The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Nov 18, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #15,496 of 18,652
  I'm new to the custom firmwares of the DX50 and run the 1.5 firmware.   I like a balanced sound.  What's the latest custom one to download and how do I download it?   Reading this forum there are many options and it becomes a little confusing.   Thank you.

You should try sound unlocked 1.3.3. Very natural sound. 
https://github.com/dm1try/dx50_sound_unlocked

Nov 18, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #15,497 of 18,652

I'm new to the custom firmwares of the DX50 and run the 1.5 firmware.   I like a balanced sound.  What's the latest custom one to download and how do I download it?   Reading this forum there are many options and it becomes a little confusing.   Thank you.

You should try sound unlocked 1.3.3. Very natural sound. 
https://github.com/dm1try/dx50_sound_unlocked

Agreed. If you're looking for natural and transparent then Sound Unlocked is the way to go!

Nov 18, 2014 at 4:48 PM Post #15,498 of 18,652
But don`t forget to access hidden bootup menu and set it to lossless or FLAC-only mode (If You are using lossless files) and try different irr+cpu settings. Recommend to start with FLAC-only + IRR off + CPU default. If You like more intimate soundstage with more separation in width, then IRR ON + CPU 312.

But I recommend to try DOC`s FW`s too. New Docs Favourite Firmware Final version is also very good if You like more larger soundstage and imaging :wink: 

If DOC would only make version of it with only tad smoother/dynamic highs... oh man, it would be endgame FW imo ;P
I haven`t tried surround version yet but will do it right away.

As a long time fan of Sound Unlocked 1.3.3 (flac-only, irr off, cpu default), I tried NDFFF for some days and it has amazing soundstage size and air between instruments/sounds, everything is so pushed apart and transparent. But unfortunately for me there is something littlebit "off" with highs (causes littlebit fatigue for my high-sensitive ears/brain) and kicks also have littlebit weird "spike" on top of "thump" hit. Hard to explain but sounds somewhat unnatural. Despite all those "issues" my pedantic ears/brain detects, definitely recommend to try it for large soundstage & "out of head" imaging lovers.

Going back to SU 1.3.3 and everything went back to very natural and balanced sounding with nothing excess or short. 
Soundstage is also large and natural but only tad less airy/extended than with NDFFF.
IMHO, Sound Unlocked 1.3.3 is like reference FW for DX50 :wink: 

But I have to admit, I might have "fallen in love" littlebit with DOC`s NFFF. Maybe it will fit better with my soon to arrive HAVI B3 Pro1 regarding highs. That would be awesome! But Piston V2.1 and Fidelio X1 also sound very good with NDFFF.

Ok, enough... going to try out that surround version now. But always before installing DOC`s FW be sure to check his FW list... it is endlessly renewing itself! ;D

Edit: Ok, tried that NDFFF surround edition and didn`t impress me with "improvements". Not sure yet but I think NDFFF is better.
       Atm going to try new sound explosion grand final.

Edit2: I think NSE grand final is better than NDFFF surround edition but NDFFF is better than both.
       Will experiment more between different editions. These are just short initial impressions.

Edit3: NDFFFinal > NSE Grand Final > NDFFF Surround Edition. Though I really like NDFFF, I must revert to Sound Unlocked 1.3.3 again, because of highs. Pity, I really think DOC would nail it if highs would be tad smoother/dynamic.

Nov 19, 2014 at 2:15 AM Post #15,499 of 18,652
  But don`t forget to access hidden bootup menu and set it to lossless or FLAC-only mode (If You are using lossless files) and try different irr+cpu settings. Recommend to start with FLAC-only + IRR off + CPU default. If You like more intimate soundstage with more separation in width, then IRR ON + CPU 312.

But I recommend to try DOC`s FW`s too. New Docs Favourite Firmware Final version is also very good if You like more larger soundstage and imaging :wink: 

If DOC would only make version of it with only tad smoother/dynamic highs... oh man, it would be endgame FW imo ;P
I haven`t tried surround version yet but will do it right away.

