The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Sep 7, 2013 at 2:05 AM Post #211 of 18,652
This is the iBasso DX50 Review from Asia friend who owned the actual DX50.
I guess it is worth to share here in this forum:

Built:
Solid, good finishing, the case of the battery cover sits very nicely with no squeaky sound, tactile buttons is makes it easy to navigate. Brush metal is welcomed, as it is more resistant to scratches. Slightly smaller than iPod classic. Basic resolution for the screen.

Sound signature:
Sparkling but smooth highs
Tight and impactful bass
Very good separation
Wide soundstage
Good volume control

Compared to Fiio X3, the DX50 has:
Better presentation of highs n soundstage.
Better details retrieval.
Slightly laid back (similar to dx100)
X3 lack depth n width, separation is not as good as dx50.

Software:
Some of my .m4a tracks cannot be played.
The track is running, but there's no sound coming out. When I skip tracks, (those that are playable) the same thing happens. Need a restart to rectify it.
Long scanning time, w/o indication of progress.

Verdict:
The DX50 sounds very nice, coupled with tactile buttons, SD card options and removable batteries. Price performance ration is also very reasonable. Base on my impression of the DX100. There is some similarity between the 2. 

Not that X3 is inferior, since it cost lesser, my expectations of X3 is lower as well. If the comparison is strictly base on my preferred sound signature, I'd give my vote to DX50.

Sep 7, 2013 at 4:20 AM Post #213 of 18,652
My 2nd batch DX50 has arrived just now, and must say very very nice aesthetically.

Looks more like a $500 DAP..........

Good job iBasso
bigsmile_face.gif

Sep 7, 2013 at 4:28 AM Post #214 of 18,652
  My 2nd batch DX50 has arrived just now, and must say very very nice aesthetically.

Looks more like a $500 DAP..........

Good job iBasso
bigsmile_face.gif

spkrs did you get an email with your tracking number or an email to say iBasso have sent it?

Sep 7, 2013 at 4:37 AM Post #216 of 18,652

Just curious, how much more did you pay for express?  I paid the standard shipping fee of $30 (I think) and my package was shipped DHL Express Worldwide.  I received notification from DHL today that my package is expected to be delivered on Monday.  If only iBasso was able to ship out the package just one day earlier then I could've had it today and didn't have to pay extra for shipping besides the standard cost.

The standard fee is the express option.   They didn't give buyers at least for the first batch an option to use a cheaper slower shipping method.   Slower standard shipping was grayed out.  I think everyone basically paid extra for express shipping.  Standard (non-express) shipping would take at least a full week for international mail - and sometimes significantly longer.

Sep 7, 2013 at 4:43 AM Post #218 of 18,652
any chances of rockbox coming out for this? current interface selecting music is close to impossible.

Is rockbox really better than this? I don't see people clamoring for rockbox with ak100 or ak120 and the navigation is basically identical to what dx50 offers.... I surely prefer this over rockbox'ed ipc re navigation. Then maybe I had not been using rockbox for to long and not gotten very used to that yet so ymmv.

Sep 7, 2013 at 4:44 AM Post #219 of 18,652
Sep 7, 2013 at 4:46 AM Post #220 of 18,652

spkrs did you get an email with your tracking number or an email to say iBasso have sent it?

NO...

Like I said in the earlier post, I just received a call from the local couriers, SFExpress that I had a package...........

Listening on hi gain with my IEMs, I am finding a sweet, relaxed sonic presentation, slightly warm but very easy listening. 

Edit:
Initial out of the box thoughts

Sep 7, 2013 at 4:47 AM Post #221 of 18,652
Rockbox on the 601 was actually pretty nice. Just it had too many bugs for me to stick to it. On the Fuze (V2) it was also too buggy and I didn't like the UI compared to Sansas stock UI. But there are a lot of options to customize it and I can see the appeal for it.

Sep 7, 2013 at 4:48 AM Post #222 of 18,652

It sounds like iBasso just gave you the wrong tracking number by mistake.  It happens all the time when retailers print their own labels.  I also doubt there has been any delay.   I don't think anyone in the US has received one yet.  I ordered within minutes of it going on sale, and mine is scheduled for delivery on Monday. 

DHL does not deliver on weekends in the US. 

I suppose that is possible.  However, the original tracking number had the right destination and my name.

I think there was a delay.  I received my tracking number on Tuesday, which means I should have received the package by Friday.  Instead, I got a new tracking number that indicated that the package was not sent out until late Thursday.   In addition, I just read someone got their 2nd batch order.

Sep 7, 2013 at 4:51 AM Post #223 of 18,652
NO...

Like I said in the earlier post, I just received a call from the local couriers, SFExpress that I had a package...........

Listening on hi gain with my IEMs, I am finding a sweet, relaxed sonic presentation, slightly warm but very easy listening.  

I find high gain gives warmer sound and lusher mids for vocal. Low gain sounded more neutral to me and preferred for instrumental jazz and classicals... tho I am not absolutely sure yet if the warmth is purely due to the gain setting or have run-in make it warmer (personally I don't put much stock in running in but it could be a factor)

Sep 7, 2013 at 4:54 AM Post #224 of 18,652
I generally find higher gain settings to bring things closer and even thickens the sound somewhat. Particularly vocals stick out more when I use gain settings. Bass also seems to have more omph to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back