The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Jul 6, 2015 at 8:22 PM Post #17,521 of 18,652
Well just to let you guys know that i wont be able to test at least for a good while as i my house was robbed last week and they took the player among other things.

Jul 6, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #17,522 of 18,652

Let me know if I can help further.

Hey Paul!

I send a message to B&H. The answer was pretty dissapointing.

Hello John, my name is Adrian Y: 

I am sorry that the item is not working for you. Unfortunately, it is passed our 30 day return policy and therefore, you would need to deal directly with the manufacturer and take advantage of the 1 year warranty. Have a wonderful day. 

Please let us know if you require any further assistance. 

Thank you, 

Adrian Y 
B&H Photo Video and Pro Audio 
The Professional's Source. 
E-Mail Customer Service Department 
http://www.bhphotovideo.com 

So please, let me know how to "take advantage of the 1 year warranty".

Thanks in advance.

Jul 6, 2015 at 8:57 PM Post #17,523 of 18,652
  Hi! First post here.

Has anyone else had any problem with the new firmware v1.9.3, please? I have some hi res files in .dsf format that play under dsd64 codec in foobar and previously played on my DX50 and sounded brilliant (except for gapless not working on that format, yet it worked on all other formats).

I was expecting these files to show as 24bit 88kHz when I played them on the new firmware but instead they played as 1bit and a crazy number of kHz.  I've emailed iBasso twice and not had a response so I wondered if anyone here could suggest anything to re-install v1.9.3 correctly, please?

Currently, I've reverted to firmware 1.9.2 and I do follow the instructions for firmware installation very carefully and not had any problems before when I've upgraded the firmware.

Any help or suggestions will be much appreciated! Many thanks in advance.

Did you do a factory reset after updating the FW? I will report this to the SW team. Are there certain files that work and some that don't work or is it all of them?

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Jul 6, 2015 at 10:59 PM Post #17,527 of 18,652
  looks like i'm not the only one... the music still plays though... 
here is the photo i took when playing dsd files..

So latest firmware plays DSD without issues?
Shame I use the DX50 as a digital transport through the coaxial because I'm pretty sure it only outputs up to 24bit/192Khz.

Jul 6, 2015 at 11:10 PM Post #17,528 of 18,652
  So latest firmware plays DSD without issues?
Shame I use the DX50 as a digital transport through the coaxial because I'm pretty sure it only outputs up to 24bit/192Khz.

Yes it does... actually if i'm not wrong since FW1.2 onwards it will play dsd...
actually i did not encounter any issues for playback as long as its supported...
soon my DX will become a transport too... D14 BushMaster is in my eyes now...

Jul 6, 2015 at 11:55 PM Post #17,529 of 18,652

Thanks ph0n6, yes I´ll PM Paul. I just hope I can fix this without spending too much extra money.

I will PM you shortly.

That is the size of the DSD file. It is displaying correctly.

Jul 7, 2015 at 5:01 AM Post #17,531 of 18,652

Did you do a factory reset after updating the FW? I will report this to the SW team. Are there certain files that work and some that don't work or is it all of them?

Hi Paul,

Thanks for responding! I did indeed do a factory reset after updating the FW.

I use mainly flac and they seem to show, and play, correctly with gapless playback functioning ok.

There's a photo in a later post than mine that shows someone playing a DSD file and the display says 1bit 2822.4kHz.  That's how my DSF files are displaying as well.  The trouble is that they sound muffled and gapless playback is not working.  I expected these files to sound at least the same and for the display to read 24 bit 88kHz as the release notes say that DSD64 codecs will play as that.

I tried installing the new firmware again after making my first post and got exactly the same results as I've described. I also did the factory reset and deleted the image file after the update.

To be honest, I've had my player a little over a year and I've always loved how it sounds and each firmware upgrade (it came with v1.2.8 installed) has gone smoothly with improvements working as they should. I'm somewhat perplexed that this time things haven't gone as expected. I've gone back to v1.9.2 for the time being.

I look forward to any further help you, or others, can provide.

Many thanks!

Jul 7, 2015 at 7:06 AM Post #17,532 of 18,652

Yes it does... actually if i'm not wrong since FW1.2 onwards it will play dsd...
actually i did not encounter any issues for playback as long as its supported...
soon my DX will become a transport too... D14 BushMaster is in my eyes now...

No the DX50 can't "really" play DSD. It's outputting it into a 24/88 PCM stream. If you use a DSD64 (2,8 Mhz) or a DSD128 (5,6 Mhz) music file, it never outputs the DSD content, because there is no hardware support for native playback. As long a coaxial output don't support DoP, no higher output than 24/192 is possible to an external DAC/AMP. But reagardless if a FLAC file or a DSD if the mastering of the recordning from the source is the same, it will sound the same.

Jul 7, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #17,534 of 18,652
  Sorry for stupid question but what is DoP?

DSD over PCM. It allows for a work around so that a dac that is equipped to handle the higher resolution can play the DSD file. It used to be debated that DoP was not the same as playing the DSD file but it has proved to be the same and works well. You can also look up DoP on the web and get a more in depth explanation.

Jul 7, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #17,535 of 18,652

That is the correct bit/sample rate information for DSD. It samples 1 bit at 2.8224 MHz (i.e. 2822.4 kHz). It's a pulse-width sort of thing--totally different from PCM, 24bit/48kHz or otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back