The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Jan 20, 2015 at 7:12 AM Post #16,171 of 18,652
  Hi
Recently purchased iBasso dx50 after reading reviews on head-fi and was wondering if someone could help me...
When using in-ear headphones paired with my iBasso dx50 the sound is brilliant, but when I use my Grado SR 80's I loose a lot of quality. i.e.; specific instruments and sounds within the songs are simply not there.
Do I need to purchase a portable amp?
Any advice..?

SR80 don't mind some power. Have you tried flicking the gain switch on the bottom of DX50 to medium or high? You can try a portable amp but its only going amplify the original signal. its not going to put something there that isn't already.

Jan 20, 2015 at 8:44 AM Post #16,172 of 18,652
  Hi
Recently purchased iBasso dx50 after reading reviews on head-fi and was wondering if someone could help me...
When using in-ear headphones paired with my iBasso dx50 the sound is brilliant, but when I use my Grado SR 80's I loose a lot of quality. i.e.; specific instruments and sounds within the songs are simply not there.
Do I need to purchase a portable amp?
Any advice..?

for the amp i think alo national (if you like bright you can try anlo national+) was good, it will improve so much, i already try amp around $100 there no any amp was good enough to pair with dx50.
and replace the cup to rosewood cup.

Jan 20, 2015 at 8:52 AM Post #16,173 of 18,652
Hello Everyone,
I would really welcome some advice on a faulty DX50. I had a whole week's worth of quality audio before the player developed a number of problems.
It seems to boot but the screen flickers badly and is heavily pixelated with areas displaying little or no image. The screen then goes black after 1 or 2 seconds and I can’t get it to read the microSD card holding my music library. I have removed the SD card but it makes no difference, In short, the player is unusable.
The battery is fully charged and I've taken it out, cleaned the connection pins and reinserted it without any difference. I’ve also tried several factory resets – I’m not sure if these complete but, in any case, they seem to make no difference.
I've contracted iBasso for help but would welcome any suggestions if anyone has encountered these symptoms already. Firmware is 1.6.0.
Thanks,
Rob

Jan 20, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #16,174 of 18,652
So, I finally got the Sound Unlocked 1.4.0 firmware to work, though I'm still experiencing one problem (I'll get to that in a minute).

First, I'm really liking the "IRR on" + "CPU 312" setting.  Can someone explain to me what IRR is, and what the different CPU settings do?  I am curious.  I can't seem to find any information on it in this thread, though perhaps I didn't search properly.

Second, I am still experiencing one problem.  And specifically it's the problem of each file/track reading "0 kbit, 0.00 kHz" and no sound coming out of the player, but now it only happens when I first turn the player on.  I'm listening in Shuffle mode, and each time I turn the player off and turn it back on again, I cannot continue listening to the track that I was listening to or move forward or backward in the shuffle because the files/tracks read "0 kbit, 0.00 kHz."  I have to go back into "All Music," select a new track, and start the shuffle process again, and then it will work OK.  Anyone know what the problem is?

Jan 20, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #16,175 of 18,652
It`s actually called IIR: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinite_impulse_response
Different CPU settings will lock CPU to certain frequency but I can`t explain technically how it affects sound. All I know from testing different settings is that with CPU default (variable) sound is more dynamic. With locked higher frequency it gets harsher with highs and loses dynamics. 
About Your problem, I think there are something wrong with some of Your files tags metadata. I had similar problem with one FLAC album and fault was in metadata (btw, thanks for helping Dmitry!). I re-ripped that CD with EAC and after that everything was ok. Previous rip was done with different program long time ago.

Jan 20, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #16,176 of 18,652
  It`s actually called IIR: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinite_impulse_response
Different CPU settings will lock CPU to certain frequency but I can`t explain technically how it affects sound. All I know from testing different settings is that with CPU default (variable) sound is more dynamic. With locked higher frequency it gets harsher with highs and loses dynamics. 
About Your problem, I think there are something wrong with some of Your files tags metadata. I had similar problem with one FLAC album and fault was in metadata (btw, thanks for helping Dmitry!). I re-ripped that CD with EAC and after that everything was ok. Previous rip was done with different program long time ago.

