The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Jan 18, 2015 at 7:05 AM Post #16,141 of 18,652

Ok,

i will prepare the test, I have a meet with two other senior head-fiers on Friday so I will do the test with them blind :wink: Let's see what they hear.

We will have the following setup:

- DX50
- DX90
- X5
- AK100 Mk2
- AK100/Gloveaudio A1
- AK120
- HE901

I will install the SU 1.3.3 then and do a quick test now if I manage. 

Cheers,
K

No love for the AP100?

Jan 18, 2015 at 7:19 AM Post #16,142 of 18,652
  No love for the AP100?

Not this Friday - we have way too many players for the 3 of us - we are all crazy addicted.

Although with the latest temporary price drop it could be a very interesting player...

Cheers,
K

Jan 18, 2015 at 7:28 AM Post #16,143 of 18,652
  Then use "Lossless only" setting with SU. IIR still off and CPU @ default. I would really appreciate (and some other ppl also) if You`d do this comparing again.
I was thinking about maybe buying X5 in future but after comparing upgraded DX50 (SU FW + Panasonic FC HO/LO capacitors) with A/B switch to my upgraded Aune T1 (60`s Siemens E88CC grey shield goldpin + ELNA SilmicII / Panasonic FR capacitors) and finding out that there`s basically no difference, I`m probably going to abandon this idea. Especially You mentioning it being damn close when using stock 1.6 FW with stock caps.

Ok, so I installed SU 1.3.3 how do I change the settings: "Lossless only" setting with SU. IIR still off and CPU @ default

Jan 18, 2015 at 7:30 AM Post #16,144 of 18,652

Sound Unlocked has "Hidden" bootup menu. To access it You must:

1) Turn OFF DX50 
2) Slide HOLD button to ON/LOCKED position
3) Turn ON DX50 while hold button is still ON/LOCKED position
4) You will lauch into bootup menu where You can select different settings. Choose what You prefer.
    I recommend to start with FLAC/irr off/cpu default (for large airy soundstage) or FLAC/irr on/cpu 312 (for more intimate/foward soundstage)
5) Slide hold button to OFF position and player will return into UI using settings You selected. They will stay regardless restart/turn on-off until You change them.

1) FLAC-only + irr OFF + CPU performance default --- more depth towards front/middle and vocals for example more out of headstage.
    More airy soundstage/imaging and more dynamics.

2) FLAC-only + irr ON + CPU 312kHz --- closer, more intimate and clearer imaging with little more separation in width.

...or test Your own setting and find what fits best, these are just 2 main different sounding settings to start with.

Jan 18, 2015 at 8:27 AM Post #16,145 of 18,652

Ok now...

I don't know if it's fatigue or whatever. But I listened to a few tracks from Royksopps Inevitable End and I had this setup:

That's:
AK100 Mk2 FW 2.41
DX50 SU1.3.3 IRR off, lossless, cpu default (also: new Samsung S3 battery)
X5 FW 2.40

I listened to FLAC in 16/44.1 and I set the DX50 to the settings you recommended. 

All listening tests were done with the Logitech UE900s Quad Balanced Armature IEM with gain on low for the AK100 and X5 and in the middle setting for the DX50.

There are differences. But I can't for the life of me describe them. Also, they were so small that I could not tell them apart. Whenever I thought "that's it, the Fiio" I opened my eyes and it was wrong. Probably my hit average was worse than random. 

What I can say:

- The AK100 had surprisingly the smallest soundstage (by a hair) - still all three had great soundstage.
- The AK100 had the smoothest sound, but not the most detail
- Overall the X5 and DX50 were amazing and certainly on par with the AK100Mk2 

Explanation of what I heard:
With all DAPs on the latest Firmwares (or the special one for the DX50) it seems they have all reached a level where I (emphasis on ME) cannot hear any meaningful difference that would allow me to identify a players signature reliably.

Why do I prefer listening to the AK100Mk2?
- I just bought it and need to justify the expense. 
- I like the user interface
- I like the Gloveaudio A1 (not part of this comparison) 

Do I think the DX50 and X5 have the same sound quality?
- with the tracks and headphones I listened to them (and the firmware and tweaks on the DX50): yes!
- different results though with the stock FW 1.6 on the DX50 

So overall I am a bit baffled - again - direct comparisons are mind blowing. All these lovely words of how I used to describe the differences made poooof and vanished. More time to enjoy the music, yeah!!

