The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Jan 27, 2015 at 7:09 PM Post #16,216 of 18,652

so 1.1.0 and 1.2.0 have two differences:
1. rockbox PCM initialization params are same as Mango(it provides more sound details, the difference is subtle, same as iir_bandwidth for example. so I don't wanna discuss this with "direct-DAC" guys. it's annoying :) ).

That`s good.
2. rolloff_speed set to "slow", so the sound become less "tight". (this was hardcoded in 1.2.0 firmware, 1.1.0 was "fast" but see below)

Great, I`ve always used slow roll-off.

Just to be clear - RSU 1.0.0 is based on official 1.6 firmware? RSU 1.1.0 & 1.2.0 are based on official 1.2.0 ? If so, then going to try RSU 1.0.0 and 1.2.0 sometime soon. 
I`m guessing RSU 1.2.0 will be better because I liked SUEX 1.2.0 sound. Still, despite RSU using pre-installed theme, I`m not sure if I`m going to like UI more than Mango but we`ll see :wink:

When he said "this was hardcoded in 1.2.0 firmware" I'm pretty sure he means Rockbox 1.2.0, not SUEX. If you saw him say somewhere else that it was based off of SU EX then let me know! Because that was my favorite sounding firmware BY FAR! :)

Jan 27, 2015 at 7:14 PM Post #16,217 of 18,652

1. rockbox PCM initialization params are same as Mango(it provides more sound details, the difference is subtle, same as iir_bandwidth for example. so I don't wanna discuss this with "direct-DAC" guys. it's annoying :) ).

That`s good.
2. rolloff_speed set to "slow", so the sound become less "tight". (this was hardcoded in 1.2.0 firmware, 1.1.0 was "fast" but see below)

Great, I`ve always used slow roll-off.

Just to be clear - RSU 1.0.0 is based on official 1.6 firmware? RSU 1.1.0 & 1.2.0 are based on official 1.2.0 ? If so, then going to try RSU 1.0.0 and 1.2.0 sometime soon. 
I`m guessing RSU 1.2.0 will be better because I liked SUEX 1.2.0 sound. Still, despite RSU using pre-installed theme, I`m not sure if I`m going to like UI more than Mango but we`ll see :wink:

Rockbox is definitely not as east to use because the UI isn't labeled. What I mean is it doesn't tell you where to go to navigate to different parts of the UI when you are on the Now Playing screen. There are a plethora of themes you can download, but Mango will always be easier to use. I mainly use Rockbox for its Replaygain capabilities.

Jan 27, 2015 at 8:35 PM Post #16,218 of 18,652

anyway you could download this rockbox update(1.2.1) - https://mega.co.nz/#!LcE0gQQT!ACiWGUwu9aDbgR83JEUcU4Hrj1H5o8Cu5ciUvtKnR8E
and you be able to choose the rolloff speed "Settings -> Sound Settings -> Roll-off speed -> Slow/Fast"

This update can applied for any RSU version.

This rockbox build includes changes provided by ArgelErx(code reorganization, most of patches for DX50), Cholero (modern ui).

Since I have 1.1.0 I can just replace the files in my Rockbox folder, correct?

Jan 28, 2015 at 3:46 AM Post #16,219 of 18,652
What I mean is it doesn't tell you where to go to navigate to different parts of the UI when you are on the Now Playing screen.

See the information about pre-installed theme - http://themes.rockbox.org/index.php?themeid=2172&target=cowond2
For a start you only need return to the main menu, so you can touch the top of the screen OR use long-press PLAY button.

yep

Jan 28, 2015 at 4:56 AM Post #16,221 of 18,652
What do You mean about original firmware? I thought with SU it has always been working... or not? I compared this setting with older SU as I remember and then there seemed to be difference (very little though). Anyway, since that setting made no clearly noticeable difference, I have been using it all the time @ slow roll-off. Haven`t tested it with last SU firmwares.
But if You say that it is only enabled in this new RSU 1.2.0 and no earlier SU versions, then I probably had pseudo-effect.
Can You clarify what SU versions have it truly enabled so I could test it out?

Jan 28, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #16,222 of 18,652
What I mean is it doesn't tell you where to go to navigate to different parts of the UI when you are on the Now Playing screen.

See the information about pre-installed theme - http://themes.rockbox.org/index.php?themeid=2172&target=cowond2
For a start you only need return to the main menu, so you can touch the top of the screen OR use long-press PLAY button.

yep

I know how to navigate the UI. I was mostly saying that for everyone who was confused on the use of it :p

Jan 28, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #16,223 of 18,652
What do You mean about original firmware? I thought with SU it has always been working... or not? I compared this setting with older SU as I remember and then there seemed to be difference (very little though). Anyway, since that setting made no clearly noticeable difference, I have been using it all the time @ slow roll-off. Haven`t tested it with last SU firmwares.
But if You say that it is only enabled in this new RSU 1.2.0 and no earlier SU versions, then I probably had pseudo-effect.
Can You clarify what SU versions have it truly enabled so I could test it out?

I'm pretty sure he means original Rockbox.

Jan 28, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #16,224 of 18,652
I know how to navigate the UI. I was mostly saying that for everyone who was confused on the use of it :p

oh sorry :) , "Every rockbox newbie should see the information about .. " and so on.

What do You mean about original firmware?

Any stock original firmware doesn't have an implementation for the DF on DX50 platform. SU is based on the original firmware. So..

We already could see this through reading  MangoPlayer code source, but any programmer can trace MangoPlayer to prove it in another way. I did it, btw.

Jan 28, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #16,225 of 18,652
medmitry, thanks for answer. Now it is clear that any SU firmware or stock firmware does not have this DF option enabled/working. That`s what I was assuming and that`s why I didn`t hear clear difference between those options, so, I admit that it was just pseudo effect
redface.gif
 Any chance You could enable this in SU 1.3.3 ? PLEASE? 
biggrin.gif

Jan 29, 2015 at 12:15 AM Post #16,226 of 18,652
Hi guys,
I am having some trouble restoring my dx50 back to the original firmware. RKbatchtool does not seem to work and the version for the dx50 does not appear to be there anymore. I tried foolishly to update to the new rockbox FW just as I would the original FW. What can I do to revert back to stock firmware or get the rockbox to work  on my player?? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm getting desperate!!!

Jan 29, 2015 at 3:30 AM Post #16,227 of 18,652
  Hi guys,
I am having some trouble restoring my dx50 back to the original firmware. RKbatchtool does not seem to work and the version for the dx50 does not appear to be there anymore. I tried foolishly to update to the new rockbox FW just as I would the original FW. What can I do to revert back to stock firmware or get the rockbox to work  on my player?? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm getting desperate!!!

RK is still your best option.   Be specific about what didn't work.  Did you install the drivers first?

Jan 29, 2015 at 7:42 AM Post #16,228 of 18,652
  Hi guys,

Are you using win 8.1?

Jan 29, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #16,229 of 18,652
I am using windows 7. I emailed iBasso and got the current link for rkbatchtool for the dx50

http://www.ibasso.com/uploadfiles/download/RKbatchtool_for_DX50.zip

I tried to update the drivers but it is telling me that windows has determined the best driver is already installed. I then try to update it via rkbatchtool and I cannot get the box to turn green. It is pink, and then when I hit "switch" the device turns off and it is not recognized at all by the computer. Do I need to uninstall the driver and then install the new one provided?

Jan 29, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #16,230 of 18,652
Ok, I somehow updated the driver and got my dx50 running again. Still not sure how, lol. 
Think I'll stay away from rockbox for a bit as I'm probably not computer savvy enough to install it. 
Thanks for putting up with me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back