The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Nov 13, 2014 at 3:14 AM Post #15,452 of 18,652
Maybe littlebit more details what is better?
rolleyes.gif

Nov 13, 2014 at 9:42 AM Post #15,455 of 18,652
  Maybe littlebit more details what is better?
rolleyes.gif

I can't say there's a little bit more details but..
it is more balanced than SU 1.3.3, meaning that the bass presence has improved. Detail is almost equal I must say. Mids are slightly more forwarded if I'm not mistaken and high are pretty much the same.

but the soundstage is bigger! how crazy is this?! what the hell? everything feels like pushed apart from me compared to 1.3.3. wow!

Thank you to. I try hard. :)

but doc! why less audio file support ? :frowning2:

Nov 13, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #15,456 of 18,652
After listening to Docs favorite firmware v3 for the last hour I think it may be my favorite fw overall. I actually liked stock 1.5 a lot. I thought SU 1.3.3 was good but too flat for my liking. DFFv1 was very good. I think I like DFFv3 sliiiightly more. I would for sure fail a blind ABX test between v1 and v3, but with the benefit of knowledge I think v3 is slightly more airy (in a good way). It still has mids that really shine with enough bass and trebble to make it balanced. Its just lively enough for me to really like, but not overly boosted.
(if anything, I miss the SOLID thump that stock 1.5 has on the low end, but overall I think DFFv3 fits a wider range of music better. Also, using the LO to my car's Aux in, DFF definitely has the best sound. 1.5 was way too bassy for my crappy stock stereo. I had to turn the bass to -2 or -3 (out of 5) to get 1.5 sounding ok.)

The seperation and imaging on The David Grisman Quintet's blue CD is great. Its the best the CD has ever sounded on the DX50 (although the best I've ever heard it was an X5/E12 into HE400i's, but thats a $1k setup, so not a fair comparison.)

I ended up leaving DFFv1 on my player for the last few days and like it a lot. I will probably leave v3 on for the next few days and see how I feel about it then. My guess is that I will stick with it.

Last thoughts:
I've listened to a wide variety of music with v3 and liked how everything sounds: Thom Yorke, System of a Down, David Grisman, Rx Bandits, Joni Mitchell, Crystal Method and Portishead

Nov 13, 2014 at 1:46 PM Post #15,457 of 18,652
Nov 14, 2014 at 8:16 AM Post #15,459 of 18,652
  completely different sound

The Final loose the bass compare to V3, The Final can drive Piston and give decent bass, but no with TDK BA200 and SR60i 
For me V3 more balance, energic without loose control .

DOC2008,
Btw, what is the goal (sonic wise) of Final version?
I love the display of Final version by add vinyl image on play mode, cool...

I didn't try Black Edtion yet

Nov 14, 2014 at 1:54 PM Post #15,460 of 18,652

[COLOR=283A5E]i'm constantly being amazed at what DOC2008 has come out with.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=283A5E]Thank you DOC2008.[/COLOR]

Thank you to. I try hard. :)

I'm wondering the same thing in regard to the final version. It sounds ds like V3 is better, but I guess I'll have to try them for myself!

Nov 15, 2014 at 4:19 AM Post #15,465 of 18,652
And soundstage size is also back and not smaller than SU 1.3.3? Will test later today this final version, been too busy with work lately, sorry.
If I find this FW to be good, then will do more analytical comparing between SU 1.3.3 and DOC`s NDFF Final :wink: ....IF I have time, LOL.

Edit: Okay, couldn`t resist trying final version and by about 15min listening I have to say it is definitely best FW that DOC has come out for DX50 ! It has opened up soundstage and all intruments/sound are nicely pushed apart with great layering and imaging. Definitely more "out of the head" than his previous. Not sure but something might bother me littlebit about highs. Seems too bright sometimes but will test it for a while and see if any fatigue comes. But so far it is very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back