As a long time fan of Sound Unlocked 1.3.3 (flac-only, irr off, cpu default), I tried NDFFF for some days and it has amazing soundstage size and air between instruments/sounds, everything is so pushed apart and transparent. But unfortunately for me there is something littlebit "off" with highs (causes littlebit fatigue for my high-sensitive ears/brain) and kicks also have littlebit weird "spike" on top of "thump" hit. Hard to explain but sounds somewhat unnatural. Despite all those "issues" my pedantic ears/brain detects, definitely recommend to try it for large soundstage & "out of head" imaging lovers.

Going back to SU 1.3.3 and everything went back to very natural and balanced sounding with nothing excess or short. 
Soundstage is also large and natural but only tad less airy/extended than with NDFFF.
IMHO, Sound Unlocked 1.3.3 is like reference FW for DX50 :wink: 

But I have to admit, I might have "fallen in love" littlebit with DOC`s NFFF. Maybe it will fit better with my soon to arrive HAVI B3 Pro1 regarding highs. That would be awesome! But Piston V2.1 and Fidelio X1 also sound very good with NDFFF.

Ok, enough... going to try out that surround version now. But always before installing DOC`s FW be sure to check his FW list... it is endlessly renewing itself! ;D

Edit: Ok, tried that NDFFF surround edition and didn`t impress me with "improvements". Not sure yet but I think NDFFF is better.
       Atm going to try new sound explosion grand final.

Edit2: I think NSE grand final is better than NDFFF surround edition but NDFFF is better than both.
       Will experiment more between different editions. These are just short initial impressions.

Edit3: NDFFFinal > NSE Grand Final > NDFFF Surround Edition. Though I really like NDFFF, I must revert to Sound Unlocked 1.3.3 again, because of highs. Pity, I really think DOC would nail it if highs would be tad smoother/dynamic.

so agree , are you listening doc ? just one more modification to NDFFF and you will please a lot of your fans .
bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 19, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #15,500 of 18,652
Thanks for the recommendations.   I have just completed adding SU 1.3.3.   How do I know I have it on the player?   I completed the system update process.   When I check on System Info the player still shows 1.5.   Thanks Mark.

Nov 19, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #15,501 of 18,652
  Thanks for the recommendations.   I have just completed adding SU 1.3.3.   How do I know I have it on the player?   I completed the system update process.   When I check on System Info the player still shows 1.5.   Thanks Mark.

1.3.3 is based on the 1.5.0 firmware.
turn off the player 
switch the lock button in the up position
reboot the player
you then should be greeted with the hidden 
settings screen set to flac only irr off default 
switch the lock button back to the down position 
and you are good to go .
darthsmile.gif

Nov 19, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #15,502 of 18,652
Because it is based on original 1.5.0. 

To access hidden bootup menu:

1. Slide lock button to ON position
2. turn off player leaving lock button into ON position (hold down on/off button).
3. turn on player leaving lock button into ON position.
4. choose your settings.
5. slide lock button to OFF position and it will resume intu UI.

Edit: LOL, I`m late with answer ;D

Nov 19, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #15,504 of 18,652
  Because it is based on original 1.5.0. 

To access hidden bootup menu:

1. Slide lock button to ON position
2. turn off player leaving lock button into ON position (hold down on/off button).
3. turn on player leaving lock button into ON position.
4. choose your settings.
5. slide lock button to OFF position and it will resume intu UI.

Edit: LOL, I`m late with answer ;D

lol  
bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 20, 2014 at 6:41 AM Post #15,507 of 18,652
Hi guys,

I'm having a problem with my transport buttons becoming unresponsive.

Someone in the Rockbox thread suggested to open it up and put some card between the buttons and the switches for better responsiveness. My question is: Has anyone ever opened up the DX50? I've only managed to open the back of it. So right now I can only access the back of its board. But I'm afraid to open the front, because it doesn't look to come off as easy as the back. Any suggestions?

Nov 20, 2014 at 7:40 AM Post #15,508 of 18,652
Maybe this thread pictures will help You: http://www.head-fi.org/t/720776/ibasso-dx50-mods

Users who are viewing this thread

Back