Closing remark:
We are blessed that we reached this level of performance with DAPs that only cost $249 (amazon) for the DX50 and even the AK100Mk2 is "only" 50k JPY = $420 now. The X5 can be had for $350.

You won't be disappointed with any of these players. If you need a performance boost, just buy a Cayin C5 and connect it via line out - boom. 

I will repeat the whole thing with my friends who, without doubt, have better ears than mine and are used to better equipment than me, so they  might be able to discern the differences better. 

Cheers,
K

Jan 18, 2015 at 8:34 AM Post #16,146 of 18,652
I hope You are going to use SU FW on DX50 with Your friends too
wink.gif
 Thanks for Your mini-review!
Seems that DAPs are finally coming to point where UI, functions, connectivity, battery life and comfort/simplicity make the final decision for user.

One question more, does Cayin C5 also improves DX50 like in case with X5 ? I`ve read some impressions on CC5 and some of them left me littlebit confused about soundstage improvement/decrease. I quess it`s about different HPs/IEMs/sources being used. Anyway, You made me thinking again about buying CC5 -.-
Though, with DX50 upgrades I don`t feel any need for amp... but... You know there`s that but.

Jan 18, 2015 at 10:09 AM Post #16,147 of 18,652
report after mod hardware for dx50
i think i like su more than before bcause it feel like dx50 paired with alo national
i love it direct to dx50 now, no more cut off on the bass, sound staging more wide, vocal more intimate, high became sparkling and more micro detail
capasitor used was 2 black gate capasitor (secret where it placed) and 6 panasonic capasitor (4 for head amp and 2 was on line out)

Jan 18, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #16,148 of 18,652
@B3H3M0T , what exact Panasonic capacitors did You use? And I`m guessing those black gates are used as HO-amps decoupling caps?

I`m not sure yet about LO caps since I`m very sensitive to highs and Panasonic FC might be too much for me. Don`t get me wrong, they sound very good but it`s just my personal hearing. Atm, I`m going to leave them for burning in for about week and hear if highs smooth out littlebit. 
With HO caps Panasonic FC are spot-on imho, not going to change those.

Jan 18, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #16,149 of 18,652
I have continued to try to no avail - has anyone figured out how to get a m3u playlist on the device to work?  I have tried copying exported ones from Musicbee to every directory possible on the player but simply can't get playlists to work.  Its painful to have to keep swapping out cards all the time to try and get music playlists on the player when all the music is already on it, just not with a playlist setup for the mood of the moment.  Making 100 track playlists on the actual player is suffice it to say to painful to even ponder - not to mention that if/when you remove a given card you lose your playlists.

Jan 18, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #16,150 of 18,652
HO and LO was panasonic
bg was replaced for smd if not wrong

if you sensitive to high maybe you can try denon caps it have smooth characteristic, my friend use it, but it was rare caps

Jan 18, 2015 at 9:57 PM Post #16,152 of 18,652
  I have continued to try to no avail - has anyone figured out how to get a m3u playlist on the device to work?  I have tried copying exported ones from Musicbee to every directory possible on the player but simply can't get playlists to work.  Its painful to have to keep swapping out cards all the time to try and get music playlists on the player when all the music is already on it, just not with a playlist setup for the mood of the moment.  Making 100 track playlists on the actual player is suffice it to say to painful to even ponder - not to mention that if/when you remove a given card you lose your playlists.

I give up create playlist by using default FW and installed latest Meditry Rockbox Sound Unlocked FW. Better sound. Better UI. And easier to create playlist. 

Jan 19, 2015 at 2:11 AM Post #16,153 of 18,652
  HO and LO was panasonic
bg was replaced for smd if not wrong

if you sensitive to high maybe you can try denon caps it have smooth characteristic, my friend use it, but it was rare caps

Yeah, You used Panasonic FC series like I did, I figured it out :wink: We`ll see after week about LO caps. If highs won`t smoothen out littlebit then probably going to try Vishay BC 038 RSU and Nichicon FG (It might fit) next and if those don`t work, then probably going with stock but new nichicon FW for LO.

Jan 19, 2015 at 4:45 AM Post #16,154 of 18,652
black gate nx 1uf was fit if not wrong~
replace opamp was possible too my friend was already did it he replace it with 627

Jan 19, 2015 at 5:12 AM Post #16,155 of 18,652
Yeah, I know, in addition to FC`s (they are in place of smd but haven`t figured it out yet where, Your secret is still secret ;D) I haven`t tried changing opamps yet. Probably won`t because I love what I`m hearing out of HO with Panasonic FC :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back