I don't think it's a tag issue.  I rip all of my files with EAC and tag them properly with MP3Tag before putting them on my player.  These same files have been played for years on a FiiO X3, an iPod Nano, a Sansa Clip Zip, a Rockboxed Sansa Clip+, and a Sansa Fuze, and there have never been any problems before.  And the FiiO player is notorious for exhibiting playback problems with improperly-tagged files.

The CPU Default setting sounds a lot like the FiiO X3, in my opinion.  I think the CPU 312 setting is clearer and more detailed, though it can also be harsher on certain material.  And I actually think it sounds less dynamic on the CPU Default setting than on the CPU 312 setting.   Like the FiiO X3, the CPU default setting seems like it is trying hard to hold back the sound from being dynamic and explosive in the interest of imparting a warm tone and smoothing out some peaks.  Both approaches have their merits. 

Jan 20, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #16,177 of 18,652
  Hello Everyone,
I would really welcome some advice on a faulty DX50. I had a whole week's worth of quality audio before the player developed a number of problems.
It seems to boot but the screen flickers badly and is heavily pixelated with areas displaying little or no image. The screen then goes black after 1 or 2 seconds and I can’t get it to read the microSD card holding my music library. I have removed the SD card but it makes no difference, In short, the player is unusable.
The battery is fully charged and I've taken it out, cleaned the connection pins and reinserted it without any difference. I’ve also tried several factory resets – I’m not sure if these complete but, in any case, they seem to make no difference.
I've contracted iBasso for help but would welcome any suggestions if anyone has encountered these symptoms already. Firmware is 1.6.0.
Thanks,
Rob

I remembered there was one guy in the thread who had an issue with static electric with the silicon case and "fryed" the screen and he had the thing replaced but it doesn't seem to fix the issue if I remember correctly. Not sure I have seen anyone with SD card problem here.

Jan 20, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #16,178 of 18,652
Found MediaMonkey to work well. But with even more flexibility with this add-on:

http://solair.eunet.rs/~zvezdand/ExportM3UsForSubNodes.htm

I do playlist for my Android car radio, my DX50, my spouse X1, UpnP boxes etc.

Preview: http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/9053/l80.png

Zak

Jan 20, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #16,179 of 18,652

Quote:

The CPU Default setting sounds a lot like the FiiO X3, in my opinion.  I think the CPU 312 setting is clearer and more detailed, though it can also be harsher on certain material.  And I actually think it sounds less dynamic on the CPU Default setting than on the CPU 312 setting.   Like the FiiO X3, the CPU default setting seems like it is trying hard to hold back the sound from being dynamic and explosive in the interest of imparting a warm tone and smoothing out some peaks.  Both approaches have their merits. 

I think it`s about headphones/IEMs being used, source material and personal preference/hearing also.
Imo CPU 312 + IIR ON has more closer and intimate soundstage/imaging (creates also feel of more clearer and detailed sound).
CPU default + IIR OFF has more open, layered soundstage/imaging and more dynamics, especially in highs region and more depth and separation towards front.
Very roughly said, it`s like comparing closed HP to open HP. But this is just my subjective opinion after lot of testing (before and after caps upgrade).
If the other option works for You better, then good for You. That`s why SU is so great with its different options
wink.gif

With some music I also use CPU 312 + IIR on, but that`s only with external speakers. With Fidelio X1 I use CPU default + IIR off, always finding it better.
Btw, CPU default can`t hold anything "back", it`s on variable speed (If I remember correctly it was up to ~800kHz) and reacts according to music data as much as I know. I guess that`s also reason why it sounds more dynamic option for me. Though, would be great if Dmitry clarifies/comments on that.

What headphones / IEMs are You using?

