The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Sep 8, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #497 of 18,652
I received my dx50 friday morning in The Netherlands after it was shiped wedsnesday evening HK time. I paid no additional fees upon delivery. Saw some remarks on additional customs fees, but no issues.

I had a lot of issues getting to work it properly. When copying files dummy files were created starting with "._" screwing up playback. I think it is related to copying a folder intead of individual files (using an iMac). When c/p the individual files the show as proper albums and can be played. Browsing in directory mode is now not usefull though.

Sep 8, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #498 of 18,652
  I received my dx50 friday morning in The Netherlands after it was shiped wedsnesday evening HK time. I paid no additional fees upon delivery. Saw some remarks on additional customs fees, but no issues.

I had a lot of issues getting to work it properly. When copying files dummy files were created starting with "._" screwing up playback. I think it is related to copying a folder intead of individual files (using an iMac). When c/p the individual files the show as proper albums and can be played. Browsing in directory mode is now not usefull though.

Mac OS X creates those files as part of their file system.. it's normally hidden when viewing the file system in Finder.. but those files show up when copying a folder to another file system (such as Windows NTFS share).. so it's not really the fault of the DX50.. depending on the app that created the hidden file on the Mac.. sometimes it's a backup of the original file.. so it actually plays the whole song on the DAP making it seem like each song is being repeated even though you only have 1 copy of the song on the DAP

Sep 8, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #499 of 18,652
@ ShenaRingo 326 thanks, that explains a lot. The dummy files are empty I think and make the whole OS unpredictable (sometimes a file will play, sometimes not). But when copying files instead of folders this all goes away.

Sep 8, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #500 of 18,652
  I am just going to wait for a FW fix on the apostrophe.

No wonder Girls' Generation wouldn't play and get recognized at all!!!

Cheers guys
beerchug.gif

LOOOL

Sep 8, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #503 of 18,652
Found something weird with the DX50... I mentioned the bug in the bug thread, but this is strange. 

When you press the back button in the top left of the screen, you are taken back a folder (in directory mode), and you will start at the top of the list. If you've just scrolled down to the bottom of the list and accidentally clicked something, this means you have to scroll all the way down again.

I thought that this was just the DX50 not remembering positions at all, but it turns out it just chooses not to (intentionally or not), unless you use the My Music button in the bottom right of the 'Now Playing' screen. You can test this by scrolling down as far as you like in the directory view, the pressing the home button. It will take you to the now playing screen. Press the 'My Music' button, and it will take you back to exactly where you were, showing that the DX50 can remember where you were. For some reason it doesn't retain this information when you select a folder. Don't understand why.

Sep 8, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #504 of 18,652
CosmicHolyGhost, is the DX50 sound quality comparable to the 901 or is the DX50 sound quality an obvious downgrade when going back and forth? I would think it would be hard to downgrade to the DX50 if you have 901 available. Is the DX50 sound signature better at playing anything (music type/specific hp) that would justify choosing it over the 901?

Hi I did not do AB specifically for these two devices extensively. I recall I can hear substantial sound improvement over dx50, the sound in all aspects is cleaner and fine tuned even to my untrained ears. Its definitely not placebo effect nor cable tweaking type improvement.

The ideal world would be put 901 sound in DX50 body with AK type firmware and market it at 6-700usd... So everyone goes home happy and less head fi forum visit to search for gear..LoL i can only dream on

Sep 8, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #505 of 18,652
I'm sure someone has the DX100, how much better is the DX100 than the DX50? I want one of them its just one thing 1000.00 vs. 240.00! That's a huge difference and wondering if its worth that much.

Sep 8, 2013 at 8:15 PM Post #508 of 18,652
I'm sure someone has the DX100, how much better is the DX100 than the DX50? I want one of them its just one thing 1000.00 vs. 240.00! That's a huge difference and wondering if its worth that much.

Hadn't heard DX100, but I doubt that DX50 is four times worse, I seriously do. Theorycrafting here, hadn't heard DX50 yet, but my guess is that there's very audible difference between both iBasso DAPs, as I remember DX100 quite well, excellent SQ indeed. Up to you if you want to spend another 760$ for it. I'd go with DX50 and invest rest of the sum in some custom IEM's.

Sep 8, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #509 of 18,652
Hadn't heard DX100, but I doubt that DX50 is four times worse, I seriously do. Theorycrafting here, hadn't heard DX50 yet, but my guess is that there's very audible difference between both iBasso DAPs, as I remember DX100 quite well, excellent SQ indeed. Up to you if you want to spend another 760$ for it. I'd go with DX50 and invest rest of the sum in some custom IEM's.

That's what I was thinking. Yeah I made a mistake in price, but either way that's a big price difference. I think, but not positive as I always buy more but if I buy this Dx50 I think I'm going to hold off buying anymore daps for awhile. I will Never stop buying latest and greatest IEMs. But four daps should be enough.

Sep 8, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #510 of 18,652

You just said you haven't heard the DX100 but went on implying that you have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back