The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
May 22, 2015 at 5:55 AM Post #17,041 of 18,652
HP cable = headphone cable.

Because 1.6 is not tweaked firmware and have probably other bootup sequence and settings or something like that. No need to worry.
Just make sure You try following settings from hidden bootup menu: FLAC / IIr off / CPU default.
Enjoy! :wink:

May 22, 2015 at 6:00 AM Post #17,042 of 18,652
  HP cable = headphone cable.

Because 1.6 is not tweaked firmware and have probably other bootup sequence and settings or something like that. No need to worry.
Just make sure You try following settings from hidden bootup menu: FLAC / IIr off / CPU default.
Enjoy! :wink:

I will be trying out 
2) FLAC-only + irr ON + CPU 312kHz --- closer, more intimate and clearer imaging with little more separation in width.
First.

Thank you for your answer! It relief me a lot hahahaha..

May 23, 2015 at 8:33 AM Post #17,043 of 18,652
Hi fellas,

Just wanted to chime in and rant some about my latest purchase...

So I received the DX50 a couple of days ago, with stock firmware 1.6

Contrary to what I was expecting after having read the forums extensively, I found the UI smooth as silk, bug-free and had no trouble at all using it with any of my micro-SD cards, music scans working flawlessly and fast too.

Contrary to what I was expecting too, I found the sound quality to be... erm... lacking... to be polite.
Lack of dynamic, no sub-bass at all, blurry, congested sound, and just plain tiring to listen to after minutes.

I don't know why and how, but that's a fact : with the stock FW, I couldn't bear listening to it (through headphone's out). And believe me, I did try to like it : switched headphones, cables, tried all sorts of musics and file formats too.

With coax out through my home DAC and headphone amp, it sounded fine though.

So, before returning it to the seller, I decided to try third party firmwares... Now I have to be honest with y'all I didn't believe it would make any difference at all. Just couldn't see how changes in software could affect SQ... battery life, UI, responsiveness yes, but not SQ.

Anyway, after making sure it was easily reversible, I loaded Doc2008's DX50_NEW_DOC'S_FAVORITE_FIRMWARE_SURROUND_EDITION_FINAL, his, I reckon, latest firmware.
(Automatic translation from russian forum : http://www.microsofttranslator.com/bv.aspx?from=ru&to=en&a=http%3A%2F%2Fplayer.ru%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D139417%26p%3D1542852%26viewfull%3D1%23post1542852 )

Man !!!

All of a sudden I now have a proper sounding DAP !

This is night and day compared with the stock firmware. Seriously. Everything that was lacking sound-wise is back. It now sounds powerful, dynamic and smooth at the same time. Maybe it still lacks just a little tiny bit in the sub-bass department compared to my home rig, but if that's not my mind playing tricks on me then it is really a subtle difference.

I'm really curious to know what software engineering tricks did Doc2008 use to bring this DAP back to life, or rather, what poor engineering practices did the guys at Ibasso use to make such a fine piece of hardware sound so bad with stock FW.

I've been listening to Doc's FW for a couple hours only, and I might want to try others from Doc2008 or the Sound Unlocked one later on to see if it can be even better, but I'm having a hard time digging any proper and concise info on all these.

Anyway the conclusion is, to any DX50 newcomers, don't hesitate to switch firmwares, it's easy and it does make a difference.

May 23, 2015 at 8:46 AM Post #17,044 of 18,652
no sub bass at all, blurry, congested?  Tiring?
blink.gif
blink.gif
eek.gif
confused_face(1).gif

And the firmware cured EVERYTHING?
confused.gif
confused_face_2.gif
blink.gif

Welcome to brain burn in
L3000.gif

May 23, 2015 at 9:16 AM Post #17,045 of 18,652
Lol yeah I know what it seems like... Really I am very skeptical about lots of audio myths, but it's the truth. I wanted to return the thing without looking back and try a Fiio X3ii instead, and now I don't anymore. It's too bad I don't have two DX50 to switch between firmwares.

I know it might just be expectation bias as well though, but that's the way I feel about it for now and without proper ABX testing anyway we'll never know for sure right
dt880smile.png

Have you tried several firmwares yourself ?

May 23, 2015 at 10:02 AM Post #17,047 of 18,652
@cami , I recommend You to try NDFFF (not surround edition which isn`t so good imho) and definitely give a try to Sound Unlocked 1.3.3 with FLAC/ IIR off/ CPU default settings. 

May 23, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #17,048 of 18,652
Hi all...

So happy today after mod my DX50, change the caps with Blackgate, and the result? Wow, so musical, darker background, more clean and detail.. its perfect with SU 1.3.3 fw.

About the samsung batteries? YES, i do believe.. affect SQ but not much..

My friend mod the opamp too, but the result is less bass, but sounds very detail and more fun. And after pair with external amp, its sounds really darn Good! though its not portable anymore because an amp is a must.

Still seeking for new formula, but at this momment, i'm satisfy... Now my DX50 is more synergy with my DT770/80 and my Carbo Tenore iem.

Conclusion: DX50 + Mod + SU 1.3.3 + (maybe samsung battery?) =
dt880smile.png

Dont know why, but its true.. Fun but True

================================

@caml Really want to hear your opinion about Doc2008 VS SU 1.3.3 which one do you like better?

May 23, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #17,049 of 18,652
Where did you buy these, and how did you proceed ? :D

May 23, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #17,051 of 18,652
Well the HO might be the main issue here. LO with amp sounds way better. Coil have explained a page ago about this. I have compared the DX50 to the X3II and I can say that if you use HO don't go for the DX50, but through LO it really shines

May 23, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #17,052 of 18,652
Where did You/They find those BlackGate`s in correct value and size? They really hard to get. But I think Panasonic FC will also do great instead BG`s :wink:

May 23, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #17,053 of 18,652
He said from Japan, he has many stock, but he never use Panasonic. He has modded lot of DX50 consumers, so he know what he's doing from trial and error, he has 2 mod style, basic and advance, basic is only change the caps which he knows very well, depend on consumers want their sounds like. And the advance mod is change the opamp too and many more which i dont know, but when i  listened the DX50 with advance mod (which belong to my friend), it sound really nice..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back