Originally Posted by steelglam /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't think it's a tag issue.  I rip all of my files with EAC and tag them properly with MP3Tag before putting them on my player.  These same files have been played for years on a FiiO X3, an iPod Nano, a Sansa Clip Zip, a Rockboxed Sansa Clip+, and a Sansa Fuze, and there have never been any problems before.  And the FiiO player is notorious for exhibiting playback problems with improperly-tagged files.

Maybe, maybe not. For example Mp3tag couldn`t fix my FLAC metadata problem with re-tagging.

Jan 20, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #16,181 of 18,652
So, I finally got the Sound Unlocked 1.4.0 firmware to work, though I'm still experiencing one problem (I'll get to that in a minute).

First, I'm really liking the "IRR on" + "CPU 312" setting.  Can someone explain to me what IRR is, and what the different CPU settings do?  I am curious.  I can't seem to find any information on it in this thread, though perhaps I didn't search properly.

Second, I am still experiencing one problem.  And specifically it's the problem of each file/track reading "0 kbit, 0.00 kHz" and no sound coming out of the player, but now it only happens when I first turn the player on.  I'm listening in Shuffle mode, and each time I turn the player off and turn it back on again, I cannot continue listening to the track that I was listening to or move forward or backward in the shuffle because the files/tracks read "0 kbit, 0.00 kHz."  I have to go back into "All Music," select a new track, and start the shuffle process again, and then it will work OK.  Anyone know what the problem is?

Maybe you have FLAC selected in the boot-up menu and you are trying to play MP3 files?

Jan 20, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #16,182 of 18,652
Maybe you have FLAC selected in the boot-up menu and you are trying to play MP3 files?

No, I have "all" selected.  Earlier, I had FLAC selected, and that was causing the same problem, but in that case, the problem happened all the time and no matter what I did.  Now the problem is only happening when I first turn on the player; it won't play the track that I was last playing before I turned off the player, nor any of the tracks that are scheduled to follow; I have to go back into the directory and start the process over again.

Jan 20, 2015 at 6:28 PM Post #16,183 of 18,652
latest rockbox build for RSU -> https://mega.co.nz/#!GMNUSTDR!AE5NhJqnqt_FoXGNWhLeFzizxfhZbRI-ttvc9dFNSYA
applied most of patches described in this post (modern UI, battery level improvements, governor fix) + changes from rockbox "master" branch 
added "IIR bandwidth" settings to "Sound settings".

will be work with any RSU version, you should extract content of archive to the root of your DX50 internal drive.
do not delete previous .rockbox folder! just merge the content(replace old files).

Jan 21, 2015 at 1:17 AM Post #16,184 of 18,652

No, I have "all" selected.  Earlier, I had FLAC selected, and that was causing the same problem, but in that case, the problem happened all the time and no matter what I did.  Now the problem is only happening when I first turn on the player; it won't play the track that I was last playing before I turned off the player, nor any of the tracks that are scheduled to follow; I have to go back into the directory and start the process over again.

Medmitry might have a solution for you! He knows made about it than anyone :)

latest rockbox build for RSU -> https://mega.co.nz/#!GMNUSTDR!AE5NhJqnqt_FoXGNWhLeFzizxfhZbRI-ttvc9dFNSYA
applied most of patches described in this post (modern UI, battery level improvements, governor fix) + changes from rockbox "master" branch 
added "IIR bandwidth" settings to "Sound settings".

will be work with any RSU version, you should extract content of archive to the root of your DX50 internal drive.
do not delete previous .rockbox folder! just merge the content(replace old files).

I can't wait to update! All your work and dedication really means a lot :)

How is your new DAP?

Jan 21, 2015 at 2:46 AM Post #16,185 of 18,652
  Hello Everyone,
Thanks,
Rob

I think the only software thing left to try is to reinstall the firmware.

Also, if you are using a silicone case, this can lead to static electricity that could harm your device - including the screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back