem after all their sales :p

I didnt find many bugs with the X3, in fact there were only a few minor ones that doesnt interrupt the important functions.
But it seems like there are truck loads of bugs with the DX50 that includes crashing and hanging :O
After the X3 was released, most of the posts were about reviews and conparisons. But more than 1/2 of the posts for DX50 is about the bugs lol

Well, I for one do not feel AK100 worths 3 times more than DX50...

Considering some are saying the DX50 is better than the AK100, the irony is that it should have been the other way around hehe :p

Sep 9, 2013 at 4:29 AM Post #555 of 18,652
This post is not directed at iBasso in particular but many audio suppliers in the portable electronics arena.

I have noticed a lot of products in these forums being released with subpar software / significant bugs.

I think most people appreciate product flexibility and understand there is some complexity dealing with audio formats, file formats, mobile interfaces, computer interfaces, etc. There is also a lot of competition among engineers for quick release these days around the "hot" portable markets.

These are not good excuses for releasing products with significant bugs. Customers begin asking themselves:

- do I want to deal with the hassle?
- why do the updates sound so different?
- why didn't the firm get this sorted in the development process?
- why so many customer complaints found on a simple Internet search?

Of course some companies outside of audio release a lot of products in Beta. Google is a great example. They release a lot of junk in beta; at least it is free. Often frustrating and a waste of time to use. If you adopt the product, there is a risk google decides to kill it. All signs of a terrible customer experience. This reflects the fact that Google is purely an advertising company; their advertising platform is fantastic. They want to collect money from selling ads and don't care about the ancillary businesses if they don't eventually boost core advertising.

Just as google is dependent on selling ads, audio hardware companies are dependent on selling hardware. Both need to focus on the quality of user experience in core business or users just won't be around for long.

If an audio hardware firm insists on following the Google model, it should look at the quality of google's core advertising business; Google's Beta strategy for ancillary businesses is irrelevant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back