The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Jun 22, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #17,416 of 18,652
  Maorijoe, what settings are You using from bootup menu with SUEX? It is based on original 1.2.2.

Yep, that's right, 1.2.2. I just looked and noticed that you can see that on my photo of the DX50 with the HE400i from yesterday - it shows ver. 1.2.2 but it actually is SUEX.

I second the question Maorijoe - do you personally prefer the IIR turned on or off and do you find any difference between the two settings?

Thanks!

Jun 22, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #17,417 of 18,652
I can repeat what is my opinion and I will not comment this graph as I don't find the results your measurement produced correct.

and you were absolutely right .........but you already know that:)

I incorrectly used the Right Mark Audio analyzer and used a generated swept tone produced by wavelab, this was not going to bring anything accurate!

Could not leave this undone as I wanted to at least do a correct test of the 3 gain settings. (and then leave it alone!)

So here is the result:

and also THD:

Jun 22, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #17,418 of 18,652
This thread is sounding less like firmware discussion for a $240 dap, and more like a programming discussion for landing a craft on the moon. 
biggrin.gif

Seriously, I envy you guys that are so knowledgeable about these firmware updates!

Jun 22, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #17,419 of 18,652
To answer Coil and Yanec im using no bootup settings on the Suex Firmware as i have gone back to 1.2.8
DX50 wouldnt turn on after i got back from club this morning.Got it going up to showing the ibasso logo,stayed locked on for 20sec then player crashed.Did a reboot logo came up again player still locked up on logo same thing again crashed,rebooted again and the player started working again,strange,tryed to change the bootup menu settings and they didnt work.So flashed Firmware 1.2.8.Didnt go and try to reflash Suex again.That was enough for me.Nice while it lasted but didnt want to play around with it anymore.
So all good one minute and then no good the next.So was buggy for me as well.Listerned to 1.2.8 for 30mins now off to bed 3.32am.

Jun 22, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #17,420 of 18,652
I warned You about SUEX crash issue 
wink.gif
 I know it sounds really good but... there`s this BUT...

Jun 22, 2015 at 10:18 PM Post #17,421 of 18,652
I was having that exact same issue which is why I switched. I wonder if 1.2.8 is better that DOCs Firmware...

Jun 23, 2015 at 3:54 AM Post #17,422 of 18,652
Those who really crave SUEX sound... only other way to get "same" sound is to change HO/LO capacitors to Vishay 038RSU series. That was closest configuration to SUEX while using neutral/balanced and open sounding FW like SU 1.3.3 imo.

Btw, I`m opening up my dx50 again soon to change some decoupling caps and probably HO opamps too.
I will stay on SU 1.3.3 and keep Panasonic FCs because imso they are best I`ve used and I really like that combination.
I`ll hear soon what other upgrades will bring ;P

Jun 23, 2015 at 7:25 AM Post #17,423 of 18,652
This thread is sounding less like firmware discussion for a $240 dap, and more like a programming discussion for landing a craft on the moon. 
biggrin.gif

Seriously, I envy you guys that are so knowledgeable about these firmware updates!

Hahahahaha, a good one! Actually this is a way to add "value" to the player. After all the DX50 was initially intended as a thing meant to entertain us just by playing music and now it's like a game-boy: put a new "game" on, try it, compare it - chat with the guys about it..:)

Jun 23, 2015 at 7:28 AM Post #17,424 of 18,652
To answer Coil and Yanec im using no bootup settings on the Suex Firmware as i have gone back to 1.2.8

DX50 wouldnt turn on after i got back from club this morning.Got it going up to showing the ibasso logo,stayed locked on for 20sec then player crashed.Did a reboot logo came up again player still locked up on logo same thing again crashed,rebooted again and the player started working again,strange,tryed to change the bootup menu settings and they didnt work.So flashed Firmware 1.2.8.Didnt go and try to reflash Suex again.That was enough for me.Nice while it lasted but didnt want to play around with it anymore.

So all good one minute and then no good the next.So was buggy for me as well.Listerned to 1.2.8 for 30mins now off to bed 3.32am.

OK this leaves me perhaps the sole and exclusive user of SU EX :)

Jun 23, 2015 at 7:35 AM Post #17,425 of 18,652
Until it crashes and causes problems 
wink.gif
 Another thing about SUEX is its functionality lacking compared to other newer FWs, USB DAC and L/R balance functions for example, if needed of course. 

Jun 23, 2015 at 8:13 AM Post #17,426 of 18,652
Until it crashes and causes problems 
wink.gif
 Another thing about SUEX is its functionality lacking compared to other newer FWs, USB DAC and L/R balance functions for example, if needed of course. 

C'mon man don't make it hear you and crash on me too! :)

It has been working with 0 issues for now and that is a long time. Besides USB DAC and L/R balance it also lacks the option to choose between slow or sharp cut-off filter. The cut-off filter is actually the only loss in my case as I use Ifi as USB DAC and never balance headphones.

Jun 23, 2015 at 8:21 AM Post #17,427 of 18,652
option to choose between slow or sharp cut-off filter

This FW implementation does not work on DX50, only DX90 
wink.gif
 Again, dmitry also said it and I trust him. I was also thinking it changed something but it was pseudo, I admit it.

Jun 23, 2015 at 8:27 AM Post #17,428 of 18,652
This FW implementation does not work on DX50, only DX90 
wink.gif
 Again, dmitry also said it and I trust him. I was also thinking it changed something but it was pseudo, I admit it.

It's strange that it has no effect..perhaps it has no effect only in Dmitri's FW? I am not totally sure about that but anyway - I personally never heard any signs of the cut-off change on the DX50 FWs that I have tried giving such an option. I have tried such or similar filter in other devices and it delivers noticeable change unlike the DX50 so he may be right. Regarding the DX90 - It is logical to implement this option with ESS DACs as they really need it in my humble opinion...but then again I would never buy a source/dac using ESS chip for myself.

Jun 23, 2015 at 9:17 AM Post #17,429 of 18,652
Sound Unlocked 1.40
Coil,Yanec i couldnt listern much to FW 1.28 this morning longing for SUEX.So i Flashed SU1.40
Settings:Flac ,irr off,EQ off.Been listerning all day very impressed very open sound.Tried irr on but preffered it off just like on SUEX

Jun 23, 2015 at 9:43 AM Post #17,430 of 18,652
You should try 1.3.3 ...it has littlebit better soundstage width and separation imo. Though, 1.4 is also very good sounding :wink: But is all depends on HP/IEM matching also.
I also use IIR off and CPU default.

Btw, I forgot what HP/IEM are You using with DX